Oh...Their Awsome!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Oh...Their Awsome!

When you're with a group friends or in a party setting and subject of music comes up, is their an artist that you say to everyone you like, but you really don't. For whatever reason you're embarrassed to admit that you don't like them.

This happen to me recently and I just went along with the group, they were talking about David Bowie and how great he was/is. I think he is a tremendous talent, but I never bought any of his music, or ever have the urge to listen to him. If he's on the radio that's ok, but I never said "oh, I have to listen to some Bowie". For some reason he just never did it for me.

Has anyone ever done this, or am I just weird? Which might be a whole other subject.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Oh...Their Awsome!

I know something like this has probably happened at some point. Whether with music, a movie or a popular T.V. show.

I know that I would not go along with the program.

As the world's second most opinionated man, I would say what I really think and scr*w them if they can't handle my true feelings.

I am a big fan of Bowie, but I can't convince anyone to listen if his music doesn't do it for that person.  I respect it when a person says they have tried to listen to an artist and they just don't like it.

The world would be a pretty dull and boring place with no variety if we all liked the same stuff.

Imagine if everyone collected the same stuff, watched the same shows and read the same books. We would all be clones of each other ....and this is a thought that scares me. Many science fiction stories warn of the dangers of an homogonized society.

I even except Republicans, Yankee fans and people who love Disco, because it amuses me to know that there people crazier than me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

This happens occasionally with my friends when it comes to Bruce Springsteen. I like him as a songwriter, but not really crazy about a lot of his music. Because i sometimes go along with them when they play, or discuss him, they seem to think I like his music. It's funny though, I always end up turning the station whenever he comes on, and my friends are like "Hey That's Bruce, you love him"  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Probably back when I was a teenager. I may have said I liked KISS just because the girls in the room did.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It would depend on the situation.  If I was with people I had no interest in discussing it with, I'd probably mumble 'yeah, they're great' with just a touch of sarcasm that I know they wouldn't detect.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Oh...Their Awsome!:
    [QUOTE]Probably back when I was a teenager. I may have said I liked KISS just because the girls in the room did.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

jessey:  I'm pretty sure the girls in the room were only saying they liked Kiss because they thought you liked them.   :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In answer to the OP -- not really. If I don't like a band/performer, I'll say so. I'll admit to their talent. For instance, I know friends who love U2. I can't stand U2 -- actually Bono's voice -- but I recognixe that they are talented.

The flip side, which might be another thread.

Are their performers or groups that you won't admit to liking -- like being a closet Barry Manilow fan or something like that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Oh...Their Awsome!:
    [QUOTE]When you're with a group friends or in a party setting and subject of music comes up, is their an artist that you say to everyone you like, but you really don't. For whatever reason you're embarrassed to admit that you don't like them. This happen to me recently and I just went along with the group, they were talking about David Bowie and how great he was/is. I think he is a tremendous talent, but I never bought any of his music, or ever have the urge to listen to him. If he's on the radio that's ok, but I never said "oh, I have to listen to some Bowie". For some reason he just never did it for me. Has anyone ever done this, or am I just weird? Which might be a whole other subject.
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

Interesting question, and funny, too.  :D   

It wouldn't embarrass me to go against the grain in a situation like that, but ... it might not be worth it, if you know what I mean.  

I've spoken up in the past, and sometimes lived to regret it -- that's why I'm going to say it 'depends' --   I filter according to the situation.

Also, I'd never say anything if, for example, the person or people had gone to a concert and were raving about how good it was --  I wouldn't have to say I like the artist, all I'd say is, "wow, sounds like you had a great time" --  they'd never know my true opinion of the artist.  :P 

I'm telling you, there are times when it's more important (and easier) to be nice than to be completely honest.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

Beatles

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Oh...Their Awsome! : I nteresting question, and funny, too.  :D    It wouldn't embarrass me to go against the grain in a situation like that, but ... it might not be worth it, if you know what I mean.   I've spoken up in the past, and sometimes lived to regret it -- that's why I'm going to say it 'depends' --   I filter according to the situation. Also, I'd never say anything if, for example, the person or people had gone to a concert and were raving about how good it was --  I wouldn't have to say I like the artist, all I'd say is, "wow, sounds like you had a great time" --  they'd never know my true opinion of the artist.  :P  I'm telling you, there are times when it's more important (and easier) to be nice than to be completely honest.   :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Agree...maybe I phrased the question wrong when I included friends. My scenario was in a party setting with people that for the most part, I just met. If in a group of my friends...I would definitely speak my mind, as they now me to do. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Probably back when I was a teenager. I may have said I liked KISS just because the girls in the room did.

