Rock groups and orchestra recordings: favorites / bests

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Rock groups and orchestra recordings: favorites / bests

Many bands and solo artists have combined forces and infused songs with classical elements by collaborating with a symphony orchestra.   Some have become all-time classics.   

There are also classical elements infused in some rock music when an entire symphony orchestra was not used, but the classical sound and style come across powerfully.

Since it was recently in the news (and a chorus from BU accompanied them), here's a classic favorite:

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"    --  Rolling Stones

With orchestra or orchestral in nature -- either way.  Albums or singles.  What's your take?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Rock groups and orchestra recordings: favorites / bests

When I think of a rock band using an orchestra,The Moody Blues album "A night at Red Rocks with the Colorado Symphonic Orchestra".Excellent album and the orchestra backing really made the Moody Blues music so much more rich and dramatic.

Live, released in 1993

Songs / Tracks Listing

1. Overture (2:58) 
    2. Late lament (1:35) 
    3. Tuesday afternoon (4:42) 
    4. For my lady (4:11) 
    5. Lean on me (4:39) 
    6. Lovely to see you (4:04) 
    7. I know you-re out there somewhere (5:22) 
    8. The voice (5:28) 
    9. Your wildest dreams (4:57) 
    10. Isn't life strange (6:44) 
    11. The other side of life (7:05) 
    12. I'm just a singer (with a rock and roll band) (6:55) 
    13. Nights in white satin (6:33) 
    14. Question (6:22) 
    15. Ride my see-saw (5:26)

Total Time: 76:41

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You just don't get any better than the Moody Blues when it comes to combining Rock and Classical.

However, Deep Purple ( those rascals who just can't get any respect from the R&R Hall Of Fame) and Emerson , Lake and Palmer certainly could be included in any argument or debate on the subject.

Deep Purple - Concerto For Group And Orchestra , written by Jon Lord with a strong classical background was more of an experiment and won't make on anyone's all time favorites list , but it is a good listen and very well writtne and played....just not exactly what we might call radio friendly , then , now or ever. But, then again, how much classical music do find on your radio dial?

E.L.P. - Works Vol. 1.: blends classical pieces with more radio friendly tunes such as C'est La Vie.....an extremely beautiful piece. The LP contains two other ELP favorites of mine, ' Closer To Believing' and 'Tank.'

note- E.L.P. also has many other songs from other LPs and live concert CDs such as 'Nutrocker' , a very upbeat song many Bruins fans may recognize as the song that TV38 used as the theme song for the Big, Bad. Bruins of the 69-72 era when Orr, Esposito , Bucyk and the hockey team which took Boston and the entire NHL by force. In my mind ( and I watched alot of hockey back before lockouts and expansion to non-hockey markets ruined this sport) the greatest hockey team that ever was...a powerhouse that was only stopped by a rival league stealing many of their better players and Bobby Orr's shattered knees....but I am drifting off topic here, sorry.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I like this song Elvis Costello did with the Brodsky Quartet from the album The Juliet Letters. Not an orchestra exactly, but classical mixed with pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uar-p6hgvk

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Procol Harum Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra

Rick Wakeman-Journey to the centre of the Earth

Doors - Touch me (Strings and Horns) 

TOUCH ME Fun Fact  ( from Wikipedia): 

At the end of the song, Morrison can be heard saying, "Stronger than dirt," which was the slogan of the Ajax household cleaning company, because the last four notes of "Touch Me" were the same as those in an Ajax commercial and as a mocking criticism of Krieger, John Densmore, and Ray Manzarek wanting to accept an offer from Buick to use "Light My Fire" in a commercial. The deal was aborted when Morrison opposed it. This vocal was omitted on the single version, which was a different mix.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Collective Soul - Home - recorded live with the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Does ELO's long version of Roll Over Beethoven count?

There are some really great strings in that one. And even the song itself has as it's subject exactly what we are discussing....the marriage of the world's two greatest styles of music.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

There are some really great strings in that one. And even the song itself has as it's subject exactly what we are discussing....the marriage of the world's two greatest styles of music.

