Ordinary people ( not celebrities) named in songs you've heard.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Ordinary people ( not celebrities) named in songs you've heard.

I remember years ago when I used to hear 'The Ballad Of John And Yoko' John named Peter Brown ( "Peter Brown called to say...") ...and I would wonder , who the heck is Peter Brown. Eventually, over the years I stumbled on many Beatles books and I read about Peter Brown , an assistant to Brian Epstein, who took over many of his duties after Epstein's death.

So, I was thinking, who else is mentioned in song besides famous people and fictional people?

I could only come up wih three offhand:

Peter Brown

Claude Nobs ( Funky Claude , from 'Smoke On The Water')

and Bruce Berry , the roadie who worked for Neil Young, CSNY etc. , mentioned in Neil's 'Tonight's The Night.'

Assuming Bobbie McGee is either fictional or not a real name, I am unable to name any others at this time.

Any that you folks can remember?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Ordinary people ( not celebrities) named in songs you've heard.

This is borderline, but in Jackson Browne's 'Cocaine' from the Running on Empty album, he mentions the album's producer, Greg Ladanyi.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" mentions a few including Alice (Brock),her husband "Ray" and Police Officer Obie (William "Obie" Obanhein).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

Was Eleanor Rigby a real person? 

Yes, a deceased person.  McCartney saw the name on a gravestone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"Georgia on my Mind" was written for Georgia Carmichael, Hoagy Carmichael's sister; Hoagy co-wrote the song.

I had to check on this, but I was 95% sure; don't ask me what made me think of it or how I knew.   The memory works in strange ways when you least expect it.  :D

Also, as an aside, as you know, Ray Charles popularized / covered the song, and it's been Georgia's state song for about 25 years.   

"I really didn't say everything I said."  Yogi Berra 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Too many to count, if we're counting fictitious as opposed to real people, but it's not always clear from nicknames and such, esp. women.

Morphine had "Claire", "Sheila", "Mary", "Candy"...

The Dead had "Althea", "Bertha", (Ramble On) "Rose", Tennessee "Jed", Jack Straw...

Ben Folds' songs are peppered with names both real and fake

and so on...

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoryFromMeffa. Show GregoryFromMeffa's posts

Levon Helm and Alvin Tostig - Elton John and Bernie Taupin's "Levon"

He was born a pauper to a pawn on a Christmas day
    When the New York Times said God is dead
    And the war's begun
    Alvin Tostig has a son today

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

If the Blues count you can notch a few more.  An obvious one would be Poor "Willie Brown" from Robert Johnson's 'Crossroads'.  Real guy, who made a few records himself.  Furry Lewis had a couple, there was a real 'Casey Jones' (no, not the Dead tune with the same title),  and 'Judge Harsh Blues' (actually it was about a Judge named Horace, but the White Dude putting it in the can misheard it).

Was Eleanor Rigby a real person? 

Dylan mentioned of bunch of folks, some of them I'm sure existed, especially in his early 60's stuff.

"The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" is an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHVdcWVARc

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Joni Mitchell's song "Woodstock" mentions Max Yasgur (Yasgur's farm). I don't think Max Yasgur qualifies as a celebrity  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Zilla, here's one that's a perfect fit for what you're looking for - Grand Funk's 'We're An American Band'.

Sweet, sweet Connie was doin' her act

She had the whole show and that's a natural fact

Referring to groupie Connie Hamzy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to GregoryFromMeffa's comment:

Levon Helm and Alvin Tostig - Elton John and Bernie Taupin's "Levon"

He was born a pauper to a pawn on a Christmas day
    When the New York Times said God is dead
    And the war's begun
    Alvin Tostig has a son today

Good one. Here's a song by Damein Jurado called Rachel and Cali, I have no idea who the two girls are, but the song is really good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA14an6Hlu8

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Zilla, here's one that's a perfect fit for what you're looking for - Grand Funk's 'We're An American Band'.

