Thank you, thank you, thank you.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

At one time , not many months ago , I used to post here and wait about 3 or 4 days for someone else to post. New threads got maybe 1 response a day. This chat room was a virtual morgue.

I started "hinting" during some of my ranting and ravings of wisdom on the Red Sox  front burner board, easily the most visited board on this site.

I am very pleased that many people checked the music board out and return here often. I know all of your usernames, and sadly do not have time to list all of you. You know who you are. I want to thank all of you, new and old ( I mean "old" in terms of established regulars , not age!!!...but if it applies, so be it). This is a fun place to discuss music and even though it is not restricted to Rock, most of us seem to call that style our favorite.

jesseyeric gets a lions share of credit for his experience in music and his knowledge of the great bands and artists of what I like to call "the golden age of Rock'n Roll" ( thank you Ian Hunter for allowing me to steal your title..even though , you'll never know I did, anyway). But , by that I don't mean to slight the contributions from everyone who gives their opinions, and I think it's so fantastic that we all seem to be very polite and, for the most part, we don't lower ourselves to the level of name calling when we don't agree (something that is inevitable).

Thanks again, and I hope we continue to get some new viewpoints from others. I encourage you to start a thread whenever you feel you have a pretty neat idea...I promise ,no one will think it's stupid. If there is a 'stupid' idea out there, I will most likely think of it first anyway, as I am borderline psychotic and have , as my girlfriend says "a warped sense of humor." Funny , I really don't see it that way...in my way of thinking everything that enters my brain is completely "normal." I'm O.K. , it's the rest of the world that's a mess.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thank you, Zilla. If memory serves, we were debating the Doors on a Sox thread -- how that came up I have no idea -- and you mentioned the music board. I've been a regular since.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

A lot more pleasant than the baseball board. No trolls or thread bumpers.

No talk of people living in their mom's basement, or working at Burger King.

Haven't heard anyone call anyone else a moron or an idiot, no matter what music they like.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Z, I know we've had our differences on the Sox board but they've always been respectful (I hope) even if we vent our views forcefully. That's why I like this board because it give us all a chance to see others in a different light in other arenas and find other ways to relate and things we agree on (or disagree).

That's why I like it that I have a lot of interests. I usually can find common ground or interests in which I can relate to others. One of my closest friends at work is on the other side of the political spectrum from me -- although surprisingly enough we've found a lot to agree on -- but we have great conversations on old movies and history so that when we do discuss politics and have opposing views, they're always excellent reasoned conversations.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I was in fact going to name everyone but as I was gazing through the word association post, I realized how large our little community has grown here - sweet!Great thread by the way. 

Matty, Software; David; Roy; Lloyd; Yoshimi; T-Cal; Numba; Cosmo; Yoga; Hfxsoxnut; cavs; Kathy; Yoga; AV; MikeN; and so many more. I guarantee that as soon as I hit "Add post", another 10 names will squeeze into my little soft brain. The best part of all this is I get to watch my Yanks in the playoffs Tongue out (Sorry - couldn't help myself, afterall, I am a troll.)

So I will give one big shout out to that ugly reptilian dinosaur who really lit a fire on this board so all could come and play.

I am Rocky to his Bullwinkle; Abbott to his Costello; Laurel to his Hardy; Dean Martin to his Jerry Lewis; McMahon to his Carson; and Keith to his Mick.

And everyone on the East Coast - stay dry today. J-E-T-S. Jets, Jets, Jets

I wonder if there is a wanted poster in Boston with my name on it? Hopefully Yoshimi won't give me up as she is the only one to know what I really look like.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Thank you, thank you, thank you.:
    [QUOTE]Z, I know we've had our differences on the Sox board but they've always been respectful (I hope) even if we vent our views forcefully. That's why I like this board because it give us all a chance to see others in a different light in other arenas and find other ways to relate and things we agree on (or disagree). That's why I like it that I have a lot of interests. I usually can find common ground or interests in which I can relate to others. One of my closest friends at work is on the other side of the political spectrum from me -- although surprisingly enough we've found a lot to agree on -- but we have great conversations on old movies and history so that when we do discuss politics and have opposing views, they're always excellent reasoned conversations.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Please roy, continue to stay true to your beliefs on the Red Sox. I enjoy a good argument and have occasionally admitted that my opinion was not entirely the only one and that I could be swayed by a good counter-point.

Here's the thing about sports that I always find funny, many sports fans can't laugh or criticize their team...like it's some kind of religion and God (or the GM) will smite you down if you should raise your voice in opposition to things you , as a fan, don't like.

I don't want to dwell on this topic or hijack my own thread from it's original intent, but I thought you, roy, ought to hear this. The Red Sox front burner board has two main groups of people that I like to have a little fun with...and it's harmless, really. I have some fun with the trolls from other teams ( many of our Yankee fans are good guys, and are actually much better behaved than many of the Sox fans). The other group I like to have some harmless fun with is the "Red Sox are saints, Yankees sinners" also known as the "Theo is sent here from God and can do no wrong" crowd.

