Remember When MTV Was Good

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Remember When MTV Was Good

MTV was good for most of the 80s.

It started to go downhill when the M became "Michael Jackson" as in "MICHAEL JACKSON T V"

The album Thriller was released along with 3 videos you couldn't get away from. The "Billie Jean" video ( which is well done, very slick , and is also the MJ song I like best....nto counting the old JACKSON 5 stuff), the mini- movie, "Thriller" which was just too damn long for MTV and they played it too death ) I got really, really sick of seeing this 10 times a week!), and "Beat it" ( another slick production and an interesting video , but even better when Wierd Al spoofed it with "Eat It.") got real sick of seeing all three over and over and over.

Once Michael Jackson got center stage and then all the Rap and Hip Hop stuff started taking over , MTV was done as a music channel.

I think the early MTV was very slanted toward White groups like Devo, Pretenders, Talking Heads, Duran Duran, Psychedelic Furs, Kajagoogoo , and all those Post Punk bands....I believe the network got complaints from African American viewers that the station wasn't "Black" enough. Not only did they listen to the complaints they completely alienated White viewers by making thei programming "too Black."

I don't think they ever reached the proper mix. They went from being almost strictly for a young , middleclass, White audience to pandering to and audience that wanted Hip Hop , Rap and Pop and didn't care to watch Rock music videos. Then eventually to a network that showed NO music at all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from j-m-. Show j-m-'s posts

MTV's still "good" if you expand the MTV universe beyond the single channel.  On my FiOS setup, we have MTV and MTV2 - which I never watch.  Also, MTVU, MTV Jamz, MTV Hits, VH1, VH1Classic and VH1 Soul.

So, if you're looking for music, it's on the MTV Network - even if it's not on MTV istelf.

Now, I do want to nit pick about MTVJams and MTV Hits b/c they are a little too closely programmed. I wouldn't mind one of those stations going into playing more of a rock format.  Maybe take a bit more of the MTVU programming to do it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to j-m-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

MTV's still "good" if you expand the MTV universe beyond the single channel.  On my FiOS setup, we have MTV and MTV2 - which I never watch.  Also, MTVU, MTV Jamz, MTV Hits, VH1, VH1Classic and VH1 Soul.

So, if you're looking for music, it's on the MTV Network - even if it's not on MTV istelf.

Now, I do want to nit pick about MTVJams and MTV Hits b/c they are a little too closely programmed. I wouldn't mind one of those stations going into playing more of a rock format.  Maybe take a bit more of the MTVU programming to do it?

[/QUOTE]

MTV is not for rock fans...much less older rock fans like most of us here.

To my knowledge, VH1C is the only game in town for rock videos more than, say, 15 years old.

Several years ago, there was a non-commercial music video station that was a great mix of old and new.  Can't recall the name, but it was gone as quick as it appeared.

But I guess that's one reason why there's youtube...?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Matty,you might be refering to a channel called "FUSE".

I used to like MTV's "Closet Classics".They had some of the best stuff on there.I don't watch the MTV family of "music channels"now.I'm drawn to this channel I get through Comcast (UGH) called Palladia.They have some great older concerts and musical related movies,along with a lot of newer stuff as well including videos.I find it to be a rather entertaining station.

Here's  a link to their schedule:

http://www.palladia.tv/schedule.php

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To my knowledge, VH1C is the only game in town for rock videos more than, say, 15 years old.

Several years ago, there was a non-commercial music video station that was a great mix of old and new.  Can't recall the name, but it was gone as quick as it appeared.

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure mid-early MTV carried G n' R / Nirvana / Alice in Chains / Tool / Soundgarden / Pearl Jam / Etc videos, along with VH1.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

It was geat when it first came on! I couldn't wait to see the next World Premiere Video!

Spring Break concert's...HATED Downtown Judie Brown (a doorknob!)

Now, it's 16 and Pregnant...birthplace of "Backdoor Mom!" Uuuggggggg!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Have you watched "Later... with Jools Holland"?That's a program that really showcases a wide variety of music and musicians,all on the same show.These are typical types of blends of different bands appearing on the show: Bloc Party, Alice Cooper, Dionne Warwick, ALT-J and Josephine Oniyama,or Kanye West, Kings of Leon, Lorde, Sting, Drenge and Bill Medley.

I don't necessarily like every band or singer on every show,but it exposes me to newer bands that I haven't heard yet. I find it interesting the way the stage is set up with each band ready to go.Each band plays one song,then on to the next band.Once every band plays one song,they start over again with the first band.I like the way it's set up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Late 80's = 8 Balls + Headbangers Ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Had something of a crush on Martha Quinn way back when.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacksBadDay. Show JacksBadDay's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure mid-early MTV carried G n' R / Nirvana / Alice in Chains / Tool / Soundgarden / Pearl Jam / Etc videos, along with VH1.

[/QUOTE]

You can't really call 90s music "early MTV".  MTV was well on its downward path by 1987.  Early MTV was Duran Duran, Run DMC, Michael Jackson, Lionel Ritchie.  and it was good then, even if most of the music was pretty bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cringle22. Show cringle22's posts

MTV was still predominantly music videos through the mid 90s, the grunge and nu-metal fads - but it was already also having huge success with the "Real World" program, and the tipping point was reached right around then.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MTV was good for most of the 80s.

It started to go downhill when the M became "Michael Jackson" as in "MICHAEL JACKSON T V"

The album Thriller was released along with 3 videos you couldn't get away from. The "Billie Jean" video ( which is well done, very slick , and is also the MJ song I like best....nto counting the old JACKSON 5 stuff), the mini- movie, "Thriller" which was just too damn long for MTV and they played it too death ) I got really, really sick of seeing this 10 times a week!), and "Beat it" ( another slick production and an interesting video , but even better when Wierd Al spoofed it with "Eat It.") got real sick of seeing all three over and over and over.

Once Michael Jackson got center stage and then all the Rap and Hip Hop stuff started taking over , MTV was done as a music channel.

I think the early MTV was very slanted toward White groups like Devo, Pretenders, Talking Heads, Duran Duran, Psychedelic Furs, Kajagoogoo , and all those Post Punk bands....I believe the network got complaints from African American viewers that the station wasn't "Black" enough. Not only did they listen to the complaints they completely alienated White viewers by making thei programming "too Black."

I don't think they ever reached the proper mix. They went from being almost strictly for a young , middleclass, White audience to pandering to and audience that wanted Hip Hop , Rap and Pop and didn't care to watch Rock music videos. Then eventually to a network that showed NO music at all.

[/QUOTE]

Your avatar reminds me of the Rainbow video for Death Alley Driver (I know, different album, but still...). Ritchie Blackmore chasing Joe Lynn Turner around in a car lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JuliKell. Show JuliKell's posts

Can't put much store in your opinion when you cannot even get Downtown JULIE Brown's name correct. JS.

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was geat when it first came on! I couldn't wait to see the next World Premiere Video!

Spring Break concert's...HATED Downtown Judie Brown (a doorknob!)

Now, it's 16 and Pregnant...birthplace of "Backdoor Mom!" Uuuggggggg!

[/QUOTE]

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

All good things must come to an end.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All good things must come to an end.

[/QUOTE]

Welcome back jessey

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Thanks tcal. Hope all is well with you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I'm waiting for V66 to return...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

I find Palladia very good. Lots of older concerts and movies. I remember all the old MTV videos. The ones I recall I liked:

BOC - Burning for you

David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes

The Who - You better you bet

I still remember rusing home to watch Page & Plant unplugged. That was a huge event, or seemed like it.