The "After-5" Five

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The "After-5" Five

Might be too easy, but it's after 5:00, and this is for fun, and not meant to be work.   =)

1. Rick Roberts and Jock Bartley founded a band.   Name the band.   

2. What was the first Beatles album to come packaged with a poster?

3.  Who among the following was never a member of Buffalo Springfield?

Richie Furay
         Bruce Palmer
         Neil Young
         John Foley York
         Stephen Stills
         Jim Messina
         Jim Fielder

4.  What is the best selling (highest) Rolling Stones album?  

5.  What was the title of David Bowie's debut album?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: The

I'm going to take my best shot ( sorry, just noticed this thread now at 12:57 P.M. on Sat., I don't see posts made after 5:00 P.M. as I only do this during breaks from work).

1. I remember Rick Roberts from a band called Firefall....nice mellow Rock ( I hate the term Softrock) , I have a couple of their CDs , sort of like CSNY meets Bread , not totally unlike Pure Prairie League or Poco ...so, my guess is 'Firefall.'

2. I want to say the Magical Mystery Tour album. I seem to remember a poster, but I am not entirely sure if it had one , or if it was the 1st to have one.

3. I don't recall a guy named John Foley York ( seems to me I would remember a name like that), but I know for sure that Furay, Palmer, Young, Stills and Messina were the band, I also don;t remember Fieder. My educated guess is that it is York.

4. I'll bet I'm wrong on this one. But, I wonder if it is Some Girls. That LP had a lot of airplay, it was a very popular LP, it had some really good songs on it, it was a "comeback" album of sorts for the band, and it had a Disco song on it ( one of the few Disco songs I actually can stand, 'Miss You' ...sort of the Stones answer to Disco...."look guys we can do this too, but we choose not todo it very often." My favorite Stones LP is Let It Bleed...but I doubt it was the top seller...though it should be. Hope you are not including GREATEST HITS LPs, in that case I will change my choice to HOT ROCKS VOL.1, if you are strictly talking regular releases, I am going to stick with SOME GIRLS. - How's that for a lengthy , wishy-washy, unsure answer?

5. I have a Dvid Bowie CD that is an EP with his earliest songs called '1966.' I think this is his earliest recording ( although not really what you would call Rock), I also do not think it was actually an ALBUM. An album released in 1967 ( which I also own on CD) was simply titled 'David Bowie' ( not the only album with this title ...originally , the 1969 album that had Space Oddity had it's title changed to Space Oddity and I believe it was also released as 'Unwashed and Somewhat Slighty Dazed' at one time). So the answer, I believe is 'David Bowie' ...the 1967 LP.

Please tell me I got at least one right.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Forgot to add, that these are by no means "easy."

You know this crowd too well , these might be easy for someone, but I had to really think on all of them, and I refuse to cheat....if anyone gets all these right, I am betting on Matty.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

1. I have no idea what the answer is to the first question

2. I think it's the White Album.I know it came with posters because I still remember putting them on my wall when I was much younger.There was 1 poster of each Beatle.

3.I'll go with Fielder,but that's 100% guess.

4.Like Zilla,I'd say Hot Rocks if you're counting "greatest hits" albums.If you're not,I'd say probably "Exile on Main St"

5.I actually don't have any idea about this either

"Another day closer to the parade"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Forgot to add, that these are by no means "easy."

You know this crowd too well , these might be easy for someone, but I had to really think on all of them, and I refuse to cheat....if anyone gets all these right, I am betting on Matty.

What the blank was I thinking?    I said these were possibly too easy?    That's so not true.  I agree, Zilla, I did not judge the difficulty of these questions very well.   You'd think I could answer them myself ... yeah right.    ;)

Mea culpa.   

BTW, I don't think I posted during the day when I wrote the "after 5" so when I got here, I decided to make some brain teasers to close out the day.    Somehow, this thread must have gotten buried that evening, so thanks for resurrecting it, as I did put some thought into it.  

I saw an online discussion where people were expressing if they preferred the Byrds or Buffalo Springfield.   That's how I got into this; anytime I see a discussion re: the Byrds, I read it.   Laughing

But many of the commenters went into great detail as to why they thought Buffalo Springfield had as deep a legacy, even though they made so few albums.   This is how I derived a couple of the questions.   (NOTE: most people seem to think the Byrds are not credited highly enough for their influence, and even think that after the Beatles, the Byrds were the "other" most influential band of their generation).      