Good call Hfx !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

[QUOTE]

Good call Hfx !!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I think I'm just lucky I beat you to it. Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Mr. Brownstone

funny thing is I can think of a lot of songs with just a first name but a full name is tough. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Some real good ones!

I'm wondering if Mr. Bojangles was a real person?....probably, real name?...who knows?

Slim, Joni Mitchell did a song called "Furry sings the Blues" , I assume it is Furry Lewis.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoryFromMeffa. Show GregoryFromMeffa's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Some real good ones!

I'm wondering if Mr. Bojangles was a real person?....probably, real name?...who knows?

Slim, Joni Mitchell did a song called "Furry sings the Blues" , I assume it is Furry Lewis.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

Walker has said he was inspired to write the song after an encounter with a street performer in a New Orleans jail and that the song does not refer to the famous stage and movie personality Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. Walker said while in jail for public intoxication in 1965, he met a homeless white man who called himself "Mr. Bojangles" to conceal his true identity from the police. He had been arrested as part of a police sweep of indigent people that was carried out following a high-profile murder. The two men and others in the cell chatted about all manner of things, but when Mr. Bojangles told a story about his dog, the mood in the room turned heavy. Someone else in the cell asked for something to lighten the mood, and Mr. Bojangles obliged with a tap dance

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Don't know if he was referring to real people, but Jim Carroll mentions some people who died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt5OZJ1LrbQ

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

the song Taxman by The Beatles mentions some polititians in England at that time

Pigs by Pink Floyd mentions Mary Whitehouse

and in The Final Cut, Roger drops a whole lot of names

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoryFromMeffa. Show GregoryFromMeffa's posts

In response to lefig's comment:

the song Taxman by The Beatles mentions some polititians in England at that time

Pigs by Pink Floyd mentions Mary Whitehouse

and in The Final Cut, Roger drops a whole lot of names

Brezhnev took Afghanistan and Begin took Beirut

Guatierri took the Union Jack

And Maggie took a cruiser down (with all hands)

Apparently to try and get it back.

What have we done?

-------------------------------

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome, Reagan and Haig,
    Mr. Begin and friend, Mrs. Thatcher, and Paisly,
    "Hello Maggie!"
    Mr. Brezhnev and party.
    "Scusi dov'è il bar?"
    The ghost of McCarthy,
    The memories of Nixon.
    "Who's the bald chap?"
    "Good-bye!"
    And now, adding colour, a group of anonymous latin-
    American meat packing glitterati.

Nice catch

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Leonid Brezhnev,Menachem Begin, Ian Paisley, Richard Nixon , Margaret Thatcher, Joseph McCarthy  and Alexander Haig all qualify as famous people....certainly not "ordinary."

Mary Whitehouse is borderline, because she would be a British celebrity...Americans probably wouldn't have ever heard of her if not for Pink Floyd.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Church did a song called Welcome, with many people named in the song. However, even though I've not heard of some of them ( Lucy Jordan, Alan Muller,Melvyn Basten and Joyce Bell) I am going to say these are well known people in Australia where the Church originated. So this wouldn't count either.

The song names a wide range of people from Johnny Thunders to William Tell to Joan Crawford to Jack Lord to Stephanie Powers to Al Capone, it is a mishmash of famous names all rolled into one song that is like a rollcall.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

devildavid mentioned 'People Who Died' by Jim Carroll.  The names mentioned in the song may or may not have been real people Carroll knew.

Another example of songs where real people may be mentioned is some of Springsteen's earlier, autobiographical songs.  A lot of them appear under nicknames.

We could probably find out which of these were real people somewhere on the Web...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

devildavid mentioned 'People Who Died' by Jim Carroll.  The names mentioned in the song may or may not have been real people Carroll knew.

Another example of songs where real people may be mentioned is some of Springsteen's earlier, autobiographical songs.  A lot of them appear under nicknames.

We could probably find out which of these were real people somewhere on the Web...

Yes, I was thinking about Springsteen's songs too. Sometimes artists use composites of people they know, or dress up real people to make them sound more exotic.