The most famous, most recognizable first chord(s) in RnR songs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The most famous, most recognizable first chord(s) in RnR songs

Is it game over after "A Hard Day's Night"?    

Those "guess the song" contests that reveal the first chord only are often killers, but there are many RnR songs that have a first chord that is considered the song's signature.

What first chords belong in the mix?  

NOTE: One chord is preferable, but it's okay to give two or three (tops), if the song has merit.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: The most famous, most recognizable first chord(s) in RnR songs

I don't have a single one that comes to mind.

But I have always had a knack for naming a song with very few notes.

There used to be a show "NAME THAT TUNE" and I know I can name a bunch of Rock songs by just one note or chord.

I think the Pink Floyd song , 'Wish You Were Here' starts out with a very distinctive muted guitar strumming that is unmistakable. Does this count?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I would think Deep Purple's "Smoke on the water" is up there

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

E-EBG  first note of Roundabout by Yes? Not a chord(or is it), but instantly recognizable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Brown Sugar? Pinball Wizard?  Stairway to Heaven?  I'm not sure if you could nail them on the first chord alone or not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

One that I would always get is School Days by Stanley Clarke.  Definitely in 3 notes if not less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0YNehAz7FY&feature=related

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The most famous, most recognizable first chord(s) in RnR songs:
    [QUOTE]I would think Deep Purple's "Smoke on the water" is up there
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Zilla didn't get this one?  Wait til he sees it ... :D

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think I could get BOC's Godzilla on the first chord.  Not only from the chord itself but from the echo chamber effect on it.

Another one by BOC is E.T.I.  The first chord has a voice box effect which makes it identifiable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Satisfaction - one chord; two, no sweat

Dream On  -- one chord; two, no sweat    

Stairway on one?  I'll bet some people could do it, but on three?  Definitely.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Bo Diddley" - Bo Diddley

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Dear Prudence

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Here Comes Your Man by the Pixies.. Easy

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

a bunch of these mentioned are single note riffs to start off, it's a lot easier to recognize two single notes in progression than two chords for the most part...but there are a ton of opening chords that would be very easy to recognize by themselves, even if someone was playing it on their own guitar and not the real song.  i would recognize most songs by bands i spend a lot of time listening to.

a trivia night i go to has the very beginnings of songs, and some are harder but for the most part with a few well-read heads together we can figure them out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpongeBob50. Show SpongeBob50's posts

sweet home alabama

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Good Times, Bad Times" - Led Zep

It seems almost run-of-the-mill (is it?), and yet the volume, intensity and rawness of it that never escapes me.  Given that this is also the first chord of the first album of a legendary career, it also seems fitting.

Add:

"Beginnings" - Chicago (love that bass line four bars in, too...)

"House Of The Rising Sun" - Animals, et al.  (still like their version best)

"Roadrunner" - Modern Lovers  (not sure how recognizable, since most people never heard of them)

and a BIGGIE:

"Who Do You Love" - Bo Diddley, et al.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

re:  hard day's night, i believe he plays a G7sus4, but what makes it so great is the combination.  i believe paul plays a d on the 12th fret of his bass, and george plays an F note over it on acoustic.  mixed with ringo's cymbal at the same time, it's wonderful.  i think that the story goes that george martin played the chord with all of the correct notes on the piano, and they all played different parts of it because it would have been impossible for john to play all of the correct notes alone. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i believe man in the box is played in drop d, with an open d power chord but using a cry baby wah pedal...

...also the first chord of dear prudence, albeit fingerpicked and played descending down the fret...but the three notes from MITB are there.

i gotta say thanks WDYWN, when i was christmas shopping i bought an alice in chains double disc and havent taken it out of my car cd player for a while.  never gave them an in depth listen back in the day.  cantrell is so underrated as a songwriter/guitarist.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The most famous, most recognizable first chord(s) in RnR songs:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Mr Smith! 
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

Slim,
    Not sure if this will make the situation with the chord any better, but check this out:

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The most famous, most recognizable first chord(s) in RnR songs : Hey you're welcome. If you get any further into them I highly recommend their Live album.  I essentially stopped listening to the studio version of anything from that.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

AIC ruled - end of conversation. Don't want to hear nothing about Nirvana, Soundgarden or P.J.

And correct call on the live album. Amazing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]a bunch of these mentioned are single note riffs to start off, it's a lot easier to recognize two single notes in progression than two chords for the most part...but there are a ton of opening chords that would be very easy to recognize by themselves, 
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    Okay, I see your point (mine are single notes, ugh -- still, darn good, IMO) and I did say (see Slim's perception of my OP) "chords" but that's why I said that AHDN has one of the top, most recognized first chords, and is very hard to match, let alone top.  

You didn't name any songs yourself.  If there are a "ton" --- name a few.  Come on --  if it's so easy.   :P