The groups of the 80's that are frozen in time.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The groups of the 80's that are frozen in time.

Many of the artists that were introduced to us via music videos on MTV in the 80's never made it out of the 80's. They seem to belong to that decade. Unlike many 60's and 70's artists who are not "frozen in time" because of classic rock stations and the fact that many of them continued on beyond the decade where they made their initial mark , some split and joined supergroups (ELP, Bad Company) and others continued on as solo artists ( Joe Walsh, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, etc.), while even others pressed on in their familiar form (Rolling Stones, Kinks, Aerosmith).

I give you images of groups that are "frozen" in time and will always be '80's groups, some had one big hit, others had many:

would anyone want to attempt to name the 12 artists?...a few are very easy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: The groups of the 80's that are frozen in time.

I have this strange affection for this era...the sound was unique, the names of the bands were imaginative, and the appearence was...well very unique and so,...I don't know....just so 80's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I've got:

3 Thomas Dolby
    4 Loverboy
    5 Thompson Twins
    6 The Fixx
    8 Seagulls
    9 Adam Ant
    10 Culture Club
    12 Duran Duran

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

What epitomized that 80's music scene?  Videos, synthesizers, dance beats, foppish hairsyles and clothes...in a way it was kind of a new psychedelia.

I think one of the quintessential 80's songs was 'Don't You Want Me' by Human League. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

2-Kajagoogoo -You're too shy shy
    7- Dead or alive - You spin me around
    11-Bow Wow Wow -I want candy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Dead or Alive is not pictured.

All the other seem to be correct...I'll check my list.

No one has correctly guessed #1 or #7  yet. And Mr. Soxnut has only given a partial answer to #8....Alex Trebek would not allow that answer, and neither will I. The correct name is (something)( something) Seagulls....which is a dead giveaway...and the hit song sounds the same and is spelled the same as the name of the Middle Eastern country that had an Ayotollah ( old religious guy with a long white beard who hates Americans).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

My nomination is Jack Mack and the Heart Attack
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_e5mGurAY

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: The groups of the 80's that are frozen in time.:
    [QUOTE]Dead or Alive is not pictured. All the other seem to be correct...I'll check my list. No one has correctly guessed #1 or #7  yet. And Mr. Soxnut has only given a partial answer to #8....Alex Trebek would not allow that answer, and neither will I. The correct name is (something)( something) Seagulls....which is a dead giveaway...and the hit song sounds the same and is spelled the same as the name of the Middle Eastern country that had an Ayotollah ( old religious guy with a long white beard who hates Americans).
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zilla believe it or not when I typed in the full name of the band, the first part was rejected by the forum auto-censor...I guess it's too close to a common curse-phrase.  Try it yourself and see. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]Dead or Alive is not pictured. All the other seem to be correct...I'll check my list. No one has correctly guessed #1 or #7  yet. And Mr. Soxnut has only given a partial answer to #8....Alex Trebek would not allow that answer, and neither will I. The correct name is (something)( something) Seagulls....which is a dead giveaway...and the hit song sounds the same and is spelled the same as the name of the Middle Eastern country that had an Ayotollah ( old religious guy with a long white beard who hates Americans).

My bad on Dead or Alive.It's actually INXS.

Hfx - Wow,I can't believe they censored the word that ryhmes with rock of Seagulls.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmich. Show kmich's posts

7-INXS

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lokman. Show lokman's posts

madness#1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lokman. Show lokman's posts

Is #1 oingo boingo?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

#1 is Devo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Although I appreciate these bands very much, I associate the 80's decade with:

Click to show "Def Leppard" result 13

L.A. Guns

ez_old22.jpg

Motley-crue - motley-crue photo

Cinderella_(band)

Guns N’ Roses

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Jesseyeric's bands look cooler than Zillagod's. Probably sound better too.

