The Night Old Levon Drove Down...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

The Night Old Levon Drove Down...

I know this is not a baseball-related post, but I thought people wouldn't mind sending some good energy outward in memory of one of the underappreciated musical greats....Levon Helm, who was the drummer for the Band before that group made its last waltz, passed away this morning at Memorial Sloane-Kettering hospital due to complications from cancer. While his soul has moved on to that other realm, the music he has helped make with other Band members and leaves behind is unforgettable, like this classic....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down...

R I P, Sir .......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down...:
    [QUOTE]I mean no disrespect to Levon Helm at all - AT ALL.  Nor to the posters posting about his death - they mean well.  But as most of the posts about Levon Helm are referencing songs written by Robbie Robertson and sung by RR.....it all seems very X-factor, celebrity-driven, faux upset BS to me.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]Here's one for you that Levon co-wrote with RR and sang. One of my faves. I already posted it in the music forum.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDnlU6rPfwY

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to The Night Old Levon Drove Down...:
    [QUOTE]I know this is not a baseball-related post, but I thought people wouldn't mind sending some good energy outward in memory of one of the underappreciated musical greats....Levon Helm, who was the drummer for the Band before that group made its last waltz, passed away this morning at Memorial Sloane-Kettering hospital due to complications from cancer. While his soul has moved on to that other realm, the music he has helped make with other Band members leaves behind is unforgettable, like this classic.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOi0tC00Luc
    Posted by teilhardian[/QUOTE]

What a band. One of my all time favorite groups. RIP Levon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down... : Actually Chilli - I think the posts referencing whatever songs they prefer by The Band is exactly what a band is about. Levon was one part of a band that made them so great. And now he is gone. There is zero X-Factor involved. That is what made the 60's & 70's so great. Paul, John and George all did great solo music, but when they were together with Ringo - they were pure magic.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]As were Robertson, Danko, Manuel, Hudson and Levon Helm.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]I mean no disrespect to Levon Helm at all - AT ALL.  Nor to the posters posting about his death - they mean well.  But as most of the posts about Levon Helm are referencing songs written by Robbie Robertson and sung by RR.....it all seems very X-factor, celebrity-driven, faux upset BS to me.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]
    I usually feel that way, chilli, too when people carried away with every passing celebrity death...My dad and brothers loved his music, and I guess the Band has a special place for me..I posted "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" because that was one of the memorable tunes he sang...I got to see some of Levon's musical post-Band stuff when I lived closer to Woodstock, and I enjoyed it a great deal....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

Via Con Dios Leon

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Actually Chilli - I think the posts referencing whatever songs they prefer by The Band is exactly what a band is about. Levon was one part of a band that made them so great. And now he is gone.

There is zero X-Factor involved. That is what made the 60's & 70's so great. Paul, John and George all did great solo music, but when they were together with Ringo - they were pure magic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to The Night Old Levon Drove Down...:
    [QUOTE]I know this is not a baseball-related post, but I thought people wouldn't mind sending some good energy outward in memory of one of the underappreciated musical greats....Levon Helm, who was the drummer for the Band before that group made its last waltz, passed away this morning at Memorial Sloane-Kettering hospital due to complications from cancer. While his soul has moved on to that other realm, the music he has helped make with other Band members and leaves behind is unforgettable, like this classic.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOi0tC00Luc
    Posted by teilhardian[/QUOTE]

teilhardian

About 4 years ago in the middle  of the winter I drove down to Woodstock it's an hour south and then 4-wheeled down a very icy bush lined narrow road in West Saugerties NY to number 56 Parnassus Lane to take some pictures of a house reknowned as "Big Pink". It sits off by itself lost in time unchanged from the album cover.

The recording studio of "The Band" and Bob Dylan later the album released named "Big Pink" with that house on the cover.

I lost my hard drive about 6 months ago unfortunately those pictures were on it, just did a search on some of the stuff I retained from that PC and those pictures from that day were not. I did want to share them.

So looks like another trip another day with the Nikon when I have the wanderlust. What an era of great music that was. The Band, Dylan, Van Morrison, Mountain just some of the groups that were living in the little area.

