Rise of the Black Keys

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Rise of the Black Keys

Pretty insightful article about the Black Keys from RollingStone.com:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-rise-of-the-black-keys-20120215

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Rise of the Black Keys

Great band.

Again, it goes to show that bands who are nurtured and given time to 'pay their dues' that real talent will shine through and create some great things.

But this is rock n' roll, not overhyped tv talent show pap.  So, here's hoping that the Keys keep it together through all the fuss.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

They are very talented but they just do not do it for me..Ive tried to get into them but something about the sound I just cant get into.. For a two perons band I would take No Age any day over them. But I am in the extreme minority there

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I bought their recent CD - yawn.  I've since heard some stuff from earlier CDs that sound more interesting.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JM0N. Show JM0N's posts

They have gone mainstream with their sound. Their older material had more of a raw/organic sound to it. They are a good band, but they lost the edge that set them apart. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Lots of descriptors here...

"more original"

"better musicians"

"lost the edge"

"average bands"

"don't have the songs"

...with not much justification for a "very talented" band.

Have the boys from Akron jumped the rock n' roll shark already...?  I have my own opinions, but I would like to hear more from our astute critics about what I might be missing....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JM0N's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They have gone mainstream with their sound. Their older material had more of a raw/organic sound to it. They are a good band, but they lost the edge that set them apart. 

[/QUOTE]

I recommend the crystal ballroom DVD. 2009 concert, I think. They have the raw sound live.

Not that I entirely agree that the newer albums aren't good in other ways. If everything sounded just like The Big Come Up or Thickfreakness, it'd get boring.

[/QUOTE]

The thing that's interesting about the Keys is that all of their music is of a piece and compares well with itself from track to track or album to album.  There are some slight shifts, but they are generally subtle.

"Howlin For You" to "Money Maker" to "I'll Be Your Man" to "Strange Times"...they all fit together.

But even while they sound like others who came before them, they still always sound like themselves.  Not an easy task...and even harder over a long period of time.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lots of descriptors here...

"more original"

"better musicians"

"lost the edge"

"average bands"

"don't have the songs"

...with not much justification for a "very talented" band.

Have the boys from Akron jumped the rock n' roll shark already...?  I have my own opinions, but I would like to hear more from our astute critics about what I might be missing....

[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to jump on it and bash. People react and like what they like. I guess it was just a good time to see if anyone else felt the same as I did.

Other bands that I don't the infautation with are bands like the Drive By Truckers.  Seen em 2 or 3 times I guess now and I still don't think their songs are that good. Good live band, but the songs just don't resonate for me.

[/QUOTE]

No worries.  And as I've said about the Keys and others, this ain't rocket science; it's 'only' rock n' roll.

And I think that's kind of the point.  Every so often, the rock gods need to remind us to just have some fun and not take it so seriously.

The best thing about the Keys is I got to (re)discover one of their idols, Junior Kimbrough.  And for that I'm thankful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

There are defintiely imts when my music ears hear things different from others which is okay by me. But the Black Keys sort of remind me of the Lyres (Boston band from late 70's early 80s).. I have almost tried to frce myself on the the Black Keys because I hear so much good about them.. But as I mentioned ealrier I end up dying to move on to something else.