Rolling Stone names its Top 10 Guitarists of All Time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Rolling Stone names its Top 10 Guitarists of All Time

From Yahoo.com:

Legendary musician Jimi Hendrix was named the greatest guitar player in history on Wednesday by Rolling Stone magazine in a list compiled by a panel of music experts and top guitar players.

"Jimi Hendrix exploded our idea of what rock music could be: He manipulated the guitar, the whammy bar, the studio and the stage," said Grammy-winning guitarist Tom Morello in the magazine, citing Hendrix's "Purple Haze" and "The Star-Spangled Banner" as key tracks.

Hendrix is joined by the likes of Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page and Pete Townshend among the top 10, in a list laden with rock 'n' roll icons spanning decades.

The panel of experts recruited to vote for their favorite guitar players included musicians such as Lenny Kravitz, Eddie Van Halen (who was voted No. 8), Brian May and Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys, along with a selection of Rolling Stone's senior writers and editors.

The experts also weighed in on their favorites, with Pearl Jam's Mike McCready calling Eddie Van Halen "a master of riffs" and Joe Perry praising Jimmy Page's "vision of how to transcend the stereotypes of what the guitar can do."

The full list will be featured in a special issue with four special covers of Van Halen, Clapton, Hendrix and Page, and will be on newsstands and online at www.rollingstone.com on Friday.
    Rolling Stone's top 10 greatest guitarists follow:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Jimmy Page

4. Keith Richards

5. Jeff Beck

6. B.B. King

7. Chuck Berry

8. Eddie Van Halen

9. Duane Allman

10. Pete Townshend

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Rolling Stone names its Top 10 Guitarists of All Time

Typical Rolling Stones list. I have to agree with Slim for the most part, although I would put Jeff Beck on any list at any time. I might also consider Satriano and Malmsteen as they can do just about anything. If Hendrix had not died, I think he would have done some amazing things.

In the end, I would only accept Beck and Hendrix from that list.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In terms of mainstream rock n' roll, I've seen worse such lists.  Objectively, these top names are represented:

Hendrix
    Clapton
    Page
    Townsend
    Beck

This is what I would call the Big 5  /> the aggregation of most mainstream rock fan opinion, i.e. people who know rock n' roll history (at least as much as the average rock journo hack).

Richards, Berry and Eddie are right up there.  King is blues, not rock n' roll.  And I love Duane Allman dearly, but his net volume of work is too small by comparison for anyone not named Robert Johnson.

Zappa is top 10-worthy, IMO.*

* The issue I find with guitarists like Satriani, Malmsteen, Vai, Cipollini, et al. (and even maybe Zappa) is that their styles, methods, and outputs border on the avant garde of rock n' roll and are difficult to compare beyond that context.  I would be inclined to say the same about, say Holdsworth, Robert Fripp, Paul Butterfield or some other country/blues/r&b artists who have only dabbled in the mainstream but still influenced it.

Lastly, I would note Gibson Co.'s list:

1. Hendrix
    2. Page
    3. Richards
    4. Clapton
    5. Berry
    6. Beck
    7. Van Halen
    8. Atkins
    9. Robt. Johnson
    10. Townsend

Sequence aside, this might be the best, most reflective list I've come across.  Every stage and incarnation of rock n' roll can be tied to one or more of these players.

For further debate, what are YOUR criteria for selection...??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Id put Johnny Marr and Mark Knopfler in any top ten list myself

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm very partial to Robin Trower , who always seems to be forgotten.

For my money, Carlos Santana and , of course, Ritchie Blackmore should be top 5. Oh, and don't forget Michael Schenker...he's great....they always leave out the Heavy Metal guys....Tony Iommi, anybody?...just the only guitarist in the greatest Heavy Metal band of all time.

Joe Satriani gets no love , either.

I'll be in the minority on this (perhaps) , but I am a big fan of Aldo Nova. He just doesn't have a large enough catalogue to draw from in order to get respect.

No disrespect for B.B. King , but he doesn't belong on such a list. Great Blues man...guitarist...no.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Rolling Stone names its Top 10 Guitarists of All Time:
    [QUOTE]For further debate, what are YOUR criteria for selection...??
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Yes, it would be very helpful if the criteria were specified.  There are some guitarists whose technical mastery of the instrument is what sets them apart.  There are others whose imagination and creativity are what makes them great.  Eddie Van Halen has a mastery of the instrument but in my opinion is very limited in what he can actually create.  I find his solos redundant.  Jimmy Page on the other hand could be a bit hacky with the actual playing, but has had few peers with his ability to imagine and create.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

If I had to make a list of pure guitarists from the RnR genre:

Jeff Beck
    Joe Satriani
    Jimi Hendrix
    George Lynch
    Yngwie Malmsteen
    Frank Hannon
    Reb Beach & E. Van Halen (t)
    Warren DiMartini & Steve Vai (t)
    Eric Clapton
    Rithcie Blackmore & Jimmy Page (t)

Non RnR genre

Al Demeola
    Chet Atkins
    Django Reinhardt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

How can B.B. King and Chuck Berry make the list but not T-Bone Walker? They both based their styles on his. We could go on and on. Also forgotten, (as usual), are the early greats like Scotty Moore and James Burton who were supporting players who played key roles in the rise of rock music's popularity. And don't forget Carl Perkins.

