Remembering John Lennon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Remembering John Lennon

John Lennon, a constant source of fascination and discussion to this day in December, 32 years since his death in 1980.  

There are a number of articles scattered around the web today; here's one that features the thoughts of a fan from John's native Liverpool:

http://www.examiner.com/article/remembering-john-lennon-a-liverpool-fan-shares-heart-felt-thoughts-and-memories

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Remembering John Lennon

That was a really good article Yoga,thanks for posting it.It still saddens me that John was taken away at such a young age by Mark Chapman.He still had a lot of life left to live and music to share.  

Also of note,today would have been Jim Morrison's 69th birthday.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thanks.  I thought it was a nice recollection, too, considering the fan that wrote it was so young at the time of John's death, and is now a mid-lifer.  

It's still fascinating that so many people can continue to mourn his passing.  It was a watershed moment.  

Picturing Morrison as a 69-year old is not easy.   Picturing John Lennon at the age of 70 is not all that difficult partly because Paul McCartney is still doing so well, and partly because John Lennon seemed to be an old soul.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

sad thinking back on that night... As far as the Beatles go I was always a huge John fan.. Not a big fan of McCartney at all. I hope Chapman has had  a miserable life in prison

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Too many people died too young.

I think sometimes we make too much of the famous people, the entertainers, the sports legends and we forget that lots of young people who were not famous died young, also.

They may not be heroes to everyone, but many were heroes just the same.

I love the music of John Lennon, he is one of my alltime favorites. But, I think about and remember many people I knew who are also gone. People none of you would ever have heard about.

Rock'n Roll turns out to be a dangerous business. I think  Rock'n'Rollers die young more often than race car drivers. Lennon is different though, he was the one who was assassinated, the only one we can be sure of, anyway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I just recently watched a multi-part documentary about Lennon on Youtube. What really struck me is the terrible traumas he went through in the early days of his career. His mother, his best friend Stu Sutcliffe, and the Beatles manager Brian Epstein all died tragically too young. I can only imagine how this must have affected him emotionally.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just recently watched a multi-part documentary about Lennon on Youtube. What really struck me is the terrible traumas he went through in the early days of his career. His mother, his best friend Stu Sutcliffe, and the Beatles manager Brian Epstein all died tragically too young. I can only imagine how this must have affected him emotionally.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and as Lennon put it, he actually lost his mother twice, the first time when she left him to be looked after by her sister Mimi, the second time when she died, after they had begun seeing more of each other again.

Part of the effect this seemed to have, which has been well documented, was that John had somewhat of a mean streak. 

8. This post has been removed.