This is the exact behavior that (almost) explains the "popularity" of such useless things as Ratt and Motley Crue (and such) . . .   and yes, I admit to being guilty of it myself once upon a time.

Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]I've never had any trouble saying "Man, they suck", about anyone I didn't like.   More often though, it was a case of "I don't get them".  Which is nicer, and also usually true. They're not terrible I just didn't understand the appeal.  I had some serious lapses in judgement, some of which I fixed.  The Clash for instance. They were all the rage, and I did not get what the hubbub was about.  I came around, although the hype never did match the music to my ears.  Ditto for Elvis Costello. I've had the converse problem, but only once in my life.  I liked Journey back in the early 80's, but would never volunteer that information to anyone.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

lol

See, this line of thinking ties into the 80s thread where some people got defensive and sensitive. I like Journey as well, but I don't sit around listening to it as part of regular listening. It's a clear guilty pleasure situation. Neil Schon is great, Perry has great range and they could write some good songs, but it's complete cheese.  They were the kind of band you'd take your gf too and enjoy it or go and have a good backdrop trying to get laid or something.  They're like a late 70s/early 80s version of Maroon 5 or something with better musicians.  lmao

That song Anytime from '77 is as good a rock song as you'll find from that era, but in no way would I consider it a song or a band in the same echelon as the greats either.  It's way too polished and produced. Too canned.

As for admitting whether or not I like I band...I am honest and explain what it is I can't get about a band or artist I don't care for. Usually, if it doesn't have soul, it doesn't have much.  I don't say it "sucks" unless it really does. haha

The Clash were more political.  Probably the best of the punk bands if you like punk.  Saw Elvis Costello at a festival last year. I never got it either. Snoozefest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I took really pretty girl in high school to a Doobie Brothers concert (after Michael McDonald took over). If I ever run for public office, this bit of information could sink my campaign.

Hey, KISS had a couple decent songs ... just heard "Rock and Roll All Nite" on the radio the other day and couldn't help myself from singing along.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh...Their Awsome! : I took really pretty girl in high school to a Doobie Brothers concert (after Michael McDonald took over). If I ever run for public office, this bit of information could sink my campaign. Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

This cracked me up.. I run at the mention of the Doobie Brothers..haha

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Just realized I have two accounts. leafswin and leafswin27.. hahaha depends on how I sign in I guess. Oh well I am the same idiot on both accountsSmile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The Rocky Horror Picture Show has music in it so I hope this counts.  Back in the day, I saw it at a quaint movie theatre in the trendy Hippie area of Cleveland Hts..  I couldn't see the entertainment value, humor, etc. but I told most of my friends who thought it was great that I thought it was good.  I found it boring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh...Their Awsome! : lol See, this line of thinking ties into the 80s thread where some people got defensive and sensitive. I like Journey as well, but I don't sit around listening to it as part of regular listening. It's a clear guilty pleasure situation. Neil Schon is great, Perry has great range and they could write some good songs, but it's complete cheese.  
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Agree.  The "what huh" thing about Journey (and Foreigner, too) is how their popularity crosses multi-generations of listeners.  I know teenagers who LOVE them, and feel they "grew up with them" because their parents were listening to this music and they absorbed it as part of their youth, too.   

Everytime I think I can't listen to "Don't Stop Believing" again -- there I am, again ... and again ... can't stop.    Heard a kid on tv say that his music teacher played some Journey for his class, and that's how he came to love them.   A kid, like 12 years old.   Gotta love it.   Not a steady diet by any measure, but cheese ages well sometimes.  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]The Rocky Horror Picture Show has music in it so I hope this counts.  Back in the day, I saw it at a quaint movie theatre in the trendy Hippie area of Cleveland Hts..  I couldn't see the entertainment value, humor, etc. but I told most of my friends who thought it was great that I thought it was good.  I found it boring.
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

Spot on.   Very funny, Cavs.  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Just realized I have two accounts. leafswin and leafswin27.. hahaha depends on how I sign in I guess. Oh well I am the same idiot on both accounts
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]
    At least you probably didn't do what I did.  I think maybe twice, I started sports threads in the music section, by accident. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Ah. Michael MacDonald was to the Doobie Brothers, as Phil Collins was to Genesis. Neither is good, yet both made them a gazillion dollars.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]
    Excellent analogy.
    Sounds like another thread topic ... changes that completely ruined a once-good band.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh...Their Awsome! : This cracked me up.. I run at the mention of the Doobie Brothers..haha
    Posted by leafswin[/QUOTE]
    I hear ya. Some of their early stuff wasn't bad, and "South City Midnight Lady" is a great song. But after Michael McDonald took over ... indeed, head for the hills!