Steve Earle / Tom Petty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Steve Earle / Tom Petty

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did you know he wrote Henley's Boys of Summer, Petty didn't know what to do with it, and then Henley took it?

[/QUOTE]

No, I didn't know that till just now.  Never noticed it all on the songwriting credits.  Cool.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

At the risk of possibly killing another thread here...Undecided

I've heard of Steve Earl but I'm sorry to say I haven't heard his music. That's something that can be fixed, though. Billy Austin looks like a good one. Another singer/songwriter from Texas that I really enjoy is Robert Earle Keene.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Somewhat uncanny, but I just heard a Tom Petty song as the closer on tonight's episode of "Parks and Recreation"  -- they played "Wallflowers" as the couple who are leaving the show drove off down the road.   Great closing track.    Taking the album out now, so I can listen to it. 

BTW, I don't know if there's a term for this, but during the episode the Rob Lowe character was seen mistakenly dancing to "One Headlight" -- the song by the Wallflowers.   Insider humor?   Whatever, it was cute, and I got it, so it wasn't tough, let alone obscure.  Fun, though.  :) 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

I've heard of Steve Earl but I'm sorry to say I haven't heard his music. That's something that can be fixed, though. Billy Austin looks like a good one. Another singer/songwriter from Texas that I really enjoy is Robert Earle Keene.

It's actually a little shocking to me that people haven't even heard of Earle.  I'd suggest starting with the 'first side' of Copperhead Road, probably his most instantly accessible music.  From there I would try some stuff off The Hard Way, including Billy Austin.  After that I think you'll be hooked.  Here's his listing on AllMusic.com, which has an excellent biography.  Also note the high ratings each album gets.

Also on Copperhead Road - the 'second side' of the album is much slower than the first.  The last song on the album, 'Nothing But a Child', is an amazing little ballad about the birth of Christ.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/steve-earle-mn0000034249

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

At times I've been a big fan of Steve Earle, but he's come to have some difficulty keeping the petty partisan politics out of it and that can wear thin quickly, or my name isn't Stephen Stills. I guess -- like a lot of guys -- there are gems to be found, but you're going to have to wade through some dreck to find them with ol' Steve.

That said, Doghouse Roses is highly recommended.

To me Tom Petty is in an entirely different strata. I mean . . .   this guy was in The Postman, for cryin' out loud!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I found Steve Earle incidentally through the 'alt-country-folk' bands of the 90s - Uncle Tupelo, Jayhawks, Son Volt, Wilco - who all held him in some esteem as a kindred spirit, albeit a prickly, willful one at times.  

"Guitar Town" even then sounded brash and a little sinister compared to most country-rock, but some of his folk-oriented stuff seemed more sincere, if more downbeat.  Bruce's "The Ghost of Tom Joad" and Uncle Tupelo's "Anodyne" (which I've mentioned here recently) are some notable comparisons.

That said, I think he works best with a band behind him and when he dips into the americana pool a bit rather than going straight-up country.  I like his work on Treme, like 'After Mardi Gras'.

His political attitudes never really bothered me, because I think his concerns are genuinely his own, and he tends to walk it like he talks it...even when he rambles. It's counter-intuitive and kind of silly to take artists' political views too personally, IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The last time I saw Earle he joked with the audience about his 'pinko' views and how lucky he was to have a job that allowed him to express them. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He has another joke I think he breaks out regularly as he takes his Bouzouki off the stand.  He says a guy that looks like he does can't tell the TSA folks at the airport the real name of the instrument when they ask about it.

[/QUOTE]

LOL yes he told that one too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

So is the answer to the question ultimately: Petty blows everyone out of the water.  ??

Who would have been the right artist(s) to match him with?   If someone is on the top rung, then is s/he untouchable with regard to comparisons?   Out of reach entirely?  

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to antibody's comment:

It's actually a little shocking to me that people haven't even heard of Earle.  I'd suggest starting with the 'first side' of Copperhead Road, probably his most instantly accessible music.  From there I would try some stuff off The Hard Way, including Billy Austin.  After that I think you'll be hooked.  Here's his listing on AllMusic.com, which has an excellent biography.  Also note the high ratings each album gets.

