One Trick Ponies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

One Trick Ponies

Here's my top ten list of bands whose songs all sound the same (to me anyway).  Doesn't make them bad, it just makes them boring

No particular order.

1.  Nickelback
    2.  Oasis
    3.  The Killers
    4.  The Ramones
    5.  Evenescence
    6.  Linkin Park
    7.  Coldplay
    8.  Red Hot Chili Peppers
    9.  AC/DC
    10. Jamiroquai

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: One Trick Ponies

In Response to One Trick Ponies:
    [QUOTE]Here's my top ten list of bands whose songs all sound the same (to me anyway).  Doesn't make them bad, it just makes them boring No particular order. 1.  Nickelback 2.  Oasis 3.  The Killers 4.  The Ramones 5.  Evenescence 6.  Linkin Park 7.  Coldplay 8.  Red Hot Chili Peppers 9.  AC/DC 10. Jamiroquai
    Posted by schadenfreude99[/QUOTE]

Someone once told Angus Young of AC/DC that his group has made the same album 12 times. Angus said, no you're wrong, we've made the same album 13 times.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

In the case of the Ramones, AC/DC and the Red Hot Chili Peppers , I agree these groups have a distinctive sound and you know it's them immediatly. The others , I don't listen to frequently enough to say anything about....it's likely I am older than you and can only comment on the "older groups."

I don't think it so much that these groups sound the same all the time, but more that they have never varied their style much. Some artists experiment and try new things (Neil Young, for example) others stick with what they are comfortable doing and what sells.

Try to compare music with painting. You can easily tell a Van Gogh from a Salvador Dali. One is impressionism the other surrealism.To expect Dali to paint in the style of Van Gogh would be like asking the Beach Boys to play "Crazy Train" and have it sound as good as the Ozzie version...it just doesn't work.

I am reminded of a movie quote by Leonard Nimoy as Spock in Star Trek II Wrath of Khan, when Kirk asks him how his cadets will react to a space battle , Spock replies,"Each will perform to there own strength.' or something like that.When you have a winning combination and it is providing you with a very nice paycheck and it is what we call "a hit" , changing that could jeopardize your livelyhood. Basically "milk it for all it's worth" applies here. As long as people are slapping down money for it, keep doing it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Good pick for #1 with Nickelback.  I have a big problem with that guy's voice.

I think Eddie Vedder is to blame for a particular kind of voice that came into vogue.  It's sort of a harsh, raspy, tortured-soul kind of voice.  I actually like  Vedder's voice because it seems like the real thing.  But it seemed to spawn a lot of Vedder type voices that get on my nerves-Creed, Nickelback, Staind, Default, Theory of a Deadman etc. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I can't call AC/DC boring.  Sure it's mostly straight-on boogie, but there are a lot of great riffs in there that don't really sound exactly like each other.  And Bon Scott was a very entertaining vocalist.  Brian Johnson did start to wear out his welcome after a couple of albums. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

You forgot ZZ Top.

And Zilla, there are certainly some bands/musicians that land on a "sound" and milk it for all it's worth - but that's what seperates great musicians from the rest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a band that doesn't sound like itself and can't seem to do it.

I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread.

(although Paul Simon's One Trick Pony is a fine album in its own right)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

The Ramones practically invented their own genre of music.  Even with the hundreds of punk-rock bands, nobody sounded exactly like the Ramones.  Johnny Ramone himself created a new kind of guitar-playing in spite of the fact that he was certainly no virtuoso.  Not the same as a one-trick pony, IMO.

I also dissent on Oasis and AC/DC - their songwriting skills don't get enough credit, IMO, much less their ability to rock with some of the best  - at least among their peers.  Both were great live bands as well.  RHCP is not bad, though rather inconsistent...good songs, but mediocre albums.  Frusciante is an underrated, prolific guitarist, and Flea is...well, Flea.

I would include Lenny Kravitz and Goo Goo Dolls on the list, however.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'd add The Cars to that list. Their first album was great, but their sound didn't really change too much from that point on and they never really topped it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: One Trick Ponies:
    [QUOTE]I'd add The Cars to that list. Their first album was great, but their sound didn't really change too much from that point on and they never really topped it.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree, but Elliott Easton had some of the best 20 second solos ever.  Even hardcore punks liked The Cars.

