That's How It's Done / and/or the death of music

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: That's How It's Done / and/or the death of music

Do you know any of these guys' music: Robin Trower, Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore?  All phenomenal blues-rock players with big catalogues of albums.  Slash was a huge admirer of Rory Gallagher...I've seen an interview with him about Rory.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm actually writing something about Rory which I will put up here eventually. :-)  The best albums of his to dive into first, IMO, would be Photo Finish, Top Priority and Jinx.  For Robin Trower the essential album to start with is Bridge of Sighs.  For Gary Moore I would suggest starting with Corridors of Power.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Black Keys are fantastic, of course.  They are such master craftsmen and they have such great taste and feel.  They are able to pay homage and be creative at the same time.  Pretty cool.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Good call on Robin Trower HFX.

Here's a few that I like.

Savoy Brown,10 Years After,Humble Pie,Johnny Winter,Canned Heat,John Mayall

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Wilco

My Morning Jacket

Kings Of Leon

Gov't Mule

Gomez

Ben Harper

Black Keys

**These are some of my favorites of the last 15 or so years - with common threads including some classic rock sensibilities and attention to american roots rock, including blues, country, folk and even soul. **

If you're not hearing what you want, then you have to go out and find it.  

If you can't find it, then you're looking in the wrong place....

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You have to dig for most good music, it's always been that way.

The sh*t the radio gives you only scraped the surface, it is an introduction.

The radio introduced Rock to me in the late 60s and the 70s. I went from Beatles and Stones to Doors to Led Zeppelin to Deep Purple to Black Sabbath to AC/DC to Scorpions to Robin Trower to Rory Gallagher to hundreds of other artists and eventually found such gems as Impelltieri , Dead Kennedys , The Cramps , Godsmack, Sisters Of Mercy, Bauhaus, Albert Collins, Lonnie Johnson,Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee,Luther Allison, James Cotton, Little Walter and hundreds of other artists you would never hear unless you searched beneath the surface.

Radio has become like T.V. , a vast wasteland presented mainly for the simple-minded , it's mainly made to be "background" ...nondistracting ,"while you work music."

The problem with "great" music to those of us who appreciate it , it IS distracting. I cannot do my job well if Rush or Rainbow or Judas Priest were played constantly. I can only really enjoy the music I love if I sit in front of it and do not try to do anything too taxing on the brain. But, I guess people today want music that has no teeth. They just want backgound music.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I used to really shut new music out. But have found many really good bands that I truly enjoy over the past decade or so.. I just had to move on from there will never be anyone like the Clash, Pogues, Jam, Buzzcocks etc..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The thing is that there is so MUCH music out there that has already been recorded...

...with more coming every single day by the boatload.

And we barely touch upon other musical landscapes from other countries...the sum of which would eclipse our own several times over.

Just like in Art, Music is an infinite pursuit...impossible to take it all in...but so much FUN to try...!!!