ELO counts!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Many bands and solo artists have combined forces and infused songs with classical elements by collaborating with a symphony orchestra.   Some have become all-time classics.   

There are also classical elements infused in some rock music when an entire symphony orchestra was not used, but the classical sound and style come across powerfully.

Since it was recently in the news (and a chorus from BU accompanied them), here's a classic favorite:

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"    --  Rolling Stones

With orchestra or orchestral in nature -- either way.  Albums or singles.  What's your take?   

Let's be clear here - REAL strings, brass, percussion - NOT - synthesizer!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

BB King - The thrill is gone (One of my favorite all time songs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-jzgRYtp-s

Rolling Stones - Moonlight mile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5QwJDlImV0

Guns and Roses - November Rain:  

https://www.vevo.com/watch/guns-n-roses/november-rain/USIV20300654

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

BB King - The thrill is gone (One of my favorite all time songs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-jzgRYtp-s

Rolling Stones - Moonlight mile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5QwJDlImV0

Guns and Roses - November Rain:  

https://www.vevo.com/watch/guns-n-roses/november-rain/USIV20300654

Great call on The Thrill Is Gone. Love that song too and love B.B. King.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Why wouldn't it count?   

ELO's "Sweet Talkin' Woman"  intro and interludes, are certainly classical.   When you check youtube for an ELO song, you're bound to see that it has millions of hits.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Collective Soul - Home - recorded live with the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra

I've had this on my "list" since we discussed it a while back.    I need to prioritize expenses, but my Amazon order is bound to include this at some point.     Seems to be a classic example of the subject of the thread.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Love - "You Set the Scene"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdELzBV9pyo

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

I've had this on my "list" since we discussed it a while back.    I need to prioritize expenses, but my Amazon order is bound to include this at some point.     Seems to be a classic example of the subject of the thread.

[/QUOTE]

You should get the DVD because the visuals really add to it.  You can tell that the young people in the orchestra are having the time of their lives and the conductor is pretty cool too.

Also, you might be interested to know that my wife thinks that rhythm guitarist Dean Roland is one of the most gorgeous guys she has ever seen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

You should get the DVD because the visuals really add to it.  You can tell that the young people in the orchestra are having the time of their lives and the conductor is pretty cool too.

Also, you might be interested to know that my wife thinks that rhythm guitarist Dean Roland is one of the most gorgeous guys she has ever seen.

Thanks for the suggestion, and it's a good one.   You do a very good "sell" on this recording.  :)    As for the Roland brothers, they've both been blessed with good looks.  I've never been a sucker for blonds, but those blond locks (even if they are out of a bottle at this point) on Ed are his signature, albeit Dean is more handsome.    Glad your wife has a rocker she swoons over; I'm sure she's not alone.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregStillinMeffa. Show GregStillinMeffa's posts

ELP Works Volume one - all 4 sides

Yes ususally open with Strvinsky's Firebird Suit, but its recorded, so I don't think that counts.

Everything by Rick Wakeman, except No Earthly Connection

Of course, Jethro Tull - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCy8-o-mBdU

Kudo's to Zilla for Jon Lord's Concerto for group and orchestra

Metallica

Aerosmith

Lots of Zappa (conducting no less)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Got to add The Beatles, George Martin being mainly a classical producer/engineer helped introduce many classical instruments and arrangements to their catalog.

All You Need Is Love

Elenor Rigby

too many to list.

If you were to re-produce the Beatles music live from 65 to 70, you would need a small orchestra to best do so.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GregStillinMeffa's comment:

ELP Works Volume one - all 4 sides

Yes ususally open with Strvinsky's Firebird Suit, but its recorded, so I don't think that counts.

Everything by Rick Wakeman, except No Earthly Connection

Of course, Jethro Tull - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCy8-o-mBdU

Kudo's to Zilla for Jon Lord's Concerto for group and orchestra

Metallica

Aerosmith

Lots of Zappa (conducting no less)

Nice list; this is right up your alley.    