Their "Anthology" has quite a few unreleased tracks that are damm good; I recommend it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I'd add The Cars to that list. Their first album was great, but their sound didn't really change too much from that point on and they never really topped it.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

There are many bands that never topped their debut album.

The Cars debut is so good that it was hardly possible unless you made the greatest album ever made.

I give you these bands/artists who had awesome debuts:

Van Halen
    Asia
    Elvis Costello

As Van Halen and Elvis Costello "changed" their sound, they lost fans and became less popular....Asia changed mainly because of the reformation of Yes and ELP robbed them of their drummer and guitarist ( they toughed it out and actually , while less popular, they actually still sound good).

Perhaps "change" can be good for some and not so good for others. I guess every Rock band is always one bad album from the unemployment line and one good album from superstardom?...Keep doing what works, or dare to be different? Tough choice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I will throw in another great Debut album -- Boston. While "Don't Look Back," was good and spawned a lot of singles, their first album was a monster. So many great songs on that one album.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I thought The Cars Heartbeat City was a very good album. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Add ELO to that list.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Trick Ponies : There are many bands that never topped their debut album. The Cars debut is so good that it was hardly possible unless you made the greatest album ever made. I give you these bands/artists who had awesome debuts: Van Halen Asia Elvis Costello As Van Halen and Elvis Costello "changed" their sound, they lost fans and became less popular....Asia changed mainly because of the reformation of Yes and ELP robbed them of their drummer and guitarist ( they toughed it out and actually , while less popular, they actually still sound good). Perhaps "change" can be good for some and not so good for others. I guess every Rock band is always one bad album from the unemployment line and one good album from superstardom?...Keep doing what works, or dare to be different? Tough choice.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Ok Van Halans 1984 was I belive their 6th album and it was their biggest selling one.

So how did they "lose" Fans after Van Halan 1. 

I am not saying it was the best they had just the biggest seller which makes it had to say they really lost fans.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

And by the way ASIA sucked and still suks

Other then Boston any group named after a continent, country, or city pretty much stinks.

The list,
    Chicago, ick.
    Europe. The less said the better.
    Alabama, god no.
    Asia, bad,
    America, Epic Bad.
    London, not even good enough to get a good record deal.

Oh wait Berlin was ok, and Terri Nunn could really sing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Add ELO to that list.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

ELO I would disagree on.  If you feel that way it might be because of Jeff Lynne's voice.  But they did go through a few different phases with their music. Their earlly albums are very different from the later ones. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Don't forget Dave Matthews

Totally agree on Nickelback, not Oasis though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Trick Ponies :   Ok Van Halans 1984 was I belive their 6th album and it was their biggest selling one. So how did they "lose" Fans after Van Halan 1.  I am not saying it was the best they had just the biggest seller which makes it had to say they really lost fans.
    Posted by shumirules[/QUOTE]

I was talking about "change" , but apparently you skimmed over and didn't grasp what I was saying. The 'change' that occurred with Van Halen was when they replaced David Lee Roth with Sammy Hagar, THERE WAS NO PART OF MY POST THAT SAID THESE GROUPS LOST APPEAL AFTER THEIR 1ST ALBUM....just that these groups all made their "best " album when they debuted. That Van Halen's "1984" outsold the debut is not the question...this fact would not be proof that it is a"better" album, just that more people bought it.

Your OPINION of Asia is noted and I will never mention this group again as I am sure that it will be met with a nasty remark on how awful you think they are.

Funny, I have never based my like or dislike of a group on whether or not they are named after a person, place or thing. I usually let my ears and brain tell me what I like and what I don't.

