Sir Michael Philip Jagger turns 70

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sir Michael Philip Jagger turns 70

If it's a drag getting old, you'd never know it to watch Mick Jagger, who is celebrating his 70th birthday today, July 26th.  

Hey, Happy Birthday, Mick!   ****      You could do a lot worse at 70, eh?

CNN:

"The Rolling Stones are celebrating their 50th anniversary as a band with new music and an extensive tour. Jagger can still move like, well, Jagger, his sinewy dancing and endless energy showing little sign of flagging despite his grandfatherly age. (The man has two children in their 40s, for Pete's sake!) He's made classic records, kept the gossip columns busy and always maintained an astute eye on the spotlight.

Besides, Jagger is only the latest of the 1960s musical heroes -- the backbeat of every classic rock station and baby-boomer record collection -- to cross the three-score-and-ten age threshold.

Paul McCartney turned 70 last year. So did Brian Wilson. Bob Dylan hit 70 two years ago. Grace Slick, Paul Simon, Jagger's bandmate Charlie Watts -- they're all in their seventies.

So go ahead and sneer at them like the oldsters of their own youth did. Mick and his ageless friends are having the last laugh."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Sir Michael Philip Jagger turns 70

Oh Christ!!!

This means I am getting older too!

One wonders what Mick could do if he didn't do the drugs and if he gave his liver a break and never drank alcohol.

Still, at least he made it to 70! I would have bet against it at one time.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Never was a big Jagger fan but he has stayed in amazingly good shape. Love the Stones as a band, but Jagger annoys me a bit.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

One of the most revered writers/performers ever of Rock and Roll.He's 70 years young and can still hold an audience in the palm of his hand with his seemingly endless supply of energy.

Great song and rare photos of Mick from his younger days up to the present:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRdxHHFKvQ

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Oh Christ!!!

This means I am getting older too!

One wonders what Mick colud do if he didn't do the drugs and if he gave his liver a break and never drank alcohol.

Still, at least he made it to 70! I would have bet against it at one time.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

Zilla, we are all getting older, and hopefully wiser.    What always amuses me is when the media calls a certain generation the "aging Boomers" -- as though they are the only ones who are aging.    !!    

Mick has kids who are in their forties, and while it's hard to imagine him a "father", he is probably dynamite as a parent, at least now.   I remember when either his son or daughter got married and we tried to imagine having him for a father in law.   hahahaha.   That would be a blast, fan or not.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Never was a big Jagger fan but he has stayed in amazingly good shape. Love the Stones as a band, but Jagger annoys me a bit.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

I've never been a huge fan either, but as years go by, the RS and Mick become more a focal point of fascination.    Jagger is very witty and charming in interviews, and unlike young, plastic current music celebrities,  Jagger is at peace with himself, don't you think?    He has been also called a parody of himself ... but he probably already knows that, and thinks it's funny.   Can't imagine he'd take anything even remotely considered a putdown seriously.  And he'll always be laughing half way to the bank anyway, so he hardly has any reason to get upset.   :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll - it has helped as many as it has hurt.

Still don;t like Mick.

Took myself a small vacation, kind of on investigation. Checking out a new sensation, finding much invigoration. Hand is on the buzzer and i'm walking through the door.

Get high - high - high  on a new thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

FANtastic video.   Absolute fun to watch, and a great song, too.   Brilliant.    Thanks.  

In that Bill Janovitz thread I made last week (Janovitz wrote a book about 50 Rolling Stones songs that was released this week, I think), he said that since so much attention was always paid to their performances, and their biggest hits, underneath all that, the Stones are seriously under-rated as song writers in the over-all sense.    I thought that was an interesting comment (which is why I remember him saying it.)  :)

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

One of the most revered writers/performers ever of Rock and Roll.He's 70 years young and can still hold an audience in the palm of his hand with his seemingly endless supply of energy.

Great song and rare photos of Mick from his younger days up to the present:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRdxHHFKvQ

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

- Thomas Jefferson

I've never been a huge fan either, but as years go by, the RS and Mick become more a focal point of fascination.    Jagger is very witty and charming in interviews, and unlike young, plastic current music celebrities,  Jagger is at peace with himself, don't you think?    He has been also called a parody of himself ... but he probably already knows that, and thinks it's funny.   Can't imagine he'd take anything even remotely considered a putdown seriously.  And he'll always be laughing half way to the bank anyway, so he hardly has any reason to get upset.   :)

[/QUOTE]

Just can't bring myself to like Jagger at all. Too much ego comes through. He doesn't need the love of fans since he already loves himself too much. My favorite Stone has always been Charlie Watts. He just sits behind the drums slightly bemused by it all. Love the great backbeat he provides.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll - it has helped as many as it has hurt.

Still don;t like Mick.

Took myself a small vacation, kind of on investigation. Checking out a new sensation, finding much invigoration. Hand is on the buzzer and i'm walking through the door.

Get high - high - high  on a new thing.

I find more and more, as I read more about them , that I don't really "like" many Rockers very much as human beings.

Oddly enough, some of the ones we thought were okay 40 years ago turn out to be rotten ( Ted Nugent). And....the more I read about Alice Cooper , the more I think he was one of the best fakeout artists ever. He turns out to be really so different from the stage Alice. Actually has morals.

As for Mick, well...I tend to agree with you jess. Although, it's really hard to be judgemental if you've never met a guy. But, I think alot of the traits that make him unlikeable to you and I also are the same traits that make him a great stage persona and possibly the most dynamic frontman ever.

You have to laugh at the antics of guys like Keith Moon. But, while his drinking and lifestyle were wild, look where it got him...and do you really think you would have wanted him as a friend or family member?...do you think he would ever be sober enough to be useful during a crisis?

I could go on and on, as I have read many Rock books, biographies, autobiographies and "history of" books. Many of them do not paint a flattering picture of most of your favorites ( John Lennon) and many of your non-favorites ( Jim Morrison).

I find as time goes on my impression of many of these rockers changes a bit. I have become a huge fan of John Lydon the man, who seems so unlike Johnny Rotten , the punk. As I read and view interviews , I find he is a much, much deeper and more intelligent person than he was ever thought to be. Ditto, Elvis Costello and Graham Parker , who were originally sold as the New Wave era's "angry young men" , while brilliant songwriters and performers, they also seem to be pretty smart guys and maybe not as angry as the rockers they are on stage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

What says rock'n'roll more robustly than a multi-millionaire, septuanarian, cricket-loving peer of the realm?

Wait, I know....Wau y los arrrgs.  Viven!

http://slovenly.bandcamp.com/track/its-great