The usual suspects are always listed and they are most often the flashiest and the noisiest. I'm not putting them down, but subtlety often seems to take a back seat to flash.

Once again, I have to restrain myself from spouting off about my hang-up on genres of music. To my ears, it's all pop music. The dividing lines are very fuzzy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

A yahoo writer gives his opinion about who's ranked too high or low on the Top 10 list:

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/rolling-stone-greatest-guitarists-list-too-high-too-181042395.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]If I had to make a list of pure guitarists from the RnR genre: Jeff Beck Joe Satriani Jimi Hendrix George Lynch Yngwie Malmsteen Frank Hannon Reb Beach & E. Van Halen (t) Warren DiMartini & Steve Vai (t) Eric Clapton Rithcie Blackmore & Jimmy Page (t) Non RnR genre Al Demeola Chet Atkins Django Reinhardt
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

A much better list than the one in the O.P.

Still....I 'd like to see Roin Trower and Carlos Santana in there, somewhere.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I just went through the entire Top 100 Guitarists list.  There are a lot of good picks there.  Pleasantly surprised to see Rory Gallagher make it at #57.

Disappointed not to see Buck Dharma, Robin Trower or Tommy Bolin.  Seems to me on another thread it was mentioned that Dharma and Bolin finished very high in somebody else's poll of the top American guitarists. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Keith Richards? Nope, I'd put Lindsey Buckingham on the list before him!

But that's just my opinion and everyone know's opinions are like....

....everyone's got one!

Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Danny Kirwan, from an early Fleetwood Mac line-up

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I agree with replacing Richards with Buckingham, who is a very underrated guitarist.

I'd definitely drop Townsend from the top 10. He was more of a rhythm guitarist than a lead guitarist. I'd put Mark Knopfler in his spot and possibly higher.

I'd drop Hendrix to third behind Clapton and Page tied for No. 1. Hendrix was great, but Clapton and Page IMO had more verstatility, playing with a lot more people.

Others that were mentioned like Blackmore and Satriani and Robin Trower would be in the next group. I would put Carlos Santana in the top 10, dropping Eddie Van Halen or Duane Allman to 11th.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Lindsey Buckingham suffers from the fact that when he was in Fleetwood Mac they were not thought of as a "guitar band." They were more of a mainstream , top 40 band with the two girls being the major focus or "frontwomen" of what was a very good group , musically.

Fleetwood Mac has employed many of Rock's better guitar players. Besides Buckingham, Peter Green , Danny Kirwin and Bob Welch were darn good guitarists.

Peter Green was terrific, he gets lots of critical acclaim. When you listen to Fleetwood Mac hits of the 70's , focus on Buckingham's guitar work. There is some really good stuff. I like the guitar work on "You Make Loving Fun."

How people can overlook Robin Trower is largely because his music was not prominent on manistream rock channels. But he's easily one of the best ever.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I agree with Zilla that Carlos belongs on that list. I'd also try to find room for Brian Setzer and Eddie Cochran. Beck I have always thought of as more of a jazz cat, and I've always associated Clapton and Duane Allman more with the blues. Another great rock guitarist who doesn't gte mentioned much is Steve Gaines.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]How can B.B. King and Chuck Berry make the list but not T-Bone Walker? They both based their styles on his. We could go on and on. Also forgotten, (as usual), are the early greats like Scotty Moore and James Burton who were supporting players who played key roles in the rise of rock music's popularity. And don't forget Carl Perkins. The usual suspects are always listed and they are most often the flashiest and the noisiest. I'm not putting them down, but subtlety often seems to take a back seat to flash. Once again, I have to restrain myself from spouting off about my hang-up on genres of music. To my ears, it's all pop music. The dividing lines are very fuzzy.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]Chuck got some of his style from listening to Bill Monroe too. If you listen closely you can hear Big Mon's work note for note in some of Chuck's solos.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Almost forgot Bo Didley.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Big Bad Bo Fo Sho!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rolling Stone names its Top 10 Guitarists of All Time : Chuck got some of his style from listening to Bill Monroe too. If you listen closely you can hear Big Mon's work note for note in some of Chuck's solos.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

No doubt about it. Chuck's music fused elements of the blues and country. That's why I never like to draw any lines between genres of music. There are more similarities than differences.