The Horrors: 3 albums and counting (and out of the garage)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The Horrors: 3 albums and counting (and out of the garage)

In our ongoing commitment to bring new and emerging music to the attention of this august forum, I offer you a band from the UK who got their official start in the year 2005, and cut their first album in 2007.

The Horrors.  And don't let that (really good) hair fool you.  They're off the hook.  Post punk, a little psychedelic, experimental, and beautifully ambient at times. 

This is an interesting band that has been heavily influenced by some of the music of the 70's and 80's.  Some of the influences that are most commonly linked to this band are Joy Division, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and the Psychedelic Furs.   

First album was raw garage sound, but it put them on the map in the UK.  Their second album, that reached critical acclaim, "Primary Colours" -- showed that they were capable of refining their sound.  Just warnin' you ... it's late 80's sound and retro, but they put their own stamp on it.  Not sure if you would consider them slightly derivative, I don't think they are, but some of you may differ in that opinion.  I'd be interested to know.  

A few tracks:
    Sea Within a Sea
    She is the New Thing
    Still Life
    Changing the Rain
    Who Can Say

Any other fans of The Horrors out there?   Otherwise, I'm predicting you might be hearing more from this band ... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: The Horrors: 3 albums and counting (and out of the garage)

In Response to The Horrors: 3 albums and counting (and out of the garage):
    [QUOTE]In our ongoing commitment to bring new and emerging music to the attention of this august forum, I offer you a band from the UK who got their official start in the year 2005, and cut their first album in 2007. The Horrors.  And don't let that (really good) hair fool you.  They're off the hook.  Post punk, a little psychedelic, experimental, and beautifully ambient at times.  This is an interesting band that has been heavily influenced by some of the music of the 70's and 80's.  Some of the influences that are most commonly linked to this band are Joy Division, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and the Psychedelic Furs.    First album was raw garage sound, but it put them on the map in the UK.  Their second album, that reached critical acclaim, "Primary Colours" -- showed that they were capable of refining their sound.  Just warnin' you ... it's late 80's sound and retro, but they put their own stamp on it.  Not sure if you would consider them slightly derivative, I don't think they are, but some of you may differ in that opinion.  I'd be interested to know.   A few tracks: Sea Within a Sea She is the New Thing Still Life Changing the Rain Who Can Say Any other fans of The Horrors out there?   Otherwise, I'm predicting you might be hearing more from this band ... 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

My love- any of this on youtube?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The Horrors: 3 albums and counting (and out of the garage):
    [QUOTE]In Response to The Horrors: 3 albums and counting (and out of the garage) : My love- any of this on youtube?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

BTW, this band ... they're an acquired taste.   You might be drawn to the music, and then over time, find yourself pulled in.   Not saying this is a band you will fall for at first listen (and we all know how deceiving that can be anyhow).

Yes, all the tracks are on youtube.   I felt my intro post was lengthy, and didn't want to add to it with links, but good idea.  Here are a few, just for you (and anyone else who is interested) -- remember, this is just a sampling:

From newest album:

From first album:

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I have heard of them.. Big fan of Joy Division and also a fan of J&MC.. (not so much Psych Furs). so naturally I like things that have thier feel to it.. Thakns for the post as I will give them another try..

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'll check it out at some point.  I have been stuck using a PC with no speakers lately.

The band does have the "look" of groups like Psychedelic Furs, Jesus and Mary Chain and Love and Rockets among others that I absolutley adore.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I have heard of them.. Big fan of Joy Division and also a fan of J&MC.. (not so much Psych Furs). so naturally I like things that have thier feel to it.. Thakns for the post as I will give them another try..
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

LW,
    Based on one of your favorite bands, Interpol (you've mentioned them many times), as well as Joy Division, et al, yeah, you might like this band a bit.  Could take a bit of listening to convince you, but it would be great to give them another try ... just to see what you might be missing.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Horrors: 3 albums and counting (and out of the garage) : Wow, you weren't kidding when you said retro!  Right down to the Mini Moog. And the singer has that Rick Ocacek thing going, big time Intriguing
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

I like the Ric Ocasek observation.  You're right .. and it's worked quite well for Ocasek, hasn't it?  So there you go.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I'll check it out at some point.  I have been stuck using a PC with no speakers lately. The band does have the "look" of groups like Psychedelic Furs, Jesus and Mary Chain and Love and Rockets among others that I absolutley adore.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Zilla, 
    I only gave a few links to their songs.  They have many more on youtube, and only 3 albums out of the gate so far.  The first, "Strange House, is garage rock.  Then, a more developed sound in their second album, Primary Colours, the album I got introduced to.  And recently, a third album, "Skying", was released over the summer.  So that's their full catalogue to date.  
    Post-punk goth-rock, it's there.  And you get to try new/emerging music. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i'll check it out when i get home, i can't visit youtube on my computer here at work

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I absolutely love the song , "She is the New Thing."

The keyboard sound is very 60's...reminds me of the Animals and many other psych groups of that era.

They have a sort of late 80's look and sound and they remind me somewhat of a few groups of that era also.

Thanks yoga!...this is great stuff!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I absolutely love the song , "She is the New Thing." The keyboard sound is very 60's...reminds me of the Animals and many other psych groups of that era. They have a sort of late 80's look and sound and they remind me somewhat of a few groups of that era also. Thanks yoga!...this is great stuff!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Awesome, Zilla.  This band ... they kind of sneak up on you in many ways.  I had a feeling you'd rock to that song, too.  :)    

I'm going to keep my ears open for them.  Just wait.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

By way of an update here, as of last week when I created this thread for The Horrors, I had not seen any local press for them, nor had I heard any of their music on local radio (note: that of course does not mean that it had not been airing locally, but I had not heard any of their songs on air myself).  

Last night, listening to WFNX, I heard the opening notes of a song off of their latest album and knew it had to be "Still Life" (see link above), off of the album Skying.   I was psyched.   See, my prediction was coming true (not that it was a real prediction, but you know what I mean) ...  so here's to The Horrors.  Comin' on up.

OH, and the DJ's comment?  Love the fused 80's sound, and thought they sound a bit like Simple Minds.  They're far superior, IMHO.  :)