Outside The Box: Free Concert and more - The Common, July 20th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Outside The Box: Free Concert and more - The Common, July 20th

http://outsidetheboxboston.org/

A revolutionary event is happening this July in the heart of Boston, one that promises to unite neighborhoods, citizens, and artistic communities throughout the city: Outside The Box.

From July 13th – 20th, the first annual performing arts festival will turn public spaces like the Boston Common and City Hall Plaza into performance spaces, with over 200 events showcasing the best of Boston and Massachusetts.

And one of the things that makes Outside The Box so revolutionary? Every event is completely FREE!

In true festival tradition, Outside The Box not only aims to unify the community, but to make art accessible to everyone. From theater to dance, the symphony to independent bands, classic to cutting-edge – whatever your preference, Outside The Box will intrigue you, draw you in, and introduce you to new talent. All you have to do is show up, and let our diverse programming do the rest.

“Our region is already known for its universities, hospitals and for its history,” says founder and philanthropist Ted Cutler, whose lifelong dream has been to bring his hometown a world-class, citywide arts festival. “It’s my hope that we add the arts to what people think of when they think of Boston.”

Now more than ever is the time to support the city and show the world our talents, so join us this summer at Outside The Box, Boston’s MASSive performing arts festival.

The musical highlight might be the Saturday night concert: The MIghty Mighty Bosstones, The Lemonheads, and Buffalo Tom will be performing.  And did I mention the best part: it's FREE!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Outside The Box: Free Concert and more - The Common, July 20th

The full musical lineup:

-ABADABAD  - ADAM EZRA GROUP - ADAM JENSEN - AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER - ALEJANDRO ESCOVEDO -ALEX GABLE AND PASADO DE MODA  -AMETHYST  -ART DECADE -AUGUSTANA - BARNSTAR!  -BEARSTRONAUT -BERKLEE GOSPEL & ROOTS CHOIR  -BLIND BOYS OF ALABAMA --BOSTON CHILDREN'S CHORUS  -BOSTON GAY MEN'S CHORUS -BOSTON LANDMARKS ORCHESTRA  -BOSTON LYRIC OPERA BOSTON OPERA COLLABORATIVE  - BOYS LIKE GIRLS -BRYAN WHITE  -BUFFALO TOM  -CAROLINE KOLE -CHAD HOLLISTER BAND  -COYOTE KOLB  -CROSSWALK ANARCHY -DALE ANN BRADLEY  -DARLINGSIDE  -DAVE KOZ SUMMER HORNS -DAVID WAX MUSEUM  -DRESSED FOR THE OCCASION 0ECHO AND DRAKE -EMPEROR NORTONS STATIONARY MARCHING BAND -ESTHER ROJAS FT MARIA MULATA -FRONT MEN OF COUNTRY MUSIC  -GABRIELA LENCKA -GENTLEMEN HALL  -GUY MENDILOW ENSEMBLE  -ISIS LUNE -ISSAC DELGADO  -JENNA GLATT -JENNY DEE & THE DEELINQUENTS  -JESSICA LATSHAW -JOE FLETCHER & THE WRONG REASONS  -JOE ROBINSON -JOHN MICHAEL MONTGOMERY  -JP JONES -JUANA AQUERRETA Y AMIGOS  -KEL  -LONESTAR  -LOS LOBOS -LOS LONELY BOYS  -MARCELLA CAMARGO QUARTET -MARY BICHNER AND TRIPLE STRUNG TRIO -MAURO PAGANI & ORCHESTRA -POPOLARE -LA NOTTE DELLA TARANTA -MCALISTER DRIVE  -MIGHTY MIGHTY BOSSTONES  -MILAD & EREN NEMES  -NICOLAS CASTAÑEDA -GROUP  NIKOLAS -METAXAS RHYTHM OF THE UNIVERSE  -RICKY SKAGGS -ROOTS OF CREATION  -SARAH BLACKER  -SHEA ROSE  -SHUN NG -SHYE BEN TZUR & THE RAJASTHAN GYPSIES -SIOBHAN MAGNUS AND DOUBTFUL GUEST -SMITHSONIAN JAZZ MASTERWORKS ORCHESTRA, A TRIBUTE TO ELLA FITZGERALD -TAJ MAHAL TRIO  -TALL BOYS  -TALLAHASSEE -THE ALTERNATE ROUTES  -THE BREW  -THE BRIDGEBUILDERS -THE DUNWELLS  -THE JAN AND DEAN SHOW FT. DEAN TORRENCE -THE LEMONHEADS  -THE MALLETT BROTHERS BAND -THE PARTY BAND  -THE REBEL SHIP  -THE URBAN NERDZ -THE VELVETEEN PLAYBOYS  -WILL DAILEY & THE RIVALS -WOMEN OF THE WORLD

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

This thing looks exhausting and exhaustive.   Hope the weather cooperates.  

