Some great British humor.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Some great British humor.....

I enjoy a great Monty Python movie and the TV series, this is a great skit, very funny IMHO .....and yes. that is a guy in drag!   Enjoy!     Mrs Brown's sticky situation - Mrs Brown's Boys: Preview - BBC One Christmas 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjJc8xLYhak

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Some great British humor.....

Hilarious.

But BBC One "Christmas" 2013 ??? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hilarious.

But BBC One "Christmas" 2013 ??? 

[/QUOTE]

Here's the full half hour show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTqC0uEwVAQ

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I remember when the angry hordes were protesting in front of the theatres when 'Life Of Brian' first came out.

I'm wondering how those people feel about this type humor in a "Christmas"  show. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

It's laughable to me....I admit I have no believe in spiritual things....but to me "Brian" wasn't mocking religion....it was mocking dogmatic beliefs....be it an assumed deity, idiotic Roman soldiers harassing people because they were told to....etc.

Think for your effffing self!  And respect other's views as long as they keep it to themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ni559bHXDg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

...then again, who can argue with a theoretically celibate millionaire bloke in a fancy purple dress?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's laughable to me....I admit I have no believe in spiritual things....but to me "Brian" wasn't mocking religion....it was mocking dogmatic beliefs....be it an assumed deity, idiotic Roman soldiers harassing people because they were told to....etc.

Think for your effffing self!  And respect other's views as long as they keep it to themselves.

[/QUOTE]

How can I respect others views if they keep it to themselves? I need to hear their views in order to know what they are. I think we need to respect others right to free expression, but we don't need to respect their views. The Monty Python troupe expresses their views through mass media. They do not keep their views to themselves. Those who protest those views have every right to. Debate and dialogue are always a good thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How can I respect others views if they keep it to themselves? I need to hear their views in order to know what they are. I think we need to respect others right to free expression, but we don't need to respect their views. The Monty Python troupe expresses their views through mass media. They do not keep their views to themselves. Those who protest those views have every right to. Debate and dialogue are always a good thing.

[/QUOTE]

DD - exactly right, IMO.  I think you and I generally are on the same side, but we've had a few debates.  In them all, I think you were totally, comically wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself.....and I'm sure you return the favour.  ;-)

But it's simple, isn't it?  I'd be horrified if you thought I'd been a Bill-806, Softy, redsox67 ad nauseum (sorry!).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

DD - exactly right, IMO.  I think you and I generally are on the same side, but we've had a few debates.  In them all, I think you were totally, comically wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself.....and I'm sure you return the favour.  ;-)

But it's simple, isn't it?  I'd be horrified if you thought I'd been a Bill-806, Softy, redsox67 ad nauseum (sorry!).

[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but sometimes you make statements that appear as narrow minded from a left leaning point of view as those right wingers you mention. We all hold certain values, but none of our values are absolute. We may share certain values with those we seem to oppose, and disagree strongly with those who seem our allies. I think that open and honest dialogue is the only way to true understanding of each other. If my ideas clash with others, they may take it as a personal affront to their cherished beliefs. By engaging in debate, I hope to spur discussion that may make both parties re-examine their thinking. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'm in the minority, no doubt, but I can't understand most English accents, and therefore, don't either "get" or understand a bit of English humor.  I have to pay strict attention to understand the accent, much more so than any other accent.   My father had a very thick accent (not English) and many of my parents' friends were European, so it's not as though I didn't grow up hearing accents,  but the English accent confounds me, and in some cases, depending on the dialect or region the person is from, I cannot understand a word.  :)

BTW, I do love the irreverant, slapstick, whacky nature of British humor, but I need the 'visuals' (like watching those videos); audio alone, and I am lost.  :)  

It's not unlike having difficulty with an accent from a region of the US (such as the deep south) where you'd never know you even lived in the same country.  I *love* these distinctions, and would not want us all to sound the same, BTW --> "Vive la difference."

NOTE: both videos posted were hysterical (at least the parts I could understand ...). :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but sometimes you make statements that appear as narrow minded from a left leaning point of view as those right wingers you mention. We all hold certain values, but none of our values are absolute. We may share certain values with those we seem to oppose, and disagree strongly with those who seem our allies. I think that open and honest dialogue is the only way to true understanding of each other. If my ideas clash with others, they may take it as a personal affront to their cherished beliefs. By engaging in debate, I hope to spur discussion that may make both parties re-examine their thinking. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not offended David....you and I don't always agree, but I think we're both respectful. 

