Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Farce

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Farce

If the criteria for induction into the RnR Hall of Fame is Innovation, Influence and Perpetuation of the art-form, why do they refuse to acknowledge the following:

NY Dolls - credited by members of the Clash, Smiths, Sex Pistols, Pretenders, Boomtown Rats, and so many others as being one of the foundations of what was to become Punk. And we will not even get into style - Nicki Sixx and everyone that followed the Crue basically ripped off Johnny Thunders look. Every band that came out of LA after 1982 basically had a Thunders lookalike. Two genre's of music attached to them. And let's not forget that they basically built what was to become the NYC underground music scene back in 71/72.

Alice Cooper Band - At the forefront of the American Hard Rock movement and basically created shock rock. No Alice, then no KISS, Marilyn Manson, etc. They wrote and recorded two of the most beloved teen anthems in RnR history; School's Out and Eighteen. The original AC Band was one of my biggest influences when I started playing music.

Deep Purple - Do I even need to explain this one. They along with Sabbath are credited for moving Hard Rock into its next phase - METAL. Smoke on the Water is the first song that teen guitarist wannabe's learn. At least in the 70's and 80's, that was the case. And probably still true to this day. It is the most recognizable riff in RnR. This band as much as any band before and after probably caused more teens to pick up a guitar and play. I think that is what you call influence.

Def Leppard - they were never a Hair Band no matter who tries to attach them to that scene. But they were a driving force in the 80's Hard Rock scene and recorded two essential albums - Pyromania and Hysteria (perhaps the most technically perfect RnR album ever). They are one of only a half dozen bands to release two straight albums that went diamond. They were the NWOBHM band that knocked New Wave and Post Punk off MTV. Yes, they probably influenced Bon Jovi, Warrant and some of the other pablum bands that followed, but the fact is that this scene dominated music for 10 full years - (83-93) and whether you liked it or not, influence is still influence.

I was shocked that they finally acknowledged the Stooges, but I have a feeling that Madonna had a lot to do with that. At last she did one thing worthy in music.

I once wrote Dave Marsh, RnR HoF commitee member and with serious influence in the process. He came back at me with great venom in his answers to these questions, saying that the average music fan is a schlub and has no clue. He stated that both Alice and Purple were boring and provided zero in the way of RnR music.

Any thoughts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Farce

I'm amazed that Marsh took time away from massaging Bruce Springsteen's nuts to even answer your question.

Also humorous to note punk bands ripping off the Dolls' look when Johannsen and Thunder were supposed to be Jagger/Richards.

Still and all, if it was up to me, they'd get in just for Trash, if nothing else.

"How you call your lover boy?"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I agree with you jesseyeric.  Frankly it didn't even dawn on me that Alice Cooper & Deep Purple weren't in the Hall but that is ridiculous.  I think BOC should be there too but I know they've got all the chances of a snowball in hell.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Farce:
    I amazed that Marsh took time away from massaging Bruce Springsteen's nuts to even answer your question. Also humorous to note punk bands ripping off the Dolls' look when Johannsen and Thunder were supposed to be Jagger/Richards. Still and all, if it was up to me, they'd get in just for Trash , if nothing else. "How you call your lover boy?"
    Posted by p-mike

P-Mike

Trash: we are of like mind. How f'n great is that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXd9OIYL9xM

But let's not forget Jet Boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y8-CBXfzhE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I agree with you jesseyeric.  Frankly it didn't even dawn on me that Alice Cooper & Deep Purple weren't in the Hall but that is ridiculous.  I think BOC should be there too but I know they've got all the chances of a snowball in hell.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Maybe one day on BOC - but lots of bands need to go in first. We can start with Rush and go from there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DPedroiski. Show DPedroiski's posts

I was shocked that they finally acknowledged the Stooges, but I have a feeling that Madonna had a lot to do with that. At last she did one thing worthy in music.

Awesome, I like the Stooges.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

And right on cue, Iggy says, "Okay -- now what are they going to do to kick us out?"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Anybody who has the audicity to blaspheme the mighty Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath , Alice Cooper and Iggy Pop has no right to be commenting on music.

I will see to it the Metal Gods rain down fire and brimstone on these blasphemers for all eternity.

I'll bet they hate Judas Priest, too.  I don't even want to talk about The Sisters of Mercy.

Filthy swine!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Eddie Trunk comes down on the Hall an awful lot! Go get them Lizard breath.

Check out

www.futurerocklegends.com

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolhandgannon. Show coolhandgannon's posts

Smoke on the Water may bar Deep Purple from earning any accolades in my book. I know, I know, it was the first song you learned to play, etc.

But god I hate that song.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Smoke on the Water may bar Deep Purple from earning any accolades in my book. I know, I know, it was the first song you learned to play, etc. But god I hate that song.
    Posted by coolhandgannon

You hate 'Smoke on the Water'?

Oh my God! What's happening to this world when people can commit blasphemy!

(All right, I'm going to tell you it's not my favorite Deep Purple track either...but "hate" ....man!, that's a strong word).

I hope you don't feel the same"hate" for Speed King, Demon's Eye, Burn, Black Night, Lazy, Knocking at your Backdoor, Perfect Strangers, Child In Time, You Fool No One, Stormbringer, Hush, Space Truckin', No,No,No, Fireball , etc, etc, etc, all the classic songs by this the "Godzilla" of all hard rock bands. They loved 'em in Europe , they loved 'em in Japan....but here in the pastuerized, homogenized world of American music they are reduced to being known for one song which indeed has been overplayed and perhaps even over-rated(slightly).... Blackmore, Paice, Lord, Glover, Gillan... an ensemble copied but never equaled in history.

Their place in rock history is sealed, long live the spirit of Deep Purple , the greatest hard rock band that ever was or will be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Smoke on the Water may bar Deep Purple from earning any accolades in my book. I know, I know, it was the first song you learned to play, etc. But god I hate that song.
    Posted by coolhandgannon

It is probably my least favorite Purple song as well, but that doesn't make it unimportant.

Purple should have been in years ago along with Alice.

It just goes to show that it should be call the RnR Hall of Shame.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Bumping ... any additions, revisions, updates .... or to re-activate the discussion?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

While we are on the subject, why is Dr. John not in? He influenced at least 2 generations of rock and roll musicians. Not to mention his own hits, Such a Night, Right place Wrong time etc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

And why no Rush either. They have been said to influence Metallica and the Smashing Pumpkins (as per Wikipedia) and rank quite high in overall album sales.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Don't worry - the Bay City Rollers will be up for nomination next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Don't worry - the Bay City Rollers will be up for nomination next year.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    Actually I kind of like them. Embarassed

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Farce : Actually I kind of like them.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

And they say that I am the sick one on this forum.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

I always thought the Bay City Rollers were a San Francisco band, for a few reasons. Only to find out they're Scottish. But nothing really surprises me when to comes to the RnR HoF...they lose more credibility every year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Farce : And they say that I am the sick one on this forum.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Definitely not the only one

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Has Rush even been on the ballot?  That IS a crime.  And the HoF is bound to lose credibility if the same people control the balloting.  Dr. John and J. Geils are nominated this year.

But f'in ABBA got in last year with the Stooges.  I wouldn't even show up if I had to go in with ABBA.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

I'm sure the average music fan would love Marsh's perspective of them.  I wonder what would happen if one were to publish said letter to Marsh along with Marsh's reply.