The best band in the World?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: The best band in the World?

I'm no fan of Coldplay, as I find them derivative and lyrically insipid and would have trouble coming up with even 10 songs of theirs I genuinely like.

That said, this comment seems to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  Nobody could be THAT unjustifiably arrogant, could they...?

When they first broke out, they were referred to as "radiohead-lite", a hackish term at the time that has not grown any less so in the decade-plus since.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

wow.

just wow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Coldplay's first couple of albums were quite good, in fact Parachutes was excellent and groundbreaking. But for some reason, they have not been able IMO to replicate it.  Thom Yorke of Radiohead, which  a lot of people consider World's best, calls Coldplay "lifestyle Music,"  I'd agree. Clocks is annoying as hell.

But to each his own.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Being known as the "best band in the world" means little in 2011.

Let's face it, this is not 1967 or 1972 or even 1985. Not to throw stones at today's music, I am sure there are dozens and dozens of worthy groups that I haven't even heard of ( but , thanks to yogafriend, I soon will ). however the competion in , say, 1970 was really tough! With the Beatles breaking up, the crown would be passed around and no clear winner. But , oddly enough, it was only the beginning. the 70's would start with lots of Metal and Prog bands, then the California groups, folk rock , etc., and end with Punk and New Wave from all corners of the globe!

To say you are the best in 2011, well, it just doesn't impress me that much....but, surely U2 and Coldplay is not it!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Re: The best band in the World?:
    [QUOTE]Being known as the "best band in the world" means little in 2011. Let's face it, this is not 1967 or 1972 or even 1985. Not to throw stones at today's music, I am sure there are dozens and dozens of worthy groups that I haven't even heard of ( but , thanks to yogafriend, I soon will ). however the competion in , say, 1970 was really tough! With the Beatles breaking up, the crown would be passed around and no clear winner. But , oddly enough, it was only the beginning. the 70's would start with lots of Metal and Prog bands, then the California groups, folk rock , etc., and end with Punk and New Wave from all corners of the globe! To say you are the best in 2011, well, it just doesn't impress me that much....but, surely U2 and Coldplay is not it!!!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Good point. I'd be hard pressed to anoint another band as World's best since the beatles broke up (well maybe Zeppelin for a time).  There will always be popular bands that have the songs i.e U2,, but looking at concert sales in 2011, Taylor Swift is right up there with the heavyweights, is she considered a World's best?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Being known as the "best band in the world" means little in 2011.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I think it means now exactly what it meant back then, which is not very much.

1971 has the benefit of 30 years of hindsight, reflection and repetition,

so I have to disagree with the rest of your comparison.  It just doesn't make any sense.

And perhaps by way of incident, the music world is exponentially both more diverse AND more competitive than it was back then.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]comical.  Coldplay's first couple of albums were quite good, in fact Parachutes was excellent and groundbreaking. But for some reason, they have not been able IMO to replicate it.  Thom Yorke of Radiohead, which  a lot of people consider World's best, calls Coldplay "lifestyle Music,"  I'd agree. Clocks is annoying as hell. But to each his own.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

excellent, yes, groundbreaking, i would say absolutely not. remember, as matty said, they were labeled "radiohead-lite" after parachutes for a reason.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

when the beatles were around, it was the only time that the most popular band in the world was ACTUALLY the best band, IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I just cannot even comment on this.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The best band in the World? : excellent, yes, groundbreaking, i would say absolutely not. remember, as matty said, they were labeled "radiohead-lite" after parachutes for a reason.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE

Groundbreaking in the sense that it was fresh and new. They kind of came out of the blue with this album of really good songs. It kind of made you stand up and take notice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The best band in the World? : I think it means now exactly what it meant back then, which is not very much. 1971 has the benefit of 30 years of hindsight, reflection and repetition, so I have to disagree with the rest of your comparison.  It just doesn't make any sense. And perhaps by way of incident, the music world is exponentially both more diverse AND more competitive than it was back then.  
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Well, in a nutshell , I am saying the competion today is not as it once was. Mainly because I feel the building or growing years of Rock provided much experimenting and these experiments led to great competition between bands and lots of creativity.

I do not think we are in a "creative" period of music. Perhaps it is because so much new music is not "popular" music anymore. When creative "new"music was somewhat "popular" it would have been so much harder to say "we are #1" because the competition in the 70's was among very, very creative bands that were also popular enough to get lots of T.V. and radio exposure. A newer group that I think sounds real good is "Portugal the Man" , however the general public has no idea that they exist because radio , MTV and network T.V. do not bring them to people's living rooms anymore. This has been the case for some time as a great, legendary group such as the Smiths reamins to this day still largely a "cult" band with devoted fans ( mostly 30's , 40's and early 50's age groups) but the majority of people ( some young and some old) never heard them....which is very sad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Not sure who the best band in the world today is, but I would seriously place Arcade Fire ahead of U2 and definitely Coldplay.. there are many bands I like that I would consider the best or near the best...but Arcade Fire can do it all basically

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I feel what's happen over the last couple of decades is that the music we hear is forced on us from the top down. 30 years ago the music came to us from the bottom up. It developed a following and reached it's peak on the charts many weeks later due to demand. Today's hit songs chart almost immediately, as if we are told what are the hits. Hence the idie movement.

