Pick 3...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Pick 3...

Ever have a song that just sticks in your mind over the years ? What are the 3 songs that over the years just don't get old to you?

Here's my 3...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrbrhQknLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzUuj-3BG58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JO3eEHpYi0

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Pick 3...

My 3 songs would be :

Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the sand

Led Zepplin - Rock and Roll

Slim,if you're looking for a few songs with the mandolin:

Rod Stewart - Maggie May and Mandolin Wind (Back when Rod was still good)

Led Zepplin - Battle of Evermore,Boogie with Stu,Going to California and Gallows Pole

Bruce Hornby - Mandolin Rain

Grateful Dead - Ripple

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

Love in Vain - Rolling Stones off Get your Ya-Ya's

Echoes - Pink Floyd (Live and Studio)

The Real Me, Dr. Jimmy, Punk and Godfather or I've Had Enough - The Who Quadrophenia

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Here Comes Your Man - The Pixies

Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie

Do You Remember Rock and Roll Radio - The Ramones

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Stones

Bastards Of Young - Replacements

Bonus:

Janie Jones - The Clash

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

3 songs that don't get old?

You have got to be kidding me. At least 95% ( at least!) has to be over 10 years old. Many of my favorites are around 40 years old.

Do you know how hard this is?

But because this thread is started by RogerTaylor , I know exactly how to answer this question.

Like A Rolling Stone

Talkin' Bear Mountian Picnic Massacre Blues

Ballad Of A Thin Man

All by Bob Dylan.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd - Matty

--------------------

Oh thats a good one.  Plus it is seriously long!  CLEARLY a tribute(???) to Syd.  Tell ya what though, the title song of "Wish You Were Here", is the same, but the album is not.  Nor Dark Side, nor its successors, Animals (THE most under-appreciated/over-looked), and The Wall (which I consider their epitome, (feel free to disagree).

Oh and By the way, Final Cut, which actually ANNOUNCES, the breakup of Floyd, is really quite good - in fact, great - by all other standards.

LONG is not a bad measure for this thread, by which, I would nominate, Close to the Edge - Yes, Thick as a Brick - Tull, Pictures at an Exhibition, AND Tarkus - ELP   -   and beleive it or not, Arlo Guthrie's, Alice's Restaurant (which I know, word for word, plus timely, political ad lib).

Oh, and for length - Rush - 2112!

Others would incude Bach B minor Mass (lets talk greatest, EVER!!!), Beethoven 9 (Deaf, he never heard it - oh yes he did!)  Britten War Requiem (lest it scare the jebebus out of me), and lets gets serious, Mozart's Requiem, since a Mass for the Dead, actually killed him.  How scary is that!

But for R&R - Inagaddavida, beyond a GREAT guitar riff...

... SUCKS!

Still gotta think about my 3.

G

[/QUOTE]

I love the Final Cut by Pink Floyd. This is one of those you have to let grow on you. I guarantee most people won't like it after only one listen....I didn't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd - Matty

--------------------

Oh thats a good one.  Plus it is seriously long!  CLEARLY a tribute(???) to Syd.  Tell ya what though, the title song of "Wish You Were Here", is the same, but the album is not.  Nor Dark Side, nor its successors, Animals (THE most under-appreciated/over-looked), and The Wall (which I consider their epitome, (feel free to disagree).

Oh and By the way, Final Cut, which actually ANNOUNCES, the breakup of Floyd, is really quite good - in fact, great - by all other standards.

LONG is not a bad measure for this thread, by which, I would nominate, Close to the Edge - Yes, Thick as a Brick - Tull, Pictures at an Exhibition, AND Tarkus - ELP   -   and beleive it or not, Arlo Guthrie's, Alice's Restaurant (which I know, word for word, plus timely, political ad lib).

Oh, and for length - Rush - 2112!

Others would incude Bach B minor Mass (lets talk greatest, EVER!!!), Beethoven 9 (Deaf, he never heard it - oh yes he did!)  Britten War Requiem (lest it scare the jebebus out of me), and lets gets serious, Mozart's Requiem, since a Mass for the Dead, actually killed him.  How scary is that!

But for R&R - Inagaddavida, beyond a GREAT guitar riff...