They've been heavily advertising the Lemonheads and Buff Tom, and that concert space will be jammed with fans.   Again, you cannot beat these FREE opportunities.  

BTW, there are also a few yoga festivals over the summer -- none of them are free, though.   Bummer.  

I just saw a workshop called "Yoga Beastie" -- yoga done to classic Beastie tracks, with someone called MC Yogi as the instructor.    Whatever makes you happy, right?  

"I am no fan of perfection."  Ada Louise Huxtable  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

This thing looks exhausting and exhaustive.   Hope the weather cooperates.  

They've been heavily advertising the Lemonheads and Buff Tom, and that concert space will be jammed with fans.   Again, you cannot beat these FREE opportunities.  

"I am no fan of perfection."  Ada Louise Huxtable  

I sent the link to a friend, and he replied that the lineup looks good, but the place is likely to be "a zoo".

To which I said, "Unlike every other free concert you've ever been to, you mean?"

As it is, the weather might be my only reservation to attending.  Curious about he accompanying food fest, though....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

I sent the link to a friend, and he replied that the lineup looks good, but the place is likely to be "a zoo".

To which I said, "Unlike every other free concert you've ever been to, you mean?"

As it is, the weather might be my only reservation to attending.  Curious about he accompanying food fest, though....

Let's face it, Matty, some people just don't belong at these events, and I am not necessarily an easy sell, either.   You have to have the right temperament to begin with, or it's best to stay away.  

Funny, but I once heard a radio DJ lament that he didn't have that "big crowd DNA" that allowed him to have fun where there were thousands of people screaming and yelling, and singing, and jamming themselves into a small space, and having the time of their lives.   He said he wished he could be like that -- it looked like fun -- but every time he tried it he didn't have a good time and actually hated it.   Laughing 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Let's face it, Matty, some people just don't belong at these events, and I am not necessarily an easy sell, either.   You have to have the right temperament to begin with, or it's best to stay away.  

Funny, but I once heard a radio DJ lament that he didn't have that "big crowd DNA" that allowed him to have fun where there were thousands of people screaming and yelling, and singing, and jamming themselves into a small space, and having the time of their lives.   He said he wished he could be like that -- it looked like fun -- but every time he tried it he didn't have a good time and actually hated it.   Laughing 

[/QUOTE]

I agree (this friend and I have been to plenty of shows together, so he was just being cranky and showing his old face).  And the Bosstones aren't really for the timid, either, so it kind of goes with the territory.

I'm not saying anyone MUST love live shows to dig the music, but again, it's all about the effort and the experience...the getting up, getting out, and getting involved.  In this as with most things, IMO.

A yoga class via skype wouldn't seem to have the same impact as the real thing, would it...?  I mean, it could, but....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I agree (this friend and I have been to plenty of shows together, so he was just being cranky and showing his old face).  And the Bosstones aren't really for the timid, either, so it kind of goes with the territory.

I'm not saying anyone MUST love live shows to dig the music, but again, it's all about the effort and the experience...the getting up, getting out, and getting involved.  In this as with most things, IMO.

A yoga class via skype wouldn't seem to have the same impact as the real thing, would it...?  I mean, it could, but....

As for the yoga class -- that's a good analogy to what I see as antithetical to the entire experience / practice.   Not that everyone would agree, but you see what I mean (and of course, anyone that doesn't agree about that is clearly uninformed.  :P  )

See the other (festival stereotyping) thread for agreement on the idea of "getting out of your own way" and realizing that there's more than meets the eye when gathering to hear music.   Still, festivals and festival environments are not for everyone, and that's okay.   I wouldn't want to be anywhere with a stick in the mud, and unfortunately, I know this from experience.  :(

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

There was a middle-zone scathing article about the philanthropist who is running and paying for this event (to the tune of what will result in over 5M bucks).    I wish this guy all the luck in the world because it sounds like he's going to need it to pull off all of the intended plans by the launch date which is July 13th.   

The "Dorchester-born millionaire", Ted Cutler, was warned on a number of occasions and on a number of issues, but he didn't back down.   One of the main event planners, who moved here from out of state last year, was ultimately forced out / quit.   As the story was written, she had every reason to leave.   She left Cutler in the lurch, but he didn't seem to care.   

He attracted no paying sponsors.   Not even one.   He's had a bunch of failed negotiations.  One example was that he had been in negotiation to have Ben Folds perform, and bring an entire a cappela element to the festival, including workshops and performances.   Folds made space in his schedule and there were 30 performers lined up -- and then silence.

So you have to wonder.    

