Pretenders - Artist of the Day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Pretenders - Artist of the Day

This is a special request. For your consideration, I give you the Pretenders.

I thought their first album was one of the better debut albums. They had everything you could want. A great lyricist that happened to look great in leather pants and a kick - azz guitarist. Their rythm section was just as good. Sadly, Farndon and Scott died way too early and I really believe it took something out of Chris. Although she continued to write and record good music, it just seemed to be missing something.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

Re: Pretenders - Artist of the Day

brass in my pocket, thats "my song" the one i would have playing when i walked in to a room, if i was that type of person!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The first album is great, the second album is under-rated. The 3rd and 4th are good.

After that , the band is just O.K.

Because they scored a few top hit singles , they are considered "legendary" and are more well known than many bands who had little or no success as far as "hit songs."

I like what they did, I just feel that they just fizzled out too soon. I am sure the deaths of group members were largely responsible. Sort of like Badfinger , who had a similar fate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Some of their top hit singles got played way too much where I lived when they came out, so you know how that goes. Some of their other songs are OK to listen to .... seems that you must like music with fast rythms.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

A real rock band in the era of synths, hair spray, glitz and glam (all of which have their place, 'tis true), The Pretenders just plain rocked, and contrary to their name, I don't think they uttered a single false note

Agreed, they were sadly short-lived.  The loss of Scott is another of those great "what-ifs" in rock history...who knows how far they would have gone.  The first three albums were all highly accomplished records with a great mix of exuberation and heartfelt emotion...fun and feelings.

I saw them at FarmAid a couple years back, and they still rocked the house.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Don't let her cool singing accent throw you. Chrissy Hind was raised in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio which is south of Cleveland but closer to Akron. The rest of the Pretenders are probably British. They are on my well liked list. I regret never seeing them. Hopefully, one day I will get to hear Chrissy Hind.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Chrissy was hot, back in the day.  I always loved her voice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Pretenders - Artist of the Day:
    Hey Lloyd - this is your thread. Where the fcuk are you?
    Posted by jesseyeric

He's probably trying to help Theo work out a trade that will resuscitate the Red Sox.

We're close to going on life support, you know....Don't laugh, it's not funny , it's a very sad day when Oakland can take a big market club to school.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

In Response to Re: Pretenders - Artist of the Day:
    In Response to Re: Pretenders - Artist of the Day : He's probably trying to help Theo work out a trade that will resuscitate the Red Sox. We're close to going on life support, you know....Don't laugh, it's not funny , it's a very sad day when Oakland can take a big market club to school.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Close to life support, or maybe going back on the chain gang?  Seriously though, I went back to Fenway and my Pedey was gone.  Jacoby? -- not him baby, he's too precious!  This edition of the Sox may not be the talk of the town for long...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Sorry, Jess, I just saw this! I'm slow on the uptake!
    As you guessed, I'm a huge Pretenders guy. The first album was flawless, in my opinion, especially what was then Side Two -- from "Kid" through "Mystery Achievement." One of the greatest debut albums ever.
    "II" was a bit of a disappointment, at least at the time, but I like it more now than I did. And then "Learning to Crawl" ... fantastic. The lineup kept changing, twice due to tragic circumstances. But Chrissy remained at the helm and Martin Chambers on the skins.
    Saw them in '94, right after they released "Last of the Independents" -- a very underrated album. Was maybe the best live show I ever saw. Still remember the roof blowing off the place when they did "Love Colours."
    In short, Chrissy to me is the Queen of R&R.
    Side to Zilla: Don't confuse me with the morons! I know my limits.