Shell out! Your most extravagant concert ticket and music purchases

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Shell out! Your most extravagant concert ticket and music purchases

In the summer of 2009 Paul McCartney kicked off his North American tour here in Halifax.  General admission tickets were about $100, 'VIP seating' was about $300.  A buddy of mine convinced me that the VIP tickets were the only way to go, because of the creature comforts they would afford, like being able to sit down on something other than a lawn chair, and most importantly the washroom access.  So I bit the bullet and forked over $600 for tickets for my wife and myself.

On the night of the show I was sort of happy we had gone the VIP route because it was pretty comfortable.  However, I did take note of the irony that a lot of the people who paid $100 for their tickets were a whole lot closer to the stage than we were.

It was a great show and I've never regretted the $600 expenditure, but I still marvel at spending that much for a pair of tickets.

Now Prince is coming to town and I bought my wife a ticket as a Christmas present.  She's in the expensive section, and that set us back $163.  Once again, a pretty good chunk of change. 

Also I see that The Who are on the verge of releasing a deluxe version of Quadrophenia, with remastered CD's, unreleased demos, a DVD, a hardcover book, photos and memorabilia.  It's listed on Amazon.com at $144, but Amazon.ca has it at a modest $118.  Now that might make a nice little Christmas gift for somebody, too.  Namely me.

In case you're wondering, my wife and I are strictly middle middle class when it comes to income.  So layouts like this are not taken lightly at all.

What about you guys?  What's the biggest chunk of dough one of your fave artists has been able to separate you from?  And when all was said and done, were you satisfied that it was money well spent?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Shell out! Your most extravagant concert ticket and music purchases

Believe it or not, the Broadway production of "Rain", A Tribute to the Beatles was my biggest cash outlay for a show. I will admit that I do not go to big concerts anymore. I did attend the Big 4 of Thrash at Yankee Stadium this year, but that was a freebie.

I do remember scalping tickets for the Who at MSG during the Quadrophenia Tour and shelling out $75. This was 1974 (I believe) & that was serious cash back then, but well worth it.

Not counting albums and CD's, my biggest outlay of cash, considering the times (70's) was for my GAS amp and pre-amp and KEF speakers. This was my first venture into the next tier of hi-fi equipment - top of the line kind of thing. Turned out to be a great investment as the KEF's sound as good now as they did 30 + years ago and the amp & pre-amp are still cranking with no problem. In fact, when checking online - my Thoebe and Son of Ampzilla have an amazing resale value considering they are also over 30 + years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

re: tickets...200 for 2 radiohead tickets on ebay, 10th row-ish in front of jonny. life-changing. setlist was UNREAL, 2 encores, the whole deal.  also went the night before, but no cost as i won them for beating out some other guy in a radiohead trivia contest on WBRU.  ha!

re: other music purchases, i bought my drummer's father's 1978 marshall JCM 800.  tube amp, perfect condition, $800.  sings like a bird.

before that, it was my fender telecaster, i got a good deal on it for around $500...american made, i love everything about it.  even though i've been yearning to switch the bridge pickup from a single coil to a humbucker

fender + vintage marshall = amazing

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

sunburst, isn't she pretty?

slim, if you're serious, go try playing one at a guitar center or something...and you won't need to be convinced by me anymore.

just make sure you check that it's american made vs. mexican made.  american is more expensive, but there are reasons for that.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

$350 for a front row seat to see the Grateful Dead at MSG in 1991. Still one of the best shows I have ever seen. I would have paid a lot more given the encore of Morning Dew, that just went on forever. Like Smith's Greenwood experience, to watch Garcia up close was surreal, and being a huge Dead fan, this was the Promise Land.

I had seen many Dead shows up till that point and felt just this once I would shell out some cash to see them up close and personal. It turned out to be my last Dead show ever, and given Garcia's untimely death a few years later, I'm so glad I did.

$800 for a Taylor 210ce

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The only music purchases that I have made that were overly extravagant have been $$$s spent for Japanese import CDs. Titles I could not find domestically. I would never pay lots of money for a live concert, even if the Beatles had reformed before John and George died.

First of all, I do not like crowds. Second , you never know if the group will have an "off" night. Third , I don't believe anyone is worth paying $100s of dollars to "see", when you can "hear" them on your stereo for a fraction of the cost of the live experience...and hear them over and over again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i think depending on the exact model it will say it on the back of the neck on the bolt plate.  the folks at GC aren't always the best to help you, but for that they can definitely figure it out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

$300 for two tickets to see Prince at Avalon.  (jkjband paid so it was no hardship to me...) Innocent

Great show, I still have the stub.  I carry it in my wallet so I can think back and remember when I was cool (or at least thought I was cool.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Dont remember what the most I ever paid for a show was.. I know I bought tickets off a scalper to a show I just had to get to in the mid 80's. It was The Smiths with Billy Bragg opening at the Opera House in boston. Don't remember how much I paid but knowing I was always poor then I am guessing it was about 50.. I don't think I ever paid 100.00 for a ticket.. Can't remember a scneario on why I would.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's been really easy for me to justify dropping $600 on McCartney.  It was the closest I will ever get to seeing the greatest band in the history of music.  My first, last, only shot at it.  And the man delivered.

Up till then I had spent maybe $300-350 on all my Beatles recordings.  In return for countless of hours of extreme pleasure.

It all seems fair.

13. This post has been removed.