I don't think I am narrow minded at all (of course I'd say that!)....I think I'm very open to new ideas, art, music, everything, and I love engaging in debates...with you, for example. My comment re beliefs I stand by and I don't think I'm wrong....of course we need to engage others to discuss issues, but my point was about those that push their beliefs on others.  I don't go around ringing doorbells to pester people about that there are obviously, IMO, no gods....why do god botherers have to harass me when I'm relaxing at home or playing with my daughters to push their beliefs at me?  F off....I think I've mentioned before what I do when such selfish see you next Tuesdays ring my doorbell:  I take off my top, pour a bit of JD on my head, pick up a baseball bat, open the door and scream at them in my best American accent and threaten violence.

Re the "right wingers" you mentioned, I don't despise them because of their politics or religion, I despise them because they are bigots, IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BTW, you understand that "I think you were totally, comically wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself" was a joke, right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BTW, you understand that "I think you were totally, comically wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself" was a joke, right?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I get it.

My point was about religious people protesting a Monty Python movie for what they perceive as ridicule of their deeply held beliefs. I understand why they would do that and I defend their right to do it. Proselytizing is entirely another issue, whether it is religious or political but these people can be easily and politely dismissed and sent on their way.

As for the "right wingers", I don't think they are bigots, rather I think their beliefs may make them appear to be. I disagree strongly with the conclusions that they come to which are shaped by their beliefs, but this is because we all think differently about mankind, human nature, and our place in the universe. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I get it.

My point was about religious people protesting a Monty Python movie for what they perceive as ridicule of their deeply held beliefs. I understand why they would do that and I defend their right to do it. Proselytizing is entirely another issue, whether it is religious or political but these people can be easily and politely dismissed and sent on their way.

As for the "right wingers", I don't think they are bigots, rather I think their beliefs may make them appear to be. I disagree strongly with the conclusions that they come to which are shaped by their beliefs, but this is because we all think differently about mankind, human nature, and our place in the universe. 

[/QUOTE]

I can just about see your point David re: the first paragraph.....bbbbut, why would one care? I like you, I respect you, I like chatting with you and have learned a fair few things from you and I thank you for that.  But I don't care if you like Husker Du, Hesse, John Waters or any and everything else I like.  Why should I?  I don't want, need or seek approval from anyone regarding my interests.

2nd paragraph?  I couldn't disagree more.  Black, white, gay, straight, fat, thin, any of the 3 Abrahamic religions (as if they aren't virtually identical!)....it all means nothing to me.  All I care about is peoples' behaviour.  

I refuse to accept homophobic bigotry, regardless of one's dogma.  Think for yourself! (not you, generally):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asjgoEUtcR4

It's like the weak apologies for the slave-owning rapist Thomas Jefferson.  "You have to consider the time he lived in."  Bollocks.  The slave-owning rapist's peer, Ben Franklin, was outspoken about the horror of slavery....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Yes, I get it.

[/QUOTE]

I can just about see your point David re: the first paragraph.....bbbbut, why would one care? I like you, I respect you, I like chatting with you and have learned a fair few things from you and I thank you for that.  But I don't care if you like Husker Du, Hesse, John Waters or any and everything else I like.  Why should I?  I don't want, need or seek approval from anyone regarding my interests.

2nd paragraph?  I couldn't disagree more.  Black, white, gay, straight, fat, thin, any of the 3 Abrahamic religions (as if they aren't virtually identical!)....it all means nothing to me.  All I care about is peoples' behaviour.  

I refuse to accept homophobic bigotry, regardless of one's dogma.  Think for yourself! (not you, generally):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asjgoEUtcR4

It's like the weak apologies for the slave-owning rapist Thomas Jefferson.  "You have to consider the time he lived in."  Bollocks.  The slave-owning rapist's peer, Ben Franklin, was outspoken about the horror of slavery....

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you about judging people by their behavior. But for some, that includes moral behavior, and everyone draws their moral lines differently. Some think certain sexual behavior is improper and damaging to others, regardless of consent. Some think consent is all that matters. If someone enjoys sado-masochistic sex and willingly engages in it we may say let them be or we may question if there is something wrong with them mentally and perhaps consent is not the ultimate moral measure.