"....Cutler’s Boston dream will, in fact, be less than advertised, a smorgasbord of mostly concert acts thrown together by a deep-pocketed donor.

That’s a far cry from an event Cutler has likened to a Boston version of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, a world-renowned annual event whose slate ranges from dance and comedy to opera, theater, and music, performed by artists who descend on the Scottish city from all around the globe."

It was made clear that some of the acts, and some of the plans, were just too expensive.   This guy Cutler is very unhappy the planning discord has 'gone public' but it sounds like that was unavoidable, considering how many promises were broken.   

The concert that is mentioned in the OP does sound fine and ready to go, so hopefully, that will be one of the highlights.   

Cutler seems to want / think this will be an annual event, and 3-4 years from now, acts will be lining up to be here.   That's his vision, anyhow.   

Nothing you have not given away, will ever be really yours - C.S. Lewis

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

There was a middle-zone scathing article about the philanthropist who is running and paying for this event (to the tune of what will result in over 5M bucks).    I wish this guy all the luck in the world because it sounds like he's going to need it to pull off all of the intended plans by the launch date which is July 13th.   

The "Dorchester-born millionaire", Ted Cutler, was warned on a number of occasions and on a number of issues, but he didn't back down.   One of the main event planners, who moved here from out of state last year, was ultimately forced out / quit.   As the story was written, she had every reason to leave.   She left Cutler in the lurch, but he didn't seem to care.   

He attracted no paying sponsors.   Not even one.   He's had a bunch of failed negotiations.  One example was that he had been in negotiation to have Ben Folds perform, and bring an entire a cappela element to the festival, including workshops and performances.   Folds made space in his schedule and there were 30 performers lined up -- and then silence.

So you have to wonder.    

"....Cutler’s Boston dream will, in fact, be less than advertised, a smorgasbord of mostly concert acts thrown together by a deep-pocketed donor.

That’s a far cry from an event Cutler has likened to a Boston version of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, a world-renowned annual event whose slate ranges from dance and comedy to opera, theater, and music, performed by artists who descend on the Scottish city from all around the globe."

It was made clear that some of the acts, and some of the plans, were just too expensive.   This guy Cutler is very unhappy the planning discord has 'gone public' but it sounds like that was unavoidable, considering how many promises were broken.   

The concert that is mentioned in the OP does sound fine and ready to go, so hopefully, that will be one of the highlights.   

Cutler seems to want / think this will be an annual event, and 3-4 years from now, acts will be lining up to be here.   That's his vision, anyhow.   

Looks to me like this concert will be free to everyone except Ted Cutler, who seems to be doing something good for the City of Boston  I just read through the Globe article from a couple of day's ago and it does look like this festival will be a lot less than originally intended,  but maybe his vison was just too grand. I would be happy just to see Buffalo Tom.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The backstory is indeed interesting, and honestly, I even a little more intrigued to see how it pans out.

As Woodstock and other events have proved, these things don't just magically appear or go off without a hitch in smooth fashion.  Often, it takes time - years - for organizers to get things right and address concerns...and even then it doesn't always work.  (Hello...Weather...!)

And those are for sponsored, paid admission festivals, never mind a free one in the middle of a major city.  Life Is Good is an example of a festival that only finally nailed down a venue a few years ago...to their and everyone's benefit.

Personally, I love the idea of a Boston city festival (not the bricks of city hall plaza!), but it's truly easier said than done.  I would really like to see the harbor islands or other natural features used in some capacity for future events.  

[Aside: I've always had a fantasy of a 'floating' arena in the harbor with the skyline as a backdrop.  The pavilion is OK, but limited.  Castle Island would be cool, similar to Fort Adams in Newport...]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

So you have to wonder.    

Looks to me like this concert will be free to everyone except Ted Cutler, who seems to be doing something good for the City of Boston  I just read through the Globe article from a couple of day's ago and it does look like this festival will be a lot less than originally intended,  but maybe his vison was just too grand. I would be happy just to see Buffalo Tom.

I can see you edited your post since reading the article (do you have a digital subscription, or is it online free today? -- I've never seen you post a comment.   I post (fairly) regularly.  I don't feel right trying to copy and paste articles when they are that lengthy, and trusted that my summary got the main point(s) across.    Did you not see it on Sunday?

The festival is free, granted, and you can hardly find fault with that, if you attend any part of it.   But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a letdown, if you expected "more" somehow.  Or if it's poorly run ... if in fact, it is.    The website and all associated scheduling looks all set to go.   

The man is in his eighties, so honestly, he needed help from a professional event planner and from people who are much younger to know what's relevant.   Then, he turns on them, treats one in particular with disrespect, and ...?   So this guy has an ego.  Again, not that anyone attending cares.

