The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands

Dylan went from hardcore Folk/ protest.  To Rock (Where he got protested by his folk /protest fans;  that's kind of ironic). To Country.  To a harder Rock/Folk.  To Religious.  To Pop/ Protest.  To Old Guy Wining/Protest.

His voice changed all the time also.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands:
    [QUOTE]cavs - beck and jeff beck are two different people
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    Thanks.  I wondered about this. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Dylan went from hardcore Folk/ protest.  To Rock (Where he got protested by his folk /protest fans;  that's kind of ironic). To Country.  To a harder Rock/Folk.  To Religious.  To Pop/ Protest.  To Old Guy Wining/Protest. His voice changed all the time also.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]
    I like this post.  "Old Guy Wining/Protest".  LOL.  A lot of other good posts too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Call me crazy but I think Phish is a diverse rock band. Have you ever been to one of their shows - a pretty good mix of just about any good rock-n-roll. Try it, you'll like it! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Elvis Costello, for better or worse, has been very diverse in his career. He's dabbled in just about every genre of music, with mixed results, IMO. I'm a fan of his but i think he is better at "pop" music than any of the other genres and experiments he's venture out into. Diversity can be fine, but quite often an artist is best off staying in their special niche.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaggieOHooligan. Show MaggieOHooligan's posts

There is no one even to close to the Beatles in this category. And they did it all before turning 30.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JM0N. Show JM0N's posts

The Roots

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtubes412. Show mtubes412's posts

I realize that this band only had three studio albums, but I was always amazed the vareity of music that Sublime produced especially on their first studio album.  IMO Bradley Nowell showed incredible musical diversity from ska to thrash to rock to sounding like Aaron Neville. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]I realize that this band only had three studio albums, but I was always amazed the vareity of music that Sublime produced especially on their first studio album.  IMO Bradley Nowell showed incredible musical diversity from ska to thrash to rock to sounding like Aaron Neville. 
    Posted by mtubes412[/QUOTE]

i'll second that

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands : Stones, 1963-1978 I mean. Come on. Every single song in Beggar's Banquet was completely different. I mean they've got pop-rock, blues rock, straight up rock, folk/folk rock, countryish rock, and even a sort of blues/folk/rock song that turns into pop/soul with rock overtones and makes it work. And that's one album.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

When I saw this thread, I thought it was about artists that have done really diverse stuff, like Linda Ronstadt doing everything from pop-rock to operettas to Latin to classical to standards.   Groups that do different flavors of rock didn't come to mind as "diverse".

Others that come to mind are Jimmie Dale Gilmore who's done whole albums that are country, folk or rock.  Or even Paul Simon, who has tried a lot of flavors though those flavors all maintain a thread of Paul-Simon-ness (primarily through his lyrical style).  Or maybe k d lang, who is notable from going from true country to early rock to pop/dance to standards.

I think if you look at artists that have had songs appear on different charts, that's a good (or maybe good) measure of diversity.  Like Darius Rucker who was on the rock/pop charts with Hootie and the Blowfish, but is now a solo country act.  Or even Rod Stewart going from rock to standards. 

It is interesting to hear what people find to be diverse -- just shows how closely everyone who posts here listens to and appreciates their favorite music!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands : Quite. And judging by what I've read here, I'm guessing my musical tastes are more constricted than many here. I certainly don't know of anyone who has done a rock album, then a classical album, then a reggae album. Etc.

Actually Sinéad O'Connor has done just that (Ms Sandwich's post made me think of many artist whom I had forgotten had really explored way beyond the realm in which we associate them).  Sinéad First LPs where alt rock/pop Then she made a big band LP (and did a surprisingly good job with it).  She then fell off the face of the planet for about a decade and a half and then came back as the singer for Toots and The Maytals. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDhH9-qhEEk

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands : Stones, 1963-1978 I mean. Come on. Every single song in Beggar's Banquet was completely different. I mean they've got pop-rock, blues rock, straight up rock, folk/folk rock, countryish rock, and even a sort of blues/folk/rock song that turns into pop/soul with rock overtones and makes it work. And that's one album. Let alone their progression through all forms of awesomeness then known to rock and then some, within that period. The only thing they missed was writing Helter Skelter. And of course, there are further completely different songs in equally completely different albums in Let It Bleed, Exile on Main Street, It's Only Rock & Roll, Exile on Main Street. And don't they even hit up disco in Black & Blue? OR was it Emotional Rescue? The only thing they didn't do was death metal. Still, for the sake of honest, I have to give The Beatles an extremely close second. I mean. Sexie Sadie, Buffalo Bill, Helter Skelter, Yer Blues, and a nonsense song about British desserts in one album? Then again, to the chagrin of some, I regard Rev. No. 9 as a torrid musical d*uce. I'm willing to chalk it up to taste and call it a draw.

whoaaa, whoa, whoa, whoa.  the white album was hardly the start of the diversity.  it really started with revolver (some would even say rubber soul)...a sitar and  backwards tape loops on the same album...both the first time ever? eleanor rigby, the first beatles song without a guitar...got to get you into my life in the motown vein...thats starting off with a bang, i'd say.

i love the stones.  LOVE them.  they're a blues/rock band.  all styles that they play, and those that you mentioned, are based off that. they're a blues rock band, and they're the first people to say that.  not so whatsoever with the beatles.  all over the map.  now, this may be attributed to the fact that revolver was released on their last tour, and they subsequently became recording artists rather than performing musicians.  it allows for a lot more creativity and attention to detail.

