The importanat 60's band that you've probably forgotten about

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The importanat 60's band that you've probably forgotten about

They had two mega singles. They were pioneers of a style and a geographic location that would be at the heart of Rock 'n Roll for the next few years. They appeared in cartoon form on an episode of the Flinstones in 1965. A overwhelming majority of people under 45 years old have no idea who they are. Sylvester Stewart ( aka Sly Stone) produced their early records. Because the name is British sounding many lump them in with British invasion bands ( Hear that yoga?)and because they had a sound similar to British bands like the Searchers and the Zombies.

Do you have any idea who I am talking about?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: The importanat 60's band that you've probably forgotten about

A very good question Zilla.I think I actually know the band you're refering to.I don't want to give the answer away because you just posted the question.However,the groups name is comprised of 2 words,with the first letter in each word being the same letter. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Because the name is British sounding many lump them in with British invasion bands ( Hear that yoga?)and because they had a sound similar to British bands like the Searchers and the Zombies.Do you have any idea who I am talking about? 

Yes, I hear you, Zilla.  :D    BTW, I mentioned our inside Byrds joke to a friend, and she said that she had always thought they were British, too.  :)

Herman's Hermits can't be right (I am pretty sure they are British this time -- "I won't be fooled again") but figured I'd throw out a band that has alliteration in its name.  :P

Also, re: not wanting to reveal the answer too soon.  Don't worry about it; it's fair (and fine) in my book.  I've posted questions that were answered in less than 5 minutes (depending on who was here to see it), and I've never minded, and I am sure Zilla feels likewise.  If you know the answer, go for it, and put the rest of us out of our misery.  :)    

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

bellhorn proves that he actually does know something about music ( why can't you eliminate the annoying responses and discuss these topics with us instead of making lousy one line non-jokes?), I believe mojo has the right answer also.

Congratulations!

Beau Brummels

Why are they important? Before the hippie culture took over San Francisco's Haight - Ashbury district with bands like the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Blue Cheer and Moby Grape , before San Francisco spawned Steve Miller Band, Santana , the Tubes , Sly and the Family Stone and Journey.....before all these bands was the Beau Brummels. They influenced many American bands. Along with the Byrds and the Beach Boys they were one of few Americam bands to go toe to toe with the heavyweights coming from England on the first wave.

The two hits were 'Just A Little' and 'Laugh Laugh' two excellent songs that still sound great almost 50 years later.

They appeared as "The Beau Brummelstones" on a 1965 Filnstones cartoon. A cartoon well known for dipicting real celebrities as stone age cartoon celebrities ( Ann Margrock, Rock Hudstone, Mick Jadestone and the Rolling Boulders, Sandy Stoneaxe...etc).

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Yoga,I just wanted to give others a chance to answer.Zill took a while to post it and I didn't want to ruin it for everybody else.

Great question Zilla.I just happened to know the answer because fo their names.I always found "Beau Brummels" to be an interesting name because it's pretty unusual.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

There was another band from the 60's that has been largely forgotten about - Paul Revere and the Raiders.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I remember both the Beau Brummels and Paul Revere and the Raiders. My oldest sister's record collection made sure of that. Great music to grow up with. My kind of catchy pop music.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Slim..I used to have the Dizzy 45 too.It started out as my older sister's,but I kind of inherited it from her when she moved on to more psychedelic music.

I also had several Paul Revere and the Raiders 45s including "Kicks" and "Indian Reservation".I think Kicks was from the mid 60's and Indian Reservation was from 70-71.When I think of them,I put them in the same type of musical category as Tommy James and the Shondells or The Cowsills. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am thinking there are a whole lot of forgotten bands from the 60s.

How about:

The Seeds

13th Floor Elevators

Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Trashmen

Love

....I can name quite a few....many were one hit wonders, but The Beau Brummels had two big hits, and were truly one of the west coasts best early bands.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am thinking there are a whole lot of forgotten bands from the 60s.

How about:

The Seeds

13th Floor Elevators

Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Trashmen

Love

....I can name quite a few....many were one hit wonders, but The Beau Brummels had two big hits, and were truly one of the west coasts best early bands.

[/QUOTE]

The Seeds: Pushin' Too Hard - classic.

Another of those one-hit wonder bands I remember was The Balloon Farm, who did a great song called A Question of Temperature. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Zilla... Love "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown".Not only is "Fire" one of my favorite older songs,he also does a killer version (IMO) of Screamin'Jay Hawkins "I put a spell on you".I also liked that he wore a hat/cap with a ring of fire on it when he sang.How do you top that?

Here's a clip of Arthur Brown with Alice Cooper doing "Fire" in 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI6Ut8ww0wE

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Zilla... Love "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown".Not only is "Fire" one of my favorite older songs,he also does a killer version (IMO) of Screamin'Jay Hawkins "I put a spell on you".I also liked that he wore a hat/cap with a ring of fire on it when he sang.How do you top that?

Here's a clip of Arthur Brown with Alice Cooper doing "Fire" in 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI6Ut8ww0wE

[/QUOTE]

Arthur Brown claimed that Deep Purple (the Ian Gillan version) borrowed heavily from him with the organ sound and the screams, and I think he may have been right about this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I remember hearing 'Fire' by Crazy World Of Arthur Brown on the AM radio as a kid. This song was just like so different from everything else out there in the late 60s. It wasn't until I saw a CD best of Crazy World of Arthur Brown in the 90s that I finally owned a copy of this song....Probably played it everyday for at least a week....brought back memories. I still pull it out and play it every so often.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Crazy World of Arthur Brown is way too influential on bands to come later to really have been forgotten about. There is another band from the 60's forgotten about in most circles but I will use that for a new thread.