... SUCKS!

Still gotta think about my 3.

G

[/QUOTE]

For me, SOYCD is their pinnacle; the apex of what they did before and the setup for what would come afterward.  It's alternately nostalgic and grand; sincere and sarcastic.  A few other songs come close (e.g., Comfortably Numb), but I don't think any others exceed it.  A masterpiece.  It was so good, they had to break it in half... but still used it to bookend the album.  The last five or so minutes are 'prog' rock perfection.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Dance with Me - Orleans

You Shook me All Night Long - AC/DC

Faithfully - Journey

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McsWKczU6wc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QP-SIW6iKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

I know quite the jump around between those three but it seems i almost always have those songs stuck in my head.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Tuesday Afternoon - The Moody Blues
    Hey Jude - The Beatles
    Roundabout - Yes

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm with Zilla.  How am I supposed to do this in 3 songs?  Anybody who's read my posts knows where I'm at musically.  But I'll treat this as an exercise in summing myself up.

Blue Oyster Cult - Then Came the Last Days of May

The Who - The Real Me

Robin Trower - Day of the Eagle

Notes: 1) Leaving the Beatles out because they're a given. 2) Not really my favorite BOC song, but it might be the coolest one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

3 songs that don't get old?

You have got to be kidding me. At least 95% ( at least!) has to be over 10 years old. Many of my favorites are around 40 years old.

Do you know how hard this is?

But because this thread is started by RogerTaylor , I know exactly how to answer this question.

Like A Rolling Stone

Talkin' Bear Mountian Picnic Massacre Blues

Ballad Of A Thin Man

All by Bob Dylan.

[/QUOTE]

Great list! I knew 3 would be difficult for a lot of posters

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ditto on the "just 3; this is too tough" comments above.  Random and INPO, here are a few that come to mind immediately:

BaBa O'Riley - The Who

Pure and Easy - The Who

Who's Gonna Drive You Home - The Cars

Honorary mention (to sneak in a 4th song): Sands of Time - Fleetwood Mac

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ditto on the "just 3; this is too tough" comments above.  Random and INPO, here are a few that come to mind immediately:

BaBa O'Riley - The Who

Pure and Easy - The Who

Who's Gonna Drive You Home - The Cars

Honorary mention (to sneak in a 4th song): Sands of Time - Fleetwood Mac

[/QUOTE]

Honorary mention (to sneak in a 4th song): Sands of Time - Fleetwood Mac - NOT ALLOWED!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm with Zilla.  How am I supposed to do this in 3 songs?  Anybody who's read my posts knows where I'm at musically.  But I'll treat this as an exercise in summing myself up.

The Who - The Real Me

Notes: 1) Leaving the Beatles out because they're a given. 2) Not really my favorite BOC song, but it might be the coolest one.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Soxnut, that's is really one of the BOCs coolest songs. My other ultra-favorite is Astronomy, and I like both versions, but the early one is a slight bit better. I have played the CDs Fire Of Unknown Origin and Secret Treaties so many times that all of the tracks on these could have been in my 'PICK 3.' ...I went with the Dylan songs just to p*ss RogerTaylor off....and hopefully get a laugh out of him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Who - The Real Me

[/QUOTE]

Hey Soxnut, that's is really one of the BOCs coolest songs. My other ultra-favorite is Astronomy, and I like both versions, but the early one is a slight bit better. I have played the CDs Fire Of Unknown Origin and Secret Treaties so many times that all of the tracks on these could have been in my 'PICK 3.' ...I went with the Dylan songs just to p*ss RogerTaylor off....and hopefully get a laugh out of him.

[/QUOTE]

You got the laugh! You wouldn't ---s me off, I respect everyones opinion here - if that doesn't come across my apologies.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I have to say that jesseyeric has been a perfect straight man for some of my unusual comedy stuff in the past. You definately set me up for the three Dylan songs. jessey has understood me for years now when many thought my humorous comments were made seriously.

It's all in fun, my friend!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

In response to leafswin27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here Comes Your Man - The Pixies

Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie

Do You Remember Rock and Roll Radio - The Ramones

[/QUOTE]

Ashes to Ashes is a great song.