Overplayed, *not* Overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Overplayed, *not* Overrated

Hey!  Figured I give Sonics *both* versions, after the controversy.   Laughing    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey!  Figured I give Sonics *both* versions, after the controversy.   Laughing    

[/QUOTE]

Ahahaha!  

Of course, there are some songs over the 2-minute mark I enjoy....for example....it's a long list....including such diverse elements as....nope, none, if you can't get in and out under 120 seconds zzzzzzzz

;-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Thanks Mojo. It does nothing for me personally, but I think I get it. An ex-flatmate in Cambridge used to love him and play him all the time so I must have heard it before but must have tuned out. That's not cool, at least pay attention and develop an opinion, right!

Ooh! (faux) Name dropping opportunity here! ;-)

After I managed to not get tossed out of a Mass State Uni before I graduated in 2004, I went to Europe to goof around (still am, haha) for about a year. Did whatever to earn enough money to fund eating and sundry other physical interests. In Edinburgh I met a girl named, believe it or not, Dot Scott, and decided to stay there for a while. Applied for two bartending jobs, got both despite never having mixologised previously....without doubt I got the job at the "Boston Bean Company", a bar embedded in a posh hotel on Leith Street, because I was from Boston.

There were two main types of clients: hideous, arrogant, patronising, badly dressed Yanks on their way to or from St. Andrews.....and lots of athletes and artists....most of whom I didn't know.

I swear on the lives of my daughters this is true...the only patrons that I really remember were a very famous mainstream artist I didn't/don't enjoy much but respect/ed, and a "famous" underground artist I didn't love then but do today. Both were famously "introverted", or "shy", or "quiet", etc....and for the record, I'm very non-invasive when meeting people i.e. don't ask a bus driver about buses!

Van Morrison wouldn't even raise his eyes from his bangers and mash to respond to my greeting of "Hi, I'm "Sonics"....his band were literally waving their hands at me...No no no no!

But Jeffrey Lee Pierce? "Hi 'Sonics', I'm Jeffrey Lee". Then and now there was a major difference in their fame....but, to me, either one behaves kindly or one doesn't. And without doubt neither of them was interested in chatting to a crappy little Southie bartender. But one made a tiny little effort to be civil, and the other....See You Next Tuesday.

My intentionally belaboured point? [BTW Harvey, I'm heavily mocking myself and trying to gently mock you....ok?]  :-)))))))

Gun Club: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DheFFTmuyu4

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

idiot

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks Mojo. It does nothing for me personally, but I think I get it. An ex-flatmate in Cambridge used to love him and play him all the time so I must have heard it before but must have tuned out. That's not cool, at least pay attention and develop an opinion, right!

After I managed to not get tossed out of a Mass State Uni before I graduated in 2004, I went to Europe to goof around (still am, haha) for about a year. Did whatever to earn enough money to fund eating and sundry other physical interests. In Edinburgh I met a girl named, believe it or not, Dot Scott, and decided to stay there for a while. Applied for two bartending jobs, got both despite never having mixologised previously....without doubt I got the job at the "Boston Bean Company", a bar embedded in a posh hotel on Leith Street, because I was from Boston.

There were two main types of clients: hideous, arrogant, patronising, badly dressed Yanks on their way to or from St. Andrews.....and lots of athletes and artists....most of whom I didn't know.

I swear on the lives of my daughters this is true...the only patrons that I really remember were a very famous mainstream artist I didn't/don't enjoy much but respect/ed, and a "famous" underground artist I didn't love then but do today. Both were famously "introverted", or "shy", or "quiet", etc....and for the record, I'm very non-invasive when meeting people i.e. don't ask a bus driver about buses!

Van Morrison wouldn't even raise his eyes from his bangers and mash to respond to my greeting of "Hi, I'm "Sonics"....his band were literally waving their hands at me...No no no no!

But Jeffrey Lee Pierce? "Hi 'Sonics', I'm Jeffrey Lee". Then and now there was a major difference in their fame....but, to me, either one behaves kindly or one doesn't. And without doubt neither of them was interested in chatting to a crappy little Southie bartender. But one made a tiny little effort to be civil, and the other....See You Next Tuesday.

My intentionally belaboured point? [BTW Harvey, I'm heavily mocking myself and trying to gently mock you....ok?]  :-)))))))

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've always read how Van Morrison can be a real jerk. Still love his music. Luckily, I've never met him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've always read how Van Morrison can be a real jerk. Still love his music. Luckily, I've never met him.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you get the point of that intentionally goofy post, DD, and I appreciate it.....but let's extend the logic!:

My favourite writer is Hermann Hesse....my favourite musician/band is Husker Du....my favourite artist is Picasso....and my favourite humourist is Dorothy Parker.....all irrelevant, it's just personal taste.

But what if Hesse turned out to be a rapist (like Thomas Jefferson)?  Or Dorothy Parker a serial killer?  How would that affect my view of their art?

I'm not sure what my view would be.....I'd like to think I would be able to ignore such gruesome behaviour and still be able to appreciate their art.  But I'm not sure I could.....

Meet back here around 6 Nov?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you get the point of that intentionally goofy post, DD, and I appreciate it.....but let's extend the logic!:

My favourite writer is Hermann Hesse....my favourite musician/band is Husker Du....my favourite artist is Picasso....and my favourite humourist is Dorothy Parker.....all irrelevant, it's just personal taste.

But what if Hesse turned out to be a rapist (like Thomas Jefferson)?  Or Dorothy Parker a serial killer?  How would that affect my view of their art?

I'm not sure what my view would be.....I'd like to think I would be able to ignore such gruesome behaviour and still be able to appreciate their art.  But I'm not sure I could.....

Meet back here around 6 Nov?  

[/QUOTE]

I've always thought that the less we know about our favorite artists the better. I'm of the school that feels that once the work is created it is no longer attached to the creator. It stands on its own and should be judged on its own merits. It is released to the world the same as people send out their children. We can't judge the child by the parent and vice versa. Art is not the province solely of good people, even if we would like to think it is.

See ya on the 6th.