I read an article once where John Cougar was talking about this, and he gave a great example, "I recorded a song that most of you may know called I Need A lover, it never reached any higher on the charts than #15. But I'll bet most of you could hum the chorus. Now, Mariah Carey has more #1 hits than any other female pop star, can anyone hum a chorus from any of her hits." I thought that was great example as to how things have evolved over the last 20-30 years.

Best band, who knows if a poll was taken I think there's a pretty good chance they would come up 1 or 2.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I feel what's happen over the last couple of decades is that the music we hear is forced on us from the top down. 30 years ago the music came to us from the bottom up. It developed a following and reached it's peak on the charts many weeks later due to demand. Today's hit songs chart almost immediately, as if we are told what are the hits. Hence the idie movement. I read an article once where John Cougar was talking about this, and he gave a great example, "I recorded a song that most of you may know called I Need A lover, it never reached any higher on the charts than #15. But I'll bet most of you could hum the chorus. Now, Mariah Carey has more #1 hits than any other female pop star, can anyone hum a chorus from any of her hits." I thought that was great example as to how things have evolved over the last 20-30 years. Best band, who knows if a poll was taken I think there's a pretty good chance they would come up 1 or 2.   
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

Yes, I completely agree with the "as if we are immediatly told what are the hits" part, especially.

In the example you use, 'I Need A Lover' by John Mellancamp, many people may also be familiar with this song because Pat Benatar did a great cover of the song. I like both versions and know the song very well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I know that slim was really just having a laugh here, but I just feel like ranting a bit. I am annoyed by how we all think we know anything about what is best when much of it is based on personal taste. Does the best mean technically, as far as musical skills? How do we measure that? Does it mean creatively, a very subjective term? What the hell does it mean?

Personally, I don't know a damn thing about what is best. I happen to find a couple of Coldplay songs catchy but I wouldn't be able to analyze and explain why they are "good" songs. I just like to listen to them. I used to read the opinions of the music critics but now on the internet everyone has become one. Opinions on what is the best are subjective and emotional and so they are completely unreliable. Music experts may be able to pick out bum notes, but if they don't bother me it is irrelevant to my enjoyment. I like what I like, even if everyone online says it sucks. Hence, the worst band may in fact be the best.

BTW, I have no strong opinion either way on Coldpay, just happen to like a couple of their songs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I love music!  When I was younger I worked in a Hi-Fi store selling stereo equipment. We gave a sound system to a local record store (talk about dating yourself!) in return we got to borrow 40 albums a month! With all the staff making the choices you couldn't help but be exposed to a lot of different artists it was fun.

Best band in the world? Whoever "you" say it is!

Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

The "ULTIMATE" BAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qXm4nzyev8

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I know that slim was really just having a laugh here, but I just feel like ranting a bit. I am annoyed by how we all think we know anything about what is best when much of it is based on personal taste. Does the best mean technically, as far as musical skills? How do we measure that? Does it mean creatively, a very subjective term? What the hell does it mean? Personally, I don't know a damn thing about what is best. I happen to find a couple of Coldplay songs catchy but I wouldn't be able to analyze and explain why they are "good" songs. I just like to listen to them. I used to read the opinions of the music critics but now on the internet everyone has become one. Opinions on what is the best are subjective and emotional and so they are completely unreliable. Music experts may be able to pick out bum notes, but if they don't bother me it is irrelevant to my enjoyment. I like what I like, even if everyone online says it sucks. Hence, the worst band may in fact be the best. BTW, I have no strong opinion either way on Coldpay, just happen to like a couple of their songs.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Interesting thoughts.  What I like about this music forum is that we have people who are very knowledgable and have some strong opinions, but they don't flip out when somebody disagrees with them, because, I think, they accept the subjectivity of opinions on music.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'd take Oasis over Coldplay any day.  I only know one Coldplay song and don't want to know anymore.  Didn't the dude's wife name their kid Apple Pie?  Hell I'd love to hit her (damn there I go again thinking about sex).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I just cannot even comment on this.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]I'll save you from having to. The best band in the world? Are you kidding me? Have you ever heard of the Beatles? I mean c'mon. The honorable mention has to go to the All Star Trio, Muddy Waters Little Walter and Jimmie Rodgers.