The debut album that was never surpassed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The debut album that was never surpassed

Many innovative rock artists impress and improve over time.  They may not deliver their best album until they are at the mid-point and/or well into their careers.  

There are others, and perhaps quite a few, who come out of the gate with a debut release that they couldn't (and never did) top.   They not only didn't save the best for last, the best was the album that was first up.

It's not as though the artists that never bettered their debut haven't or didn't continue to produce great music ... and for years ... you remained loyal and love(d) the music, but you waited and waited for something *better* -- and nothing better ever materialized.  

What artists, in your estimation, have never been able to top their debut album?   The Pretenders?  Pearl Jam?  

Thoughts, anyone?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: The debut album that was never surpassed

Right off the top of my head, The Cars and Boston spring to mind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Boston must be the ultimate example of this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Moby Grape

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Van Halen's debut was their best.

But, I wasn't disappointed with Van Halen's others. I just really think they weren't as good.

Same with the Cars and Boston mentioned by p-mike. Boston's 2nd album was pretty good, I like it alot, it was a minor notch below the first one.

I suppose it is a matter of opinion. Foreigner and Pat Benatar made a lot of great Lp's, I think both equalled their debut with followups, but I can't say that any "surpassed" the debut.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Well,I would have said Boston,Pearl Jam and GNR too.A couple more I'd add are
    The Stray Cats and Rick Derringer

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: The debut album that was never surpassed:
    [QUOTE]Van Halen's debut was their best. But, I wasn't disappointed with Van Halen's others. I just really think they weren't as good.   Same with the Cars and Boston mentioned by p-mike. Boston's 2nd album was pretty good, I like it alot, it was a minor notch below the first one. I suppose it is a matter of opinion. Foreigner and Pat Benatar made a lot of great Lp's, I think both equalled their debut with followups, but I can't say that any "surpassed" the debut.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I would say the same thing about Candy-O. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, but The Cars had set the bar so high that further efforts were bound to suffer by comparison. As for Foreigner, I suspect sales of Foreigner 4 probably surpassed the debut, but personally, I liked the early sound much  better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Thomas Dolby, Golden Age of Wireless. The Album was a classic not so much for the overplayed "She blinded me with Science," which I thought was the weakest song on the album, but for great tracks like " Windpower, One of Our Submarines, Radio Silence, and Europa and the Pirate twins." But for me the track" Airwaves,"is the real standout on that album.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The debut album that was never surpassed : I would say the same thing about Candy-O. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, but The Cars had set the bar so high that further efforts were bound to suffer by comparison. As for Foreigner, I suspect sales of Foreigner 4 probably surpassed the debut, but personally, I liked the early sound much  better.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

'Candy-O', 'Don't Look Back', and 'Van Halen 2' have much in common. Only Van Halen got it right by adding '2' to the title. 'Candy-O' should have been titled 'Cars 2', they did not deviate from the first LP very much, but somehow I still find the first one considerably better. 'Don't Look Back' was very much an extension of the first one, it could easily have been coupled with the debut as a two record set.

Up until the Clash released 'London Calling' their debut seemed unsurpassable. But "The only band that mattered" showed why they mattered so much by releasing a double album filled with gems and seemingly devoid of filler....perhaps the only band to outdo their debut (or theri best effort) with a 2-record (studio) set.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Agree on the Cars.

For those who have knowledge of the Velvet Underground -- what do you think?  First / best?  Just wondering.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Agree on the Cars. For those who have knowledge of the Velvet Underground -- what do you think?  First / best?  Just wondering.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Never had a favorite Velvet Underground LP.

