The Power Ballad Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Power Ballad Thread

Here it is, pursuant to our 'overplayed' topic.  Power ballads cross all genres and appeal to the best and worst in every music fan.  When you see a grown man weeping to "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", that's some emotionally resonant stuff.  

Tough and tender. Cheesy and sincere.  But when you're slow dancing in a high school gym, what more could you really ask for...?

So, let's find the good and bad and favorites.  What defines a power ballad?  Where did it start?  What are some more recent examples?  Can any slower-tempo rock song verge on ballad territory...?

Have at it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The Power Ballad Thread

One that you mentioned on the other thread was 'Still Loving You' by Scorpions.  I would concur, and I'll add two of them from their Lovedrive album: 'Always Somewhere' and 'Holiday'.  They are all excellent because they succeed at not being boring.

Scorpions have to be one of the masters of the power ballad. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

'Street of Dreams' - Rainbow

'Seasons of Wither' - Aerosmith - I'll dedicate that one to jesseyeric, I think he's a fan of that song.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think the "power ballad" is an attempt by record labels to make hard rock bands more radio friendly. It seemed to work for a while as 80s groups like Rainbow, Whitesnake and the Scorpions got more airplay and MTV exposure than Tony Iommi's Ozzieless Black Sabbath and Judas Priest...two bands who generally stayed away from what we might refer to as a "ballad."

I believe the power ballad was an attempt to sell Hard Rock and Metal to people who generally do not listen to music of this genre.

Thus, we get ( what I like to call) Hard Rock pretenders. Bands that offer lightweight music in the guise of "heavy" or "hard" rock. I am talking about Bon Jovi and REO Speedwagon. While not totally useless music , it is more radio friendly and lacks the aggressive nature we usually attribute to Hard and HEAVY Rock. I think Aerosmith stinks when they do power balllads and were at their best in the 70s with Back In The Saddle and those great hits ( although , you could call Dream On an early power ballad, we never used that term back in those days...but that is surely a classic).

I mostly stay away from the 80s groups that recorded too many power ballads, but many groups threw one or two in per album and if you are talking about bands like the Scorpions, they did some really good ones.

Alone Again by Dokken is a favorite.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Power ballads were never really my thing.That being said,here's a few "power ballads" that I think don't totally suck:

Def Leppard - Bringing on the heartbreak

Motley Crue - Home sweet home

Poison - Every rose has it's thorns 

Ozzie and Lita Ford - Close my eyes forever 

Nazareth - Love Hurts

Badfinger - Day after day 

Metallica - Nothing else matters

GnR - Don't cry

HFX : +1 for Aerosmith's "Seasons of wither"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Question to the forum: 

Is "Stairway To Heaven" a power ballad...?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ozzie and Lita Ford - Close my eyes forever 

[/QUOTE]

This is a textbook example, IMO...and still a damm fine song.

Ditto "Love Hurts".  I still love the Emmylou Harris / Gram Parsons version (heart-wrenching), but Nazareth really made it their own.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Question to the forum: 

Yes -- I'm changing my vote.  It's a ballad, not a power ballad.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Question to the forum: 

[/QUOTE]

No.

I would say it is a close cousin to Progressive Rock.

Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple always got categorized as Heavy Metal bands, but were more ike Heavy Prog. Ditto Jethro Tull.

Zeppelin,Tull and Deep Purple were able to play softer passages and build to a thunderous roar , much like Classical music sometimes does. Stairway has loud part and quiet parts to it....it is alot like Purple's 'Child In Time.'

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

This is definitely JE's territory.   Maybe he'll drop by.  

Some of the old standby power ballads drive many people (such as Matty) over the edge.   They're fun, they fit a certain template, and they're surprisingly timeless, regardless.    "I Want to Know What Love Is" or "Open Arms"   -- what's wrong with them?   =)

One of my favorites has already been mentioned, "Love Hurts."   

"All By Myself"  - another classic.   

"Love Song" by Tesla (this is one of JE's favorites) - probably one of my all-time favorites, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2q_-xN2N54

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Not a big fan of the style, but a few that I've always liked spring to mind - interestingly they all come from the mid 80's-mid 90's...

Alone - Heart

She Talks to Angels - Black Crowes

Lightning Crashes - Live

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Don't Know What You Got (Til It's Gone)  - Cinderella    (another classic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ

Regardless how you feel about the genre, these are not necessarily songs that are easy to sing.    Covering a power ballad can be very risky.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is definitely JE's territory.   Maybe he'll drop by.  

Some of the old standby power ballads drive many people (such as Matty) over the edge.   They're fun, they fit a certain template, and they're surprisingly timeless, regardless.    "I Want to Know What Love Is" or "Open Arms"   -- what's wrong with them?   =)

[/QUOTE]

Heh.  The difference between sap and maple syrup is several hours of boiling.  Which is to say that sugary can get too sweet, too fast.

I'd compare "Open Arms" with "Faithfully" and say that, though I really don't like either, the latter goes right to the edge but resists the desire to jump.  The former jumps in with both feet.

"IWTKWLI" is just incredibly overwrought and way too full of itself.  Same with "ICFTFAM".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Cheap Trick - The Flame

Bob Segar - Night Moves

Heart - Alone

GNR - November Rain

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Add:

Metallica - Fade To Black

Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Peter Gabriel/Kate Bush - Don't Give Up   (the live version with Paula Cole is excellent, too)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cheap Trick - The Flame

Bob Segar - Night Moves

Heart - Alone

GNR - November Rain

[/QUOTE]

Night Moves a power ballad? Interesting. I always saw it as a fantastic rock song that was just acoustic.  One of the great Seger gems.

[/QUOTE]

Yah I kinda thought that after I posted it......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Cinderella - Don't know what you got.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I actually love power ballads.

Some of my favorites have already been mentioned (Still Lovin' You, Every Rose Has Its Thorn, November Rain)

Others:

"These Dreams" -- Heart

"Winds of Change" -- Scorpions

"(I Just) Died in Your Arms" -- "Cutting Crew

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Aerosmith - Home Tonight

Black Sabbath - Changes

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yeah, yeah these are all great!  80's music kicked @ss! 

Add to the list...

Home Sweet Home - Motle Crue

Don't Close Your Eyes - Kix

Okay, time to have some fun guys... Please tell me you have heard of the group Steel Panther?  These guys are a riot, they are a Parady 80's hair band, If you love the 80's then these guys will crack you up!  Takes sex, drugs, Rock n Roll to a new level, lmao!! Check them out.

Warning.. If you get offended easily then don't hit the links.

Song - Stripper Girl check it here Link

Song - Community Property check it here Link

Cuba Gooding Jr. joins Steel Panther on stage rocking to Journey Link