The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands

You know: a band(s) that has recorded multiple styles.  How about Rolling Stones for slow ballads/love songs (Angie), wild sound (Satisfaction) and British hillbilly-blues rock (Dead Flowers).  There are probably other bands that are/were even more diverse.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands

Gotta put Queen up there that had no one style. Listen to Bo Rap, Another One Bites the Dust and Crazy Little Thing Called Love as examples.....if each album had 10 songs on it no two had the same sound or style.  The Beatle's too!

I believe the key to success and longevity is to NOT pigeon hole a bands sound (a la Police, Stray Cats, etc) you paint yourself into a corner and then you get Sting going solo and mixing up his sound and creating all kinds of musical flavors.

I know there are other band's out there that qualify as having a diverse sound, just can't think of all of them right now....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Zeppelin for sure.  The first two albums were not that diversified but with the third album they really expanded their repertoire and it just went from there.

Steve Earle, with his latest band the Dukes and Duchesses, is an amazingly diversified artist now.  Rock, country, folk, blues, Celtic, bluegrass...his band covers all those areas with ease.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Interesting question.My first instinct is to go with Neil Young.
      He's like a box of chocolates,you never know what you're going to get.But it'll be good no matter what it is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Flaming Lips.  They sound like nobody else, seem to like it that way and seldom repeat themselves.

More recently, My Morning Jacket has explored a tremendous range of styles...very tough to pin down into a category despite the obviousness of some of their influences.  Also, see British vets Gomez - who have multiple singers and writers and have never made the same album twice.

Talking Heads jumped around a lot over their career but still retained some elements of their earlier aesthetic...more of a progression than diversity, IMO.

Genesis is almost unrecognizable between their early, middle and later periods.

But the great shape-shifter for me is probably Bowie, for better or worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I would have to agree that David Bowie has done alot of diverse music.

I am going to throw Neil Young out there , too. He has done a 50's sounding LP by Neil Young and the Shocking Pinks. He has done some very country sounding LPs , Old Ways was one. He has done some almost Heavy Metal sounding harder rock, 'Like A Hurricane.' He has done the punk style with 'Rust Never Sleeps' and he has done some long songs reminiscent of Prog Rock with 'Cortez The Killer.' He also did an LP with electronic style music.

He does many politically charged songs, he has done some just for fun type songs and he has done some instrumentals.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

this is the obligatory ph mentions radiohead post...flaming lips are my other obvious choice

primus comes to mind as well, but not in the conventional sense...earlier muse was pretty diverse

i always thought incubus had a pretty wide spectrum as well.  this is my favorite of theirs, wayyyy different from anything else of theirs. 
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s8YK4R5qa0

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Really gang - no mention of the Beatles?

Edit - just saw that Slim mentioned them (Bless his soul)

Might I also mention ELP.

They were all over the place: Classical, Hard Rock, Ballads, Jazz, Ragtime, etc.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands:
    [QUOTE]I mentioned them!
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

Just saw that Slim. Got scared for a minute.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Zeppelin for sure. The first two albums were not that diversified but with the third album they really expanded their repertoire and it just went from there. ------------------ Bada bing! And like Jersey, I'd mention ELP too.  There's a whole lotta distance between Lucky Man, Karn Evil 9 and Pirates.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Jessey - not Jersey (I am a NYC boy, born and bred)

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Moby Grape on their debut album. Ballads, rockers, psychedelia, country, folk; they did it all on this great album. Too bad they couldn't sustain it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]Really gang - no mention of the Beatles? Edit - just saw that Slim mentioned them (Bless his soul) Might I also mention ELP. They were all over the place: Classical, Hard Rock, Ballads, Jazz, Ragtime, etc.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Huh? I mentioned them.....Undecided

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Beck.  He had the good fortune of being a solo artist with different people playing on his albums, but the changes from mellow gold to odelay to mutations to midnight vultures to sea change to guero...blues/noise rock/hip hop to groovy latin-rooted to falsetto-tinged funk to acoustic album and back again.

man, i think i just convinced myself to listen through all of them.  i believe there are more as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Beck.  He had the good fortune of being a solo artist with different people playing on his albums, but the changes from mellow gold to odelay to mutations to midnight vultures to sea change to guero...blues/noise rock/hip hop to groovy latin-rooted to falsetto-tinged funk to acoustic album and back again. man, i think i just convinced myself to listen through all of them.  i believe there are more as well.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Good call.

The man is nothing if not shifty...and which likely speaks to his being overlooked so often.

He seemingly can turn on a dime into any of the styles you mentioned...sometimes in the same song!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

This is a group that is so diverse, I'm not sure it fits under "rock bands", even though a lot of their stuff rocks:

Ozomatli

I was checking out this beautiful song of theirs today "Cuando Canto".  A lot of comments referred to this as a lullaby.  So I checked out some of their other tunes and "Como Vez" really jumps.  When I previewed one of their albums (Street Signs), I discovered that not only were half the songs in English and half in Spanish, but the song styles varied from rap to Asian-Indian, to cumbia -- all on the the same cd.  Not all of it is my taste, though one of the rap songs meshed the rap and the music really well.

Here's Cuando Canto:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0RDFZPEDo

Como Vez:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TtFaRtvR6g

They look like they would be awesome to see live, too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Beck.  He had the good fortune of being a solo artist with different people playing on his albums, but the changes from mellow gold to odelay to mutations to midnight vultures to sea change to guero...blues/noise rock/hip hop to groovy latin-rooted to falsetto-tinged funk to acoustic album and back again. man, i think i just convinced myself to listen through all of them.  i believe there are more as well.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Was thinking about Beck, too -- even though he's a solo artist, don't see why he can't be mentioned.   What's he up to?   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands : Was thinking about Beck, too -- even though he's a solo artist, don't see why he can't be mentioned.   What's he up to?   
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]
    According to Wikipedia, Jeff Beck has won three Grammys in the 2010's, two coming from his album, Emotion and Commotion.  He also has received two honorary degrees and a Fellowship from British Universities.  So he appears to be staying very active.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The group, Grass Roots did Pop (Bella Linda), R&B (Midnight Confessions) and a little protest (Lets Live For Today).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Most Diverse Sounding Rock Bands : According to Wikipedia, Jeff Beck has won three Grammys in the 2010's, two coming from his album, Emotion and Commotion .  He also has received two honorary degrees and a Fellowship from British Universities.  So he appears to be staying very active.
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Cavs.  

Beck puts the "art" in artist.   Maybe more depth in another thread.   He's been on the scene for a long time, and he's still relatively young.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think we can probably add in The Clash to this list.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

cavs - beck and jeff beck are two different people