Anyhow, let me see how you and Mr Mojo did ... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I'm going to take my best shot ( sorry, just noticed this thread now at 12:57 P.M. on Sat., I don't see posts made after 5:00 P.M. as I only do this during breaks from work).

1. I remember Rick Roberts from a band called Firefall....nice mellow Rock ( I hate the term Softrock) , I have a couple of their CDs , sort of like CSNY meets Bread , not totally unlike Pure Prairie League or Poco ...so, my guess is 'Firefall.'

Firefall it is.   Amazing job.  This was an offshoot of the Buffalo Springfield discussion.

2. I want to say the Magical Mystery Tour album. I seem to remember a poster, but I am not entirely sure if it had one , or if it was the 1st to have one.

See Mr Mojo's response.    

3. I don't recall a guy named John Foley York ( seems to me I would remember a name like that), but I know for sure that Furay, Palmer, Young, Stills and Messina were the band, I also don;t remember Fieder. My educated guess is that it is York.

Once again, you're right on the money.   Amazing.   This was NOT easy!  (again, offshoot of that discussion I mentioned)

4. I'll bet I'm wrong on this one. But, I wonder if it is Some Girls. That LP had a lot of airplay, it was a very popular LP, it had some really good songs on it, it was a "comeback" album of sorts for the band, and it had a Disco song on it ( one of the few Disco songs I actually can stand, 'Miss You' ...sort of the Stones answer to Disco...."look guys we can do this too, but we choose not todo it very often." My favorite Stones LP is Let It Bleed...but I doubt it was the top seller...though it should be. Hope you are not including GREATEST HITS LPs, in that case I will change my choice to HOT ROCKS VOL.1, if you are strictly talking regular releases, I am going to stick with SOME GIRLS. - How's that for a lengthy , wishy-washy, unsure answer?

I said "album" with no restrictions on "studio", so I have to hand it to you again with HOT ROCKS.     

5. I have a Dvid Bowie CD that is an EP with his earliest songs called '1966.' I think this is his earliest recording ( although not really what you would call Rock), I also do not think it was actually an ALBUM. An album released in 1967 ( which I also own on CD) was simply titled 'David Bowie' ( not the only album with this title ...originally , the 1969 album that had Space Oddity had it's title changed to Space Oddity and I believe it was also released as 'Unwashed and Somewhat Slighty Dazed' at one time). So the answer, I believe is 'David Bowie' ...the 1967 LP.

This was there for the taking for you, as  Bowie fan (and Matty would no doubt know this one, too).    It's self-titled, so yeah, you got this one, too.

Please tell me I got at least one right.

Are you kidding me?  You're too humble.   You got 4 out of 5.    Brilliant job.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

1. I have no idea what the answer is to the first question

I don't know what I was thinking when I said this was easy.   Smile

2. I think it's the White Album.I know it came with posters because I still remember putting them on my wall when I was much younger.There was 1 poster of each Beatle.

The White Album is the one.   Nice.   Hey, you got the one Zilla didn't get.   Hahaha!!

3.I'll go with Fielder,but that's 100% guess.

4.Like Zilla,I'd say Hot Rocks if you're counting "greatest hits" albums.If you're not,I'd say probably "Exile on Main St"

It's Hot Rocks; it's the one that was listed as the absolute best seller, with no restrictions on studio.    Otherwise, Exile is next, so you got it either way.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I never had all the old Beatles LPs on vinyl.

Not making excuses but this is why I stumbled on this particular question.

About a month after I bought my first CD player ( early 1989, I think) , I ordered the entire Beatles catalogue on CD from a mail order house. It included 'Past Masters 1' and 'Past Masters 2', two discs of non- album tracks. and many that were on EPs or on the Ameriacn release, not the British and Vice-Versa.

I took a wild guess , because none of the Beatles LP's that I had on vinyl had posters that I recall, which would have been 'Meet The Beatles', 'Abbey Road' , 'Sgt, Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band', 'Revolver' , 'Magical Mystery Tour' ( I thought it may have had a poster on it's original pressing ...maybe. But , I didn't have an original) and 'Rubber Soul.'

You almost had me on the Buffalo Springfield personel, I was 50/50 on the two guys I had never heard the names Fieder and York....I guessed right !