I happen to think Berlin is no match for Chicago or Asia, but I won't lower myself to your level and post nonsense like "any group named after a contintent, country or city stinks"....they could name a group after a mass murderer and if the music's good , I won't care.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Trick Ponies : ELO I would disagree on.  If you feel that way it might be because of Jeff Lynne's voice.  But they did go through a few different phases with their music. Their earlly albums are very different from the later ones. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    You're right, ELO doesn't belong on that list. Taking a closer look, ELO got rid of a lot of it's original members in '88, thus a different band.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Trick Ponies : I was talking about "change" , but apparently you skimmed over and didn't grasp what I was saying. The 'change' that occurred with Van Halen was when they replaced David Lee Roth with Sammy Hagar, THERE WAS NO PART OF MY POST THAT SAID THESE GROUPS LOST APPEAL AFTER THEIR 1ST ALBUM....just that these groups all made their "best " album when they debuted. That Van Halen's "1984" outsold the debut is not the question...this fact would not be proof that it is a"better" album, just that more people bought it. Your OPINION of Asia is noted and I will never mention this group again as I am sure that it will be met with a nasty remark on how awful you think they are. Funny, I have never based my like or dislike of a group on whether or not they are named after a person, place or thing. I usually let my ears and brain tell me what I like and what I don't. I happen to think Berlin is no match for Chicago or Asia, but I won't lower myself to your level and post nonsense like "any group named after a contintent, country or city stinks"....they could name a group after a mass murderer and if the music's good , I won't care.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Well arent you special, I never said if you read my post that groups suk because they are named after something just that the ones I listed all suk and are named about City's... etc.

And hey music is objective to the ears some people think Lady GAGA is good so you never can say what some people will like.

And yes Asia just Suks out loud.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Trick Ponies : ELO I would disagree on.  If you feel that way it might be because of Jeff Lynne's voice.  But they did go through a few different phases with their music. Their earlly albums are very different from the later ones. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I think Jeff Lynne has a certain production style that always sounds the same. If you listen to his production work on The Traveling Wilbury's, Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever , and Roy Orbison's song "You Got It", I believe you will hear similarities in sound that hark back to the ELO sound.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Trick Ponies : I tend to agree, but Elliott Easton had some of the best 20 second solos ever.  Even hardcore punks liked The Cars. Their "Anthology" has quite a few unreleased tracks that are damm good; I recommend it.
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

I like The Cars, but after Candy-O I lost interest in them. I did get the Anthology, because that sticks mainly to the best songs of their later albums and other interesting tracks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Trick Ponies :   Well arent you special, I never said if you read my post that groups suk because they are named after something just that the ones I listed all suk and are named about City's... etc. And hey music is objective to the ears some people think Lady GAGA is good so you never can say what some people will like. And yes Asia just Suks out loud.
    Posted by shumirules[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that music is purely objective, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but, C'mon Berlin was not even in the same zip code musically, and its members not even remotely talented as Steve Howe, Geoff Downes, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer. You may hate their music, but their talent was formidable. Berlin was a good alternative band though, probably better than most at that time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Trick Ponies : I agree with you that music is purely objective, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but, C'mon Berlin was not even in the same zip code musically, and its members not even remotely talented as Steve Howe, Geoff Downes, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer. You may hate their music, but their talent was formidable. Berlin was a good alternative band though, probably better than most at that time.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Sorry but to me Asia was pretty much the poster child for everything that was wrong with the music seen in the early 80's

They were a pre-packaged quote un quote supergroup, they should have been called the monkey(lol).

Maybe I just dislike them so much because I was about 13 14 when they started and I was more into the Clash, and much edgier rock then.

Berlin to  me gets points more for Terri Nunn's voice ( ok she was smoking hot to) But I am not really a big fan of Berlin  I just dont think they stink like as bad as say Chicago.

Now Asia I would rank higher among bands named after places, they were better no doubt then CHicago, Eoupre, and ALablama.

But again Naming yourself after a place seems to be the kiss of death unless you are named Boston. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Have to dissent on Chicago.  Their first two albums were epic heaps of jazz-rock-funk with outstanding hooks and solid musical chops.  Yes, they fell off precipitiously afterwards into the yacht rock-70s pop wasteland and were never quite the same despite multi-multi-platinum success. 

But there were definite reasons why they sold so well and lasted so long: skilled songcraft that appealed to millions.  I mean, look at Abba, who's sold a gazillion records worldwide...I'm no big fan, but I can appreciate that the band was working at a very high level of craft.

As for Asia - same thing...it's much easier to cast aspersions than it is to really listen and understand what made them popular, if only for a short while.  I don't think anyone would argue that Asia was better than ELP even at their best