Thanks for remembering Levon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

The Band is one of my all time favorites, musicianship and creativity, what's not to like?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Weight is one of the top 5 songs ever. It is perfectly written and perfectly sung.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In response to "Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down...": [QUOTE]I mean no disrespect to Levon Helm at all - AT ALL.  Nor to the posters posting about his death - they mean well.  But as most of the posts about Levon Helm are referencing songs written by Robbie Robertson and sung by RR.....it all seems very X-factor, celebrity-driven, faux upset BS to me. Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE] RR sang a total of one song as a member of the Band -- "out of the blue" - that's it. One song.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

RIP Levon, one of the great drummers and singers to come out of the 60's and 70's. For my money the Band is one of the most underrated rock bands ever. Thank you for posting this teil, I was going to post Acadian Driftwood, but you beat me to it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The Night Old Levon Drove Down... : teilhardian About 4 years ago in the middle  of the winter I drove down to Woodstock it's an hour south and then 4-wheeled down a very icy bush lined narrow road in West Saugerties NY to number 56 Parnassus Lane to take some pictures of a house reknowned as "Big Pink". It sits off by itself lost in time unchanged from the album cover. The recording studio of "The Band" and Bob Dylan later the album released named "Big Pink" with that house on the cover. I lost my hard drive about 6 months ago unfortunately those pictures were on it, just did a search on some of the stuff I retained from that PC and those pictures from that day were not. I did want to share them. So looks like another trip another day with the Nikon when I have the wanderlust. What an era of great music that was. The Band, Dylan, Van Morrison, Mountain just some of the groups that were living in the little area. Thanks for remembering Levon.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]
    Thanks, TWM, and thanks Youk...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I mean no disrespect to Levon Helm at all - AT ALL.  Nor to the posters posting about his death - they mean well.  But as most of the posts about Levon Helm are referencing songs written by Robbie Robertson and sung by RR.....it all seems very X-factor, celebrity-driven, faux upset BS to me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Levon was a great musician with a lot of soul. He will be missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqIRFAbj0zg

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]The Weight is one of the top 5 songs ever. It is perfectly written and perfectly sung.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    One of my all time faves, also, jess.....Funny....just a few nights ago I posted "Acadian Driftwood" after Carnie told me he was part Acadian....For my money, that piece was one of the best historical musical laments ever done....Listening to it again got me into a Band listening mode the past week or so, and then I saw the Times article..God rest his soul...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down... : My post was WAY too strong, and I particularly regret the last paragraph referencing x-factor and faux upset. I stand by my pro-song writing bias, but otherwise it was nonsense. Apols to all.
    very much appreciated.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]used to catch the band when they were backing up Ronny Hawkins on the Yonge street strip many years ago.Buy a $1 beer and listen to some great tunes....hey "Maybalene" why can't you be true
    Posted by iamme17[/QUOTE]
    THAT is a great story. Would loved to have been there. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down... : My post was WAY too strong, and I particularly regret the last paragraph referencing x-factor and faux upset. I stand by my pro-song writing bias, but otherwise it was nonsense. Apols to all.

Thanks. It's like part of me died, I'll be listening to "The Last Waltz" as I work today.

And Robin Gibb has relapsed into a coma.

I guess you would have to be in your 60s to relate to all of this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In response to "Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down...": [QUOTE]I felt bad when Johnny Cash died and I will feel terrible when Willie Nelson is gone but doesn't this belong on the Music Forum? Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE] Sometimes when you feel bad about something, you can't categorize it.... You just feel bad. This is not so much about the music, but about a friend , or a feeling, or an affection that you,ve carried with you for decades .... And now it's changed, not just diminished, but changed for good. I know it's a baseball forum, but it just popped up, because it was there. .. Indulge us. Thank you!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bucky Dent. Show Bucky Dent's posts

Sung by RR?

Doubt it

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down... : Actually Chilli - I think the posts referencing whatever songs they prefer by The Band is exactly what a band is about. Levon was one part of a band that made them so great. And now he is gone. There is zero X-Factor involved. That is what made the 60's & 70's so great. Paul, John and George all did great solo music, but when they were together with Ringo - they were pure magic.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

My post was WAY too strong, and I particularly regret the last paragraph referencing x-factor and faux upset.

I stand by my pro-song writing bias, but otherwise it was nonsense.

Apols to all.