The future ...it's in the past.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The future ...it's in the past.

Remember when David Bowie sang about 1984...that was in 1973.

Remember when McCartney sang about Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five?....yup, that was 1973 again. McCartney had the vision to look beyond Bowie at least one more year.

Remember when Prince sang about partying like it's 1999? ....that was 1982. He had to look further ahead because 1984 was only two years away....he was safe because his "future song" was still light years away ( well, 17 years only seemed like light years away, it went by kinda fast...).

Remember when Melissa Etheridge asked us to "wake me when we hit 2001?" ...that was 1992....

All these future songs are now about the past. Didn't anyone ever tell these artists they need to write a song about the future that doesn't get old too fast?....

...In The Year 2525....by Zager and Evans...

NOW THESE GUYS KNOW HOW TO REACH WAY INTO THE FUTURE, this song will always be about the future.

Those were a couple of really smart guys..don't you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: The future ...it's in the past.

Besides wanting to be a 20th Century Boy,in 1973 Marc Bolan (of T. Rex) was thinking about the future when he wanted to take a 21st Century Stance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mya_0JBdmSg

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

When I was a kid, the year 2000 seemed like some kind of mythical thing that couldn't possibly actually ever come about, in the same way I never thought I would have a communictor like Captain Kirk or a video phone like George Jetson . . .   and yet I do (and so do you). The truth is that young people don't ever really believe they're going to get old and so "the future" never really gets here. The guy I see in the mirror every day when I'm shaving is the same guy I've always seen. It's me. I have no idea who the kid in the photo albums is and the truth is, I don't really remember what it was like to be him (even though I pretend I do). I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here, unless it's that if I was going to write a song about tomorrow, it would probably have a lot of stuff about yesterday in it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

When I was in my freshman year of high school, we had a class called Earth Science. The subject of the year 2000 came up and (smart kid that I was) I used my superior math skills to calculate that I would be 42 years old in the year 2000. This seemed kind of like "wow, I 'm gonna be kind of old by then."

From that point on I started spending more time listening to Rock music and watching T.V. , my feeling was that I might be too old to have fun by 2000.

Here it is 2012, I am 54...and still listening to Rock, watching the Red Sox, reading Sci-Fi books and doing many of the same things I did when I was a kid. I stared playing video games im the 80s and bought a Playstation when I was 41, not for the kids ( I don't have any), but for me.

I expected to be old by 2000. But, strange as it may seem, I am still not old and the fun may be interupted by serious stuff, but it still goes on to some degree. I never imagined it would be like this, I really thought back in 1972 , that I would not still act and think like a kid in the year 2000. Here it is 2012 and I am still a big kid in the way I think about so many things. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Those were a couple of really smart guys..don't you think?

- No they just smoked some really good "stuff"....LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I thought I would be dead. I had really bought into the "Hope I Die Before I Get Old" generation. So therefore I do not look at myself as old. I am certainly much younger now that my old man was at this age.

I also look in the mirror when shaving and see the lines on my face and wonder if each of them is one of the roads I traveled in the past. There are a lot of roads. And then I see my hair half way down my back and wonder if it is time to grow up yet and cut it.

My aim is 2020 - if I can see that year, and reach that first pension check and not have to wake up to go to work then I will have accomplished something so many of my friends were not able to do. Then I will accept being old.

I think I should go to the gym now. Have a great SUnday gang.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

For what it's worth Zilla - I pictured you as a 20 something that loved his parent's music and worked at Newbury Comics and ate,drank and breathed music 24 x 7....

Proof that you're as young as you think you are...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Zager and Evans did make a good call with the number 2525.  But I'm not sure that makes these one-hit wonders smarter than Bowie, McCartney and Prince. :-) 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Z -- good posts. To add on that line -- we are now two years past when Doc Brown went 25 years into the future. 

And didn't Khan (Ricardo Montalban) and the Botony Bay blast off in 1997 in that Star Trek episode?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Z -- good posts. To add on that line -- we are now two years past when Doc Brown went 25 years into the future. 

And didn't Khan (Ricardo Montalban) and the Botony Bay blast off in 1997 in that Star Trek episode?

[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54

[/QUOTE]

FUNNY! Evil-gasm.......lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For what it's worth Zilla - I pictured you as a 20 something that loved his parent's music and worked at Newbury Comics and ate,drank and breathed music 24 x 7....

Proof that you're as young as you think you are...

[/QUOTE]

My mind is still twenty something -most of the time. It's the body , that is showing a few signs of age....however , and this is more good news, I don't smoke, drink or use drugs ( unless the occassional ibuprofen,  and aspirin counts). Without the grey hair, I could pass for a few years younger.

I think young, therefore I am young.....my version of "I think , therefore I am."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Star Trek :the Wrath Of Khan is one of the best ever Sci-Fi movies. The acting is superior to most of that genre and the special effects are done well...not overblown.

The story , however, is not original...which is not to say it's bad. The story is Moby Dick in space. Khan is Captain Ahab and the Enterprise ( or Kirk) is the great white whale that is the obsession of the movie's antagonist ( Montalban). It is a futuristic , modified version of a classic tale.