He also, while perfectly legal, planned the event on the Boston Common, even after being told and asked to reconsider from the conservation standpoint.    The land cannot withstand an event like that --- with millions of people converging on those grounds, with stages, etc., all at once.   But he did it anyhow.   Again, not saying that's wrong,  it just shows something about his intent "at all costs" , if you know what I mean.  

It also goes to show -- you're going to get criticized what ever you do in this life.   Crucified or ...?   There are many song lyrics that will tell you that truism.   :)   

Just seeing Buff Tom for free, you can't go wrong.   But you have to be there on time, or it would not be worth the trip into Boston (for you) just for that. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The backstory is indeed interesting, and honestly, I even a little more intrigued to see how it pans out.

As Woodstock and other events have proved, these things don't just magically appear or go off without a hitch in smooth fashion.  Often, it takes time - years - for organizers to get things right and address concerns...and even then it doesn't always work.  (Hello...Weather...!)

I know.  Me, too.   When you attend an event,  you don't always think, WOW, how did they pull this off?     The article pointed out the extent of the planning, and I found it riveting, as I've always been a "back stage lurker" in a way.    It does and can take years to get an inaugural event off the ground -- and then, the minute the event ends, when the dust has barely had a chance to settle, the kick off for the next year commences.   NOTE: this is why, with much respect to many rock musicians, I am awed by the way they often pull together to be part of an event (many of the "disaster relief" concerts, for example, and then the Boston Strong concert, etc.), because they pull off these concerts with such short notice.   

[QUOTE]

And those are for sponsored, paid admission festivals, never mind a free one in the middle of a major city.  Life Is Good is an example of a festival that only finally nailed down a venue a few years ago...to their and everyone's benefit.

Personally, I love the idea of a Boston city festival (not the bricks of city hall plaza!), but it's truly easier said than done.  I would really like to see the harbor islands or other natural features used in some capacity for future events.  

[Aside: I've always had a fantasy of a 'floating' arena in the harbor with the skyline as a backdrop.  The pavilion is OK, but limited.  Castle Island would be cool, similar to Fort Adams in Newport...]

[/QUOTE]

The guy had a vision, and he's making it happen.   It's sure to be a mob scene near the stage(s) for the music acts on the weekends, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.   I am more curious about it now, esp. with the date not far away.  

Castle Island would be an amazing location.   Agree.  It's hard to find the right blend of "urban" and "natural" for a location in Boston.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

So you have to wonder.    

I can see you edited your post since reading the article (do you have a digital subscription, or is it online free today? -- I've never seen you post a comment.   I post (fairly) regularly.  I don't feel right trying to copy and paste articles when they are that lengthy, and trusted that my summary got the main point(s) across.    Did you not see it on Sunday?

The festival is free, granted, and you can hardly find fault with that, if you attend any part of it.   But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a letdown, if you expected "more" somehow.  Or if it's poorly run ... if in fact, it is.    The website and all associated scheduling looks all set to go.   

The man is in his eighties, so honestly, he needed help from a professional event planner and from people who are much younger to know what's relevant.   Then, he turns on them, treats one in particular with disrespect, and ...?   So this guy has an ego.  Again, not that anyone attending cares.

He also, while perfectly legal, planned the event on the Boston Common, even after being told and asked to reconsider from the conservation standpoint.    The land cannot withstand an event like that --- with millions of people converging on those grounds, with stages, etc., all at once.   But he did it anyhow.   Again, not saying that's wrong,  it just shows something about his intent "at all costs" , if you know what I mean.  

It also goes to show -- you're going to get criticized what ever you do in this life.   Crucified or ...?   There are many song lyrics that will tell you that truism.   :)   

Just seeing Buff Tom for free, you can't go wrong.   But you have to be there on time, or it would not be worth the trip into Boston (for you) just for that. 

Yoga- You cracked me up with "back-stage lurker."  I am a bit of one myself. 

I didn't see the piece until this afternoon. I do subscribe to the Globe online, but hardly ever comment on the articles, I do enough of that hereSealed. I agree with you that it is very hard to put together an event of this size without some serious growing pains, and that seems to be the case.  If nothing else, it will be a chance to listen to some really good music for free :)

eta. sorry for the long post, but I can't edit this for some reason tonight>

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Yoga- You cracked me up with "back-stage lurker."  I am a bit of one myself.  

Yeah, I can't help myself.  :)  I also like news articles that discuss the nitty gritty about coordinating artsy events such as this, even if the event doesn't interest me in entirety.  Just amazes me.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Looks like they're pulling out all the stops to advertise this festival.   I've seen it advertised on tv, as well as print, online, a FB presence (of course), etc.    

They're hoping to attract at least a million people over the course of nine days, collectively, for all of the events.  If this humidity keeps up, that's going to produce a lot of sweat.  

Whatever.  Smile