1. Def Leppard
    3. Poison
    5. White Snake
    6. Motley Crue
    9. Guns N' Roses

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Jesseyeric's bands look cooler than Zillagod's. Probably sound better too. 1. Def Leppard 3. Poison 5. White Snake 6. Motley Crue 9. Guns N' Roses
    Posted by Klaas[/QUOTE]

You got them except for Whitesnake. They are not there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

fl ock of seagulls

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

For the record, even on a radio station website, they could not put Bruce Cockburn's name.   I either keep or view the playlists on some websites, mostly WERS, just to see what's goin on (and certainly if I'm live streaming) and last week I saw his name on the playlist and was aghast that they were not allowed to spell it out properly.  

It is not (just) BDC by a longshot.    AND hey, it just passed muster here, you see.  Woah.  :D

And to continue here, I'll plug PSB: Pet Shop Boys, one of my favorite bands of all time, originating in the 80's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Funny I never thought this band was a curse word....apologies to all.

a F L O C K  of S E A G U L L S...is the correct answer to #8 and the hit song was a really catchy tune called "I Ran." That this song came out a few short years after the hostage crisis always seemed a bit of an odd coincidence. But , I can find no hidden double meaning.

#1 , which no one correctly guessed is not Devo, Madness or Oingo Boingo...all good guesses , all groups that I could have included here which fit the mold very well.

I will reveal the name now as I believe that if this group can't identify them in 3 days , they will not get the answer. ( I don't believe I really did it!!!...I finally stumped you guys for more than 2 hours!!!)

#1 is ( drum roll ..please...) ...Split Enz.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

jessie unknowingly has made a major contribution to this thread ( not surprisingly, though).

The types of artists I listed are more techno-pop , keyboard and synth oriented. The 70's era where guitar was king was pushed to the background as the keyboard, syn drums and various other synthesized noise temporaraly replaced guitar licks.

The groups jessey pictured are the next generation of guitar bands. Direct descendants of Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Slade, etc.

But it is kind of fun to see the difference in the appearance of the two groups. jessie's groups lean toward Glam, with makeup, leather jackets , and extremey long hair. My groups tend to have some makeup, colorful costumes with mostly bright colours and medium length to short hair...except for Loverboy, who would fit in either group, visually.

Rock was truly branching out in very different sub-genres and directions. These were but two of newest subgenres ( soon to follow, alternative and Grunge).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]Funny I never thought this band was a curse word....apologies to all. a F L O C K  of S E A G U L L S...is the correct answer to #8 and the hit song was a really catchy tune called "I Ran." That this song came out a few short years after the hostage crisis always seemed a bit of an odd coincidence. But , I can find no hidden double meaning. #1 , which no one correctly guessed is not Devo, Madness or Oingo Boingo...all good guesses , all groups that I could have included here which fit the mold very well. I will reveal the name now as I believe that if this group can't identify them in 3 days , they will not get the answer. ( I don't believe I really did it!!!...I finally stumped you guys for more than 2 hours!!!) #1 is ( drum roll ..please...) ...Split Enz.

Split Enz after splitting (ha,ha) moved on into the 90's, the core of the group becoming "Crowded House".

How about;

The Eurythmics
    Dexys Midnight Runners
    The Hooters
    The Fixx
    Night Ranger
    Billy Idol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Hooters showed so much promise, I really thought they were going to become one of the top bands.  I think 'All You Zombies' was one of the best songs of that decade.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

After the Fire

Der Kommisar

That is all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]For the record, even on a radio station website, they could not put Bruce Cockburn's name.   I either keep or view the playlists in some websites, mostly WERS, just to see what's goin on (and certainly if I'm live streaming) and last week I saw his name on the playlist and was aghast that they were not allowed to spell it out properly.   It is not (just) BDC by a longshot.    AND hey, it just passed muster here, you see.  Woah.
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I always thought it was funny that his name was pronounced Co-burn.  What a copout!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The groups of the 80's that are frozen in time. : I always thought it was funny that his name was pronounced Co-burn.  What a copout!
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I work with a guy whose name is Koch, which he insists should be pronounced as Cook . . .  but he's not fooling me.

Cool