Love the song 'Sweet Jane.'...a classic whether done by the Velvets or by Mott The Hoople.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

There are so many of them, but I have to agree that it has to be Boston. It is well regarded as one of the great debut albums of all-time and it took years to follow up and with an inferior product that showed little to no progression.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Hooters - Nervous Night

Great debut, followed by respectable second album, followed by poor third album, followed by 'See ya'...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Strokes - Is This It

The Stone Roses

The Doors

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted

The Band - Music From Big Pink

Television - Marquee Moon

Portishead - Dummy

Rage Against The Machine

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The Violent Femmes first album was amazing. After that they couldnt equal

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]The Cars are probably the obvious choice for me too.  It's tough to comment on that band because one of my cousins was a member.  I haven't done a great job keeping current with music either, best I can come up with are Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians and the Spin Doctors.  Wasn't crazy about either debut album, but both were better than anything that followed. There is at least one 'Rings' fan lurking around here, so I'll throw that name out too.  They only released one album, so you can't argue that they ever topped it!
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]
    You're right ... the release of one album doesn't count.  Nice try.  :D

Funny, but I was waiting for Zilla to say the Sex Pistols (they only released one studio album -- the rest were live), a nice little fact I learned from him, actually.  That would fit a thread entitled "one album / maximum impact"  --  I have no idea how many bands exist that released only one studio album who went on to become as legendary as the Sex Pistols.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

To me there's a theme that runs through this, through the arcs of the artists who lose their winning touch.

'The pen is mightier than the axe.'

You can be the greatest band in the world, but it's your ability to write good material, and to keep writing new good material, that makes or breaks you as a recording artist.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Matty - Disagree on The Band. The second album, The Band, was at least as good, if not better, than the debut. I was going to make a similar choice with Hendrix but same thing there, next album was different, but great in its own way. Much like The Band's first two.

Now after The Band, you could argue there was a big drop-off. But the first two albums are great, IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Weezer - (Blue Album)

start to finish, a very fun album.  very well put together.  they lost their original bassist due to family issues after this, and he eventually formed The Rentals I believe.  He wrote Say it Ain't So, and Undone, I believe.

Also, going out on a limb of sorts here...

Paul McCartney - McCartney

never quite reached that point again while solo IMHO, possibly due to his insistance of having Linda play keyboards and sing.  (complex re: John + Yoko, methinks).  He did the first album all by himself on a 4-track analog recorder, I believe.
    Oh, and I am counting Wings as never matching up to it, either.  Band on the Run would have been either 3 great songs, or 1 great one if the transitions were smooth.  Of course, I probably would have been blown away if I had heard it when it first came out.  Radiohead spoiled me re: 3-part songs with Paranoid Android.

Matty, Rage self-titled!?  Noooooooo!  Battle of Los Angelos and Evil Empire are amazing too!  I think I like them all the same.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Also, going out on a limb of sorts here... Paul McCartney - McCartney never quite reached that point again while solo IMHO, possibly due to his insistance of having Linda play keyboards and sing.  (complex re: John + Yoko, methinks).  He did the first album all by himself on a 4-track analog recorder, I believe. Oh, and I am counting Wings as never matching up to it, either.   
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    If I may be so humble  ... I don't want to pick nits with you (I should know better) but did Paul really have more than one *purely* solo album?  

I don't count Wings, either, as that was his band, not Paul goin' solo.  I absolutely love "McCartney" --  was that it, though?

I have very little knowledge of Wings, btw, other than the main hits that everyone seems to know.    Should I bother?  :P    NOTE: The Wings songs that I do know, are expendable; I don't really like any of them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

McCartney II, released in 1980. first solo album since formation of wings, I believe. 
    ...not to mention Tug of War, Pipes for Peace, Give My Regards to Broad Street, Press to Play, Flowers in the Dirt, Off the Ground, Run Devil Run, Driving Rain, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard...

I really didn't enjoy Wings.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from uclid2. Show uclid2's posts

McCartney i can agree with, also Blind Faith ( but they only had one album)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Matty - Disagree on The Band. The second album, The Band , was at least as good, if not better, than the debut. I was going to make a similar choice with Hendrix but same thing there, next album was different, but great in its own way. Much like The Band's first two. Now after The Band , you could argue there was a big drop-off. But the first two albums are great, IMO.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Once upon a time, I would have agreed with you, but the years have cottoned me to their debut instead....a personal preference maybe, as I concur that both are amazing, but I just like Big Pink better.

It really comes down to two tracks: "Long Black Veil" and "I Shall Be Released" which are among my favorites of all-time.