not to mention that you mentioned a specific 15 year period, whereas the beatles' experimentation really only dates from '66-'70, and sort of tapered off at the end when they were collapsing. you could do a song by song analysis if you really wanted to see how truly diverse their catalogue became, and the different influences they were including.

the stones are 2nd in my book, and most people's books i would comfortably say. but thats based on diversity only, we are all free to be partial to the stones more if we wish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Spinal Tap

From-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BYzaDwNoE&feature=related

To-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfD-E9hKCWM

To-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzsWuqNlLK4

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands : Actually Sinéad O'Connor has done just that (Ms Sandwich's post made me think of many artist whom I had forgotten had really explored way beyond the realm in which we associate them).  Sinéad First LPs where alt rock/pop Then she made a big band LP (and did a surprisingly good job with it).  She then fell off the face of the planet for about a decade and a half and then came back as the singer for Toots and The Maytals.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDhH9-qhEEk
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Well, I know I'm pickin nits here, but the thread is about bands, not solo artists.   That's why I didn't originally mention Beck, so maybe I was too literal about the OP.  My bad.  But ...
    Solo artists seem to have more of an ability to do a change-up or even a sea change in their style, and succeed, and not lose their fan base.  But even then, they can be judged very harshly.  

Eddie Vedder playing the uke?  Uh.  Um.  :(    

I can't count the number of times (meaning: I've seen this more times than I can keep track of) fans being critical of a band that tries to take on a new or  "divergent" style or sound -- so it's very subjective as to whether it's even a plus or a minus.  

Maybe this is why it's easier for bands like the Stones, who have always been diverse, to maintain their popularity and enormous fan base.  Always been that way.  

Is being diverse the same as being innovative?  Not sure -- but it's certainly not the only way to be innovative.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE] Maybe this is why it's easier for bands like the Stones, who have always been diverse, to maintain their popularity and enormous fan base.  Always been that way.   Is being diverse the same as being innovative?  Not sure -- but it's certainly not the only way to be innovative.    
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

To me, diverse = wide-ranging, while innovative = new.

Clapton re-imagining Robert Johnson on "Crossroads" maybe wasn't innovative in itself, and yet the result was a greater, rock-oriented appreciation of the delta blues and Johnson's skills.

Clapton is/was an innovative player, and yet he sticks pretty much to the blues.  I wouldn't call him diverse in that sense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands : Quite. And judging by what I've read here, I'm guessing my musical tastes are more constricted than many here. I certainly don't know of anyone who has done a rock album, then a classical album, then a reggae album. Etc.

Uh, yeah, you do have your pets.   :D

I think you said something about "hybrid" sounds in another thread, and it seems like that's what most bands can achieve if they are trying a divergent sound or style.  A rock band might take on a jazz or country hybrid sound, but to go purely into another genre?   Not so sure.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands : Well, I know I'm pickin nits here, but the thread is about bands, not solo artists.   That's why I didn't originally mention Beck, so maybe I was too literal about the OP.  My bad.  But ... Solo artists seem to have more of an ability to do a change-up or even a sea change in their style, and succeed, and not lose their fan base.  But even then, they can be judged very harshly.   Eddie Vedder playing the uke?  Uh.  Um.  :(     I can't count the number of times (meaning: I've seen this more times than I can keep track of) fans being critical of a band that tries to take on a new or  "divergent" style or sound -- so it's very subjective as to whether it's even a plus or a minus.   Maybe this is why it's easier for bands like the Stones, who have always been diverse, to maintain their popularity and enormous fan base.  Always been that way.   Is being diverse the same as being innovative?  Not sure -- but it's certainly not the only way to be innovative.    

This is a very good point, yogafriend. -- Actually, two points  -- three, if I count the Eddie Vedder ukelele comment.  :)

Bands with divergent sounds are harder to identify, though one I can think of (please hold your rotten tomatoes!) is the BeeGees -- going from pop/rock to disco with the turn of one soundtrack.  I think one other reason why bands don't tend to diversify is because all or most of the members would have to agree on the change in direction.  And so many bands can't seem to agree on much of anything much less an artistic shift.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgauthier1975. Show mgauthier1975's posts

Faith No More

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands : Uh, yeah, you do have your pets.   :D I think you said something about "hybrid" sounds in another thread, and it seems like that's what most bands can achieve if they are trying a divergent sound or style.  A rock band might take on a jazz or country hybrid sound, but to go purely into another genre?   Not so sure.  

It's been done by the Beatles, Rolling Stones and others.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irp8CNj9qBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO6D_BAuYCI&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE&feature=relmfu

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

radiohead from OK Computer to Kid A is about as drastic as you can get.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JM0N. Show JM0N's posts

phsmith8,
    How about Radiohead's Pablo Honey to Kid A? Their material is all over the map and they should be lauded for taking enormous risks and concurrerntly being one of the best bands in the world.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yeah, i agree.  their entire discography from pablo honey to the king of limbs is quite an evolution to behold, especially now that it's been so long.  i only said ok computer to kid a because they were sequential albums, and the best example IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I wish to add XTC to the list

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

The Waterboys from "Whole of the Moon" ('80s alt/pop) to "Fisherman's Blues" (Celtic Rock)