I caught part of a show on PBS about major league baseball and saw the aprt about the homerun race /farce between Sosa and McGwire ( two steroid users). There was a segment of an interview with Pedro Martinez ( My favorite RedSox ever) where he says he got caught up in the excitement of the HR chase...he then stated that "Sometimes innoncence can be beautiful." referring  to the fact that once we were aware that this was all a big farce , we feel cheated and our excitement diminishes. I think as a kid , I was concerned only with the game and what happens on the field. Today we have so many pre-game and post-game shows, sports talk shows and the internet spoiling what we used to enjoy...just watching the game. The talk creates bad feelings and second guessing and leads to arguments which too many people take too seriously or personally.

Again, sorry for the lengthy off topic sermon, but I want you , roy, to know I love the Red Sox and would not ever change teams , but i get a little disgusted with sports and the fact that so many people treat it like a religion and are afraid to speak out against their team. As fans we should let our displeasure be known, just like we do as voters. We criticize in hopes of making our voice heard when we are unhappy. Is a baseball team a democracy? No. But still we should not be as sheep and let the team believe that they can charge high prices, offer an inferior product and get away with it without knowing we have come to expect better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Zil, this forum is a great place to do what forums should be all about. Discuss and debate and most importantly enjoy and have fun. The Sox forum goes to such extremes as to become self-parody. Since you love the blues I consider you a soul brother. I never take your opinions personally because I know you never intend them to be. What you have going for you is what the world needs now...no, not love, sweet, love...but a sense of humour.

I'm right there with you when it comes to being "normal". Let me quote the great Curly: "Don't you dare hit me in the head... you know I'm not normal." And my sense of humor is always on "warped" speed. Let's face it buddy, we are not of this world.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Zil, this forum is a great place to do what forums should be all about. Discuss and debate and most importantly enjoy and have fun. The Sox forum goes to such extremes as to become self-parody. Since you love the blues I consider you a soul brother. I never take your opinions personally because I know you never intend them to be. What you have going for you is what the world needs now...no, not love, sweet, love...but a sense of humour. I'm right there with you when it comes to being "normal". Let me quote the great Curly: "Don't you dare hit me in the head... you know I'm not normal ." And my sense of humor is always on "warped" speed. Let's face it buddy, we are not of this world.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

I learned almost half of what I know from the 3 Stooges, The Marx Bros., Monty Python's Flying Circus,Henny Youngman,Cheech and Chong,SCTV,Chevy Chase and SNL, George Carlin, Rodney Dangerfield , Woody Allen and quite alot from Saturday morning cartoons (Rocky and Bullwinkle , fractured fairy tales, Tennesee Tuxedo)...if that doesn't make you "warped" or a bit nutty nothing will.

Most of my opinions are meant to irritate , but also I am truthful, just a little exaggerated to get a reaction, because arguing about sports is silly...but kind of fun. Actually lots of fun.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank you, thank you, thank you. : Please roy, continue to stay true to your beliefs on the Red Sox. I enjoy a good argument and have occasionally admitted that my opinion was not entirely the only one and that I could be swayed by a good counter-point. Here's the thing about sports that I always find funny, many sports fans can't laugh or criticize their team...like it's some kind of religion and God (or the GM) will smite you down if you should raise your voice in opposition to things you , as a fan, don't like. I don't want to dwell on this topic or hijack my own thread from it's original intent, but I thought you, roy, ought to hear this. The Red Sox front burner board has two main groups of people that I like to have a little fun with...and it's harmless, really. I have some fun with the trolls from other teams ( many of our Yankee fans are good guys, and are actually much better behaved than many of the Sox fans). The other group I like to have some harmless fun with is the "Red Sox are saints, Yankees sinners" also known as the "Theo is sent here from God and can do no wrong" crowd. I caught part of a show on PBS about major league baseball and saw the aprt about the homerun race /farce between Sosa and McGwire ( two steroid users). There was a segment of an interview with Pedro Martinez ( My favorite RedSox ever) where he says he got caught up in the excitement of the HR chase...he then stated that "Sometimes innoncence can be beautiful." referring  to the fact that once we were aware that this was all a big farce , we feel cheated and our excitement diminishes. I think as a kid , I was concerned only with the game and what happens on the field. Today we have so many pre-game and post-game shows, sports talk shows and the internet spoiling what we used to enjoy...just watching the game. The talk creates bad feelings and second guessing and leads to arguments which too many people take too seriously or personally. Again, sorry for the lengthy off topic sermon, but I want you , roy, to know I love the Red Sox and would not ever change teams , but i get a little disgusted with sports and the fact that so many people treat it like a religion and are afraid to speak out against their team. As fans we should let our displeasure be known, just like we do as voters. We criticize in hopes of making our voice heard when we are unhappy. Is a baseball team a democracy? No. But still we should not be as sheep and let the team believe that they can charge high prices, offer an inferior product and get away with it without knowing we have come to expect better.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I think as a kid , I was concerned only with the game and what happens on the field. Today we have so many pre-game and post-game shows, sports talk shows and the internet spoiling what we used to enjoy...just watching the game. 

Agree 100 percent.