We all think we have a moral code that is universal and obvious but I don't think it is that clear cut. I have my own personal moral code, but some of it derives from social norms, some derives from religious and moral thinkers, some derives from my own logic and reasoning. But I can't expect that everyone shares that.

I do think we share the same attitude that we should treat everyone equally, but to me, that does not preclude judging them morally. We can break bread with tax collectors, while at the same time seeing them as awful sinners, to humorously use a Biblical example. We can disapprove of a drug addict or alcoholic while not doing anything to harm them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I'm not entirely with you.  I don't believe in a theoretical "universal morality".  I have some friends I love and respect very much that have some behaviours I don't want to take part in.  But as long as everyone has free will, who am I to judge?  I think "morality" is all about consent.

I have to tell you I am surprised you wrote " that does not preclude judging them morally".  Do you really believe that?  Who are you, myself, Judge Judy, Poison Ivy, Dorothy Parker or anyone else to judge others?  x

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not entirely with you.  I don't believe in a theoretical "universal morality".  I have some friends I love and respect very much that have some behaviours I don't want to take part in.  But as long as everyone has free will, who am I to judge?  I think "morality" is all about consent.

I have to tell you I am surprised you wrote " that does not preclude judging them morally".  Do you really believe that?  Who are you, myself, Judge Judy, Poison Ivy, Dorothy Parker or anyone else to judge others?  x

But you do judge people that you think are bigots. Bigotry for you is wrong, which is a moral judgement. And I don't think that consent is always clear cut or is the only measure of morality.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with judging people's moral character. That is how I choose who to associate with and to support.

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But you do judge people that you think are bigots. Bigotry for you is wrong, which is a moral judgement. And I don't think that consent is always clear cut or is the only measure of morality.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with judging people's moral character. That is how I choose who to associate with and to support.

[/QUOTE]

Bigotry is always, 100%, wrong.  People may disagree on the detail, but how can a judgement based on uncontrollable issues be right?

Consent?  How can that not be clear-cut?  Either one freely chooses a behaviour, or they don't.

Finally:  "I see absolutely nothing wrong with judging people's moral character. That is how I choose who to associate with and to support."  I agree absolutely...and I daresay you, like myself, might see some others' behaviours we don't like and will opt out of the relationship.....and that's fine!  Would you demonise them, abuse them, assault them?  Of course not, nor would I.  Because I know I am a decent person and strongly assume you are also.  

Opt out?  That's great!, standards matter!  Demonise?  Rot in Hell you (not you!) judgemental, cruel b'stard.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

Bigotry is always, 100%, wrong.  People may disagree on the detail, but how can a judgement based on uncontrollable issues be right?

Consent?  How can that not be clear-cut?  Either one freely chooses a behaviour, or they don't.

Finally:  "I see absolutely nothing wrong with judging people's moral character. That is how I choose who to associate with and to support."  I agree absolutely...and I daresay you, like myself, might see some others' behaviours we don't like and will opt out of the relationship.....and that's fine!  Would you demonise them, abuse them, assault them?  Of course not, nor would I.  Because I know I am a decent person and strongly assume you are also.  

Opt out?  That's great!, standards matter!  Demonise?  Rot in Hell you (not you!) judgemental, cruel b'stard.

[/QUOTE]

I was just going to let this die, but I want to attempt to explain what I mean.

Saying bigotry is 100% wrong is correct. My problem is with what one sees as bigotry and if that bigotry goes beyond attitude into action. I may want to kill someone, but if I don't act on it I am not a murderer. Maybe it is a fine distinction, but it is one. A bigot may hold incorrect views toward certain people, but also not act on those views. Bad attitudes are not the equivalent of bad actions.

Consent is not always clear cut in actions we take part in every day. When driving, I may break the speed limit or drive recklessly, putting others in danger. Consent has nothing to do with my behavior. Consent is an agreement to engage in mutual behavior with one or more people. If a crowd of people panics and people start getting trampled there is no consent but there is harmful behavior. Consent does not cover all human behavior toward other humans. An airline pilot may get drunk the night before a morning of the flight but did he get the consent of all the passengers? Will his hangover endanger them? Freely choosing a behavior does not constitute consent. Hell, I would even bet that not all sex within a marriage is consensual. This is what I mean about it not being clear cut.

I hope this clarifies some of my positions. I am certainly not arguing for moral condemnation of things beyond a person's control, but I think moral behavior is a bit trickier than merely issues of consent.