The Man, the Myth: Dave Mathews (and Tim Reyholds) made it HAPPEN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The Man, the Myth: Dave Mathews (and Tim Reyholds) made it HAPPEN

I'm not qualified to benchmark a Dave Mathews / DMB live concert because I haven't seen enough of them; to put it right on the line, I saw Dave live for the first time last night.  

The myth weighing heavily on my mind: can DM live up to "all that" -- especially in a rare concert paired with his musical friend Tim Reynolds, and not with the DMB?

The concert not only did not disappoint, it EXCEEDED my expectations so far and away, I can't even describe how simply *happy* that concert made me feel, and how excellent,  truly excellent, it was.   We got a concert of over 2 FULL HOURS.   

I'm no expert, by any measure, but the guitar expertise of Tim Reynolds was mind blowing, it was so beautiful, including the way was able to ape his guitar into sounding like a violin.    Just had to laugh.    Amazing. 

I wasn't the least put off by the more quiet numbers, and one of the break out songs that I believe Dave said was sung in concert for the first time, was a John Denver song, "Take Me to Tomorrow".   Brilliant.  

I knew more songs that I thought I would, but there were many that I was not at all familiar with, but not even ONE that I didn't like, or would want to hear again.    Additionally, the songs were re-engineered / arranged to be played by just the two of them, Dave and Tim, so of the unfamiliar songs, I know what I heard would only be heard / sung / performed by just this formidable pair in concert, which made it even more special.  

It was magic, everybody.   It really was.   My friend just got an iPhone (I am so jealous) and she took a pic and posted it on FB during the concert (very bratty of her ... hahah), but I can also claim it for my own.   

Sorry, I drank all the Kool Aid.  You're going to have to go to a Dave concert yourself, if you're still among the uninitiated, just as I was a mere 24-hours ago, and get your own pitcher.  You may end up like me and drink the thing dry.   :)   

PS The Life Is Good Music Festival, where Dave and Tim appeared is a fantastic way to spend a day, or weekend.   This year, from what I understand, they raised another MILLION dollars for the LIG Foundation that helps kids in need of help with poverty, abuse and other issues.   GREAT cause.  And I have to admit, I'm not that into "feeling vibes" but there are vibes to be felt -- and it's all good.   Beautiful.   What's not to love?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: The Man, the Myth: Dave Mathews (and Tim Reyholds) made it HAPPEN

Glad you enjoyed it, yoga...!  We definitely shared some of the same vibes yesterday...  ;)

D&T were excellent...the first time for me seeing a full set, and they played one for the ages (though mileage may vary)...good mix of new blood, old faves, and a few surprises, as you mentioned.

"Broken Things" is brand-new, and I believe last night was its live debut (as Dave alluded to afterward).  "LIOG" was epic and a personal fave, as were "So Dam Lucky" and "Jimi Thing".  The John Denver cover was a honey-laced curveball.

I'm fully convinced that Tim Reynolds is an alien from another planet...like he has five arms all playing at once...and on acoustic...! (albeit augmented...if he's not at least technically a virtuoso, then I don't know who is....)

A great closer to a brilliant, just all-around FUN day.  Trombone Shorty & Co. raised the roof, as always; ALO and ATC had great sets (and found lots of new fans); Sharon Jones was soulful and deep; even the requisite folkster Stringdusters were off the charts.

Life Is Good really represents, for me, the gold standard for family entertainment, much less family-oriented concerts.  It's all about fun, with lots to do and play with, and some great music for the moms and dads.  They really do it right, and for a great cause, to boot...

Agreed 100%: "What's not to love?"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Thanks you both for the review. From what I read and heard, it was just an great weekend. I had to work, so I could not go, but I was anxious to hear the highlights, especially DMB and Reynolds. I know a few folks who attended with their kids and had a blast.

@Yoga- I share your sentiments on Sara Bareilles. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I was (and still am) speechless re: Dave and Tim.   The only thing I would have wished for is to be about 6'6" tall in that crowd.  :)     At one point, we got to move up b/c a couple left, but there was a stream of people trying to edge in.   A female tried to move in front of me (MID-WAY through the concert); when the song was over, I tapped her on the shoulder and nicely said "bye bye" and she walked away.   The others near by all laughed and we bonded.   :)

It was truly outstanding.  I am envious of anyone that could record that concert.  Above, since I can't edit, I meant to say there wasn't even one song that I would not want to hear again, not even one.    Sheer perfection; my face hurt from smiling.   Even the beer that flew onto my hoodie didn't matter.  

Let's put it this way: I bought the tee shirt.  :D

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

@Yoga- I share your sentiments on Sara Bareilles. 

Yeah, really?  She is so true, so genuine.  She is cut out of a different cloth, and I see her as very unique.   

What's more?  She is radiant.  She's as good as she is because she is beautiful from the inside out.  I believe her.   She doesn't have to "sell" it to me.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's put it this way: I bought the tee shirt.  :D

[/QUOTE]

A sure-fire sign of a satisfied attendee.  ;)

(I picked up a LE D&T poster myself.)

Incidentally, I read that Tim is going on a fall tour with his band, TR3, but the closest venue so far is in CT.

7. This post has been removed.