Welcome back, BTW.   There must be some gremlins at work if you got booted; makes no sense.   Glad to see your "signature" avatar again, too.   :)  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to newman09's comment:

Got to add The Beatles, George Martin being mainly a classical producer/engineer helped introduce many classical instruments and arrangements to their catalog.

All You Need Is Love

Elenor Rigby

too many to list.

If you were to re-produce the Beatles music live from 65 to 70, you would need a small orchestra to best do so.

Nice catch.   Since JE hasn't been around, this wasn't mentioned (he's ususally pretty fast with any Beatles-related info, as you know :)  ).   

Check this out (dark humor at the end ...):

"Over the years, the Beatles refined their use of strings, employing 40 classical musicians to create the swirling 24-bar sonic vortex heard on “A Day in the Life,” hiring a string section to accompany the band on the landmark June 25, 1967 worldwide satellite broadcast of “All You Need is Love,” and allowing producer Phil Spector to add an orchestral backing to McCartney’s piano ballad “The Long and Winding Road,” which appeared on the band’s 1970 swan song Let It Be.

Ironically, McCartney traveled full circle over the use of strings. Spector’s orchestral flourishes on Let It Be irked the ex-Beatle for three decades.

In 2003, he settled the score, supervising the release of "Let It Be . . . Naked", which features remixed versions of “The Long and Winding Road” and two other tracks stripped of Spector’s strings and brass. 

“Poor Phil Spector,” the Washington Times quipped in a review of the CD, “first the murder charge, now this.”

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't know if they ever put it on a CD, but I found videos on YouTube of a concert that The Scorpions recorded with some German orchestra that was excellent.

Also on YouTube was an excellent version of "I'll Stand By You" that Chrissy Hynde recorded with an orchestra that was very good.

Agree with the post on The Moody Blues.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm reaching a little bit here, but....

...while James Brown isn't a Rock group, but how about "It's A Man's World?"

Ditto great use of strings on one of my all time favorites by the Temptations, 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone.'

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I don't know if they ever put it on a CD, but I found videos on YouTube of a concert that The Scorpions recorded with some German orchestra that was excellent.

I've read about the album (as a more recent Scorpions fan myself), as it's "relatively" recent (relative in terms of the length of their entire career, that is), released in 2000.   

"Rock you like a Hurricane" might be considered one of the signature songs from the album.  It's the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra that accompanies them.    They must have made a live concert CD on a tour with the Berlin Philharmonic, based on your comment and what you saw on youtube.   I should look it up on youtube, too.   

ETA: I am listening to "Rock You ...." right now.   Brilliant with the orchestra.   This is right up my alley, since the collaboration of classical musicians with rock musicians, for me, is very dynamic.    

Just listened to two other tracks -- both very good, too (one gorgeous, really).   This sort of album seems to have a real "movie soundtrack" feel to it, so probably not for everyone.   But it certainly shows the range the Scorpions have, for those that like this unexpected route.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK_DOJa99oo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I've read about the album (as a more recent Scorpions fan myself), as it's "relatively" recent (relative in terms of the length of their entire career, that is), released in 2000.   

"Rock you like a Hurricane" might be considered one of the signature songs from the album.  It's the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra that accompanies them.    They must have made a live concert CD on a tour with the Berlin Philharmonic, based on your comment and what you saw on youtube.   I should look it up on youtube, too.   

ETA: I am listening to "Rock You ...." right now.   Brilliant with the orchestra.   This is right up my alley, since the collaboration of classical musicians with rock musicians, for me, is very dynamic.    

Just listened to two other tracks -- both very good, too (one gorgeous, really).   This sort of album seems to have a real "movie soundtrack" feel to it, so probably not for everyone.   But it certainly shows the range the Scorpions have, for those that like this unexpected route.   

I agree. It's fantastic. I love the version "Still Loving You" they did with the orchestra.