Carl Yastzemski was my favorite player growing up. When I heard how he was a head case early in his career, I hated hearing that. At first, it did take something away. But then I also learned how he matured, how he became a leader and a jokester and it added to my admiration of him as a player. I realized he's human, he's not perfect, and that just because someone makes mistakes, it doesnt' make him a villain. That's why I try to look at the big picture when someone makes a mistake (or GM makes a bad trade). I try to balance that against the positives.

Losing that innocence takes away a certain level of enjoyment, but I found that being able to see things more clearly -- the good and the bad -- helps with the enjoyment. 

To take this a step further (and off-topic), my favorite biography is James Thomas Flexner's on George Washington. Growing up, Washington was sort of a marble figure, not a real person, so is accomplishments weren't fully appreciated. After reading the biography and getting to see him as a human being with strengths and weaknesses, and then to see what he accomplished, it makes him more impressive.

The talk creates bad feelings and second guessing and leads to arguments which too many people take too seriously or personally.

Agree. I don't mind second-guessing, but you can second-guess in a way that leads to great discussions instead of just flame-throwing like some posters do because it can lead to fun discussions. But too many take it way to seriously and way to personally like you said. There's nothing wrong with having differnent opinions. I have a friend at work who is a hard-core Yankees fan. Good guy overall, but when the Yankees are struggling and I joke about it, he gets all bent of shape. When the Yankees lose, he lets it affect his mood abd us miserable for awhile -- way over the top.

I love the Red Sox and would not ever change teams , but i get a little disgusted with sports and the fact that so many people treat it like a religion and are afraid to speak out against their team. As fans we should let our displeasure be known.

Here's the thing about sports that I always find funny, many sports fans can't laugh or criticize their team...like it's some kind of religion and God (or the GM) will smite you down if you should raise your voice in opposition to things you , as a fan, don't like.

Agree 100 percent and more. I don't have a problem critcizing one's own team. I'd probably do it more myself, but I find that there are too many posters who do with poor arguments, that I find myself addressing those posts.

Keep up the good work. I like your passion and humor on both boards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank you, thank you, thank you. : I think as a kid , I was concerned only with the game and what happens on the field. Today we have so many pre-game and post-game shows, sports talk shows and the internet spoiling what we used to enjoy...just watching the game.  Agree 100 percent. Carl Yastzemski was my favorite player growing up. When I heard how he was a head case early in his career, I hated hearing that. At first, it did take something away. But then I also learned how he matured, how he became a leader and a jokester and it added to my admiration of him as a player. I realized he's human, he's not perfect, and that just because someone makes mistakes, it doesnt' make him a villain. That's why I try to look at the big picture when someone makes a mistake (or GM makes a bad trade). I try to balance that against the positives. Losing that innocence takes away a certain level of enjoyment, but I found that being able to see things more clearly -- the good and the bad -- helps with the enjoyment.  To take this a step further (and off-topic), my favorite biography is James Thomas Flexner's on George Washington. Growing up, Washington was sort of a marble figure, not a real person, so is accomplishments weren't fully appreciated. After reading the biography and getting to see him as a human being with strengths and weaknesses, and then to see what he accomplished, it makes him more impressive. The talk creates bad feelings and second guessing and leads to arguments which too many people take too seriously or personally. Agree. I don't mind second-guessing, but you can second-guess in a way that leads to great discussions instead of just flame-throwing like some posters do because it can lead to fun discussions. But too many take it way to seriously and way to personally like you said. There's nothing wrong with having differnent opinions. I have a friend at work who is a hard-core Yankees fan. Good guy overall, but when the Yankees are struggling and I joke about it, he gets all bent of shape. When the Yankees lose, he lets it affect his mood abd us miserable for awhile -- way over the top. I love the Red Sox and would not ever change teams , but i get a little disgusted with sports and the fact that so many people treat it like a religion and are afraid to speak out against their team. As fans we should let our displeasure be known. Here's the thing about sports that I always find funny, many sports fans can't laugh or criticize their team...like it's some kind of religion and God (or the GM) will smite you down if you should raise your voice in opposition to things you , as a fan, don't like. Agree 100 percent and more. I don't have a problem critcizing one's own team. I'd probably do it more myself, but I find that there are too many posters who do with poor arguments, that I find myself addressing those posts. Keep up the good work. I like your passion and humor on both boards.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

roy, you are one of the good guys who post here. I have found that many of the Yankee so called trolls are also just kind of ruffling feathers and when they get the reaction they want it fuels them to continue. I take a different avenue and laugh along with them. As you might surmise, this works rather well and I have found that these people really aren't so bad, they just want to have a little fun, too. Perhaps the Yankee chat boards don't allow "fun"...just like they make the players shave the beards off.

Enough of that, back to the original point. I am glad you come here and talk music with the rest of us. It seems like music has so many artists and so many styles that we could discuss and we haven't hardly scratched the surface yet.

I would like to see smiley post here so we could discuss children's records and the songs of Sesame Street...just can't imagine him listening to Heavy Metal or Grunge. Of course, I am joking, his threads have really been a great platform for some of best humorous moments....sorry to the people who aren't familiar with what goes on in Red Sox land....I know I've really carried on a bit too far.