RIP: Standells drummer and singer, Dick Dodd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

RIP: Standells drummer and singer, Dick Dodd

As you are well aware, the Standells gave us "Dirty Water" -- and Boston has been inextricably linked with that great garage rock song ever since, and possibly, forever.

Sad to see that an original band member has died:

"Dick Dodd, singer and drummer for garage rockers the Standells, died on Friday at the age of 68. The band was best known for its 1966 hit, "Dirty Water," which became an unofficial anthem for the city of Boston and its sports teams.

Dodd, who was born in Hermosa Beach, California in 1945, got his start in show business at the age of 9 as a Mouseketeer on The Mickey Mouse Club. In the early 1960s, he played in two pioneering surf rock bands, the Bel-Airs and Eddie and the Showmen, performing alongside acts like the Beach Boys and the Righteous Brothers. He also continued to appear on television shows and was a dancer in the 1963 film musical Bye Bye Birdie.

Dodd joined the Standells as drummer and vocalist in 1964. Two years later, the garage-rockers scored their biggest hit, "Dirty Water," which peaked at Number 11 on the Billboard Hot 100 on July 9th, 1966. The song was written by producer Ed Cobb, and despite its references to the Boston Strangler and local muggers, the refrain "Boston, you're my home" made it a favorite victory soundtrack at Red Sox, Bruins and Patriots games.

The band achieved more moderate success with songs including "Riot on Sunset Strip" (the theme song to the exploitation film of the same name), "Why Pick On Me?" and "Sometimes Good Guys Don’t Wear White." 

Dodd continued performing with the Standells into the last year of his life, and also worked as a limousine driver in his hometown of Buena Park. The Los Angeles Times reports that he announced earlier this year that he had stage four cancer and died at a hospital in Orange County, California."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/standells-drummer-and-singer-dick-dodd-dead-at-68-20131201#ixzz2mKtyaGjX

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: RIP: Standells drummer and singer, Dick Dodd

And if they hadn't mentioned Boston in this song would it have been forgotten a year after it was recorded?

I'll tell you a funny story.

Many years ago when I was in high school and I heard this song on radio a few times, I was thinking it was a old Rolling Stones tune that I had not got any airplay back in the early 60s. Just like with the Beatles there were many clones of the Stones ( the rhyme was unintentional). Later on when I bought a collection of songs by the Standells I didn't really associate them with the Stones anymore. I always thought Sam The Sham And The Pharoahs sounded much like the Stones too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And if they hadn't mentioned Boston in this song would it have been forgotten a year after it was recorded?

I'll tell you a funny story.

Many years ago when I was in high school and I heard this song on radio a few times, I was thinking it was a old Rolling Stones tune that I had not got any airplay back in the early 60s. Just like with the Beatles there were many clones of the Stones ( the rhyme was unintentional). Later on when I bought a collection of songs by the Standells I didn't really associate them with the Stones anymore. I always thought Sam The Sham And The Pharoahs sounded much like the Stones too.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see how it could have been written in the first place if it weren't for Boston -- you know?!  It doesn't just "mention" Boston ...  it's a little more than a mention, isn't it?  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

I remember seeing them do "I want to hold your hand" on the Munsters in 1964. Pretty lame.  Dodd was with them then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iFpomw5sDo