Also on Copperhead Road - the 'second side' of the album is much slower than the first.  The last song on the album, 'Nothing But a Child', is an amazing little ballad about the birth of Christ.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/steve-earle-mn0000034249

[/QUOTE]

I just had a chance (been a little busy) to listen to a couple of songs. Copperhead Road is one I've heard before though I'm not sure when or where. Also listened to Guitar Town and Billy Austin. Good stuff. Of course I've also heard Six Days on the Road before. Thanks for the link. I'll listen to more as the day goes on.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

Here's a good choice or two:

Bruce Springsteen

Bob Seger

Even Mellencamp might fit.

[/QUOTE]

Believe me, I thought of Springsteen first, but that seemed too easy, if you know what I mean.   They both have the status and the stature (real rock stars), the depth -- it's as though they have too much in common for a discussion.    

I thought of Mellencamp, too, but after the fact.    Anyhow, makes sense to me.  I'm pretty sure Hfx is a fan, too, so that would have given his opinion the edge again.  

All in all:

I took two rockers that have relatively little in commonn ... and it turned into a decent thread.   So go figure.   :D

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Here are the lyrics to Earle's 'Nothing But a Child', which show what moving poetry he is capable of.  This song should be one of those songs that gets played at Christmas, but I doubt many people are aware of it.

Once upon a time in a far off land
    Wise men saw a sign and set out across the sand
    Songs of praise to sing, they traveled day and night
    Precious gifts to bring, guided by the light

They chased a brand new star, ever towards the west
    Across the mountains far, but when they came to rest
    They scarce believed their eyes, they'd come so many miles
    And this miracle they prized, was nothing but a child

Nothing but a child could wash those tears away
    Or guide a weary world into the light of day
    And nothing but a child could help erase those miles
    So once again we all can be children for a while

Now all around the world, in every little town
    Every day is heard a precious little sound
    And every mother kind and every father proud
    Looks down in awe to find another chance allowed

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

Ironically, each Earle and Petty have recorded that in the studio. Here's Petty's version when he was doing the Mudcrutch thing back in 2008 (great album).

Pretty standard arrangement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGquQrwQwEA

[/QUOTE]

Just for kicks, here is Kiki Dee's cover of Six Days on the Road Tongue Out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5nlJF5XgTI

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here are the lyrics to Earle's 'Nothing But a Child', which show what moving poetry he is capable of.  This song should be one of those songs that gets played at Christmas, but I doubt many people are aware of it.

Once upon a time in a far off land
    Wise men saw a sign and set out across the sand
    Songs of praise to sing, they traveled day and night
    Precious gifts to bring, guided by the light

They chased a brand new star, ever towards the west
    Across the mountains far, but when they came to rest
    They scarce believed their eyes, they'd come so many miles
    And this miracle they prized, was nothing but a child

Now all around the world, in every little town
    Every day is heard a precious little sound
    And every mother kind and every father proud
    Looks down in awe to find another chance allowed

[/QUOTE]

Nice!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Jackson Browne, especially with his Running On Empty song, would be my choice as a better comparison to Tom Petty ... not that he is on the same level, he lacks the vibrancy that Tom Petty has.

And for your info, Denver will be the 2014 Super Bowl champs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jackson Browne, especially with his Running On Empty song, would be my choice as a better comparison to Tom Petty ... not that he is on the same level, he lacks the vibrancy that Tom Petty has.

And for your info, Denver will be the 2014 Super Bowl champs.

[/QUOTE]

I should have made a list of all the singers I crossed off before I chose the two musicians for this thread, b/c I thought of Jackson Browne, but he's a balladeer to me, and he certainly has all of the same characteristics on the surface, but he's just not *there* for me.  Certainly rock star status, though (more than the Pope ... hahahah)

Someone else should match up two rockers in another thread.  Find out how easy it is.  I stuck my neck out, now it's someone else's turn.   :D

(Not making any pronoucements re: the Super Bowl, but I would prefer to go with the so-called under-dogs; therefore,  it's Seattle for me)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Steve Earle and Tom Petty:

Same sentence?

Same paragraph?

Same page?

Same chapter?

Same book?  

Any thoughts on the two?    Tom Petty would not be likely to open for Steve Earle, but that isn't really relevant to the question re: the two.   Or is it?   

ALSO:

Is there a famous cover version of "Someday" ?  

[/QUOTE]

I did some research and I found the closest thing to a "famous" cover of Someday. It's from Shawn Colvin's album 'Cover Girl' and features Mary Chapin Carpenter on vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI3pO06kToA