The Songs You Hate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Re: The Songs You Hate

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate:
    I pretty much dislike everything by Rage Against the Machine. For some reason, their music and I did not get along.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I dislike them immensly also. But I do really like Audioslave, which is 3/4 of Rage with Chris Cornell instead of Zack whatever his name is. The vocals can make all the difference in the world. Too bad Audioslave is no more...apparently due in part to a Rage reunion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Zack was the Great Pretender.

Now I don't want to sound anti-American or anything like that, but I have to say that the song McCartney wrote after 9-11 is just f'n horrible.

FREEDOM - this is a bad song.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : +1 ... just glad this one didn't make an appearance on the summer playlist thread!  It did show up as the "song of the week" in my office a while back.  I was psyched that someone had chosen Zevon, only to end up running away screaming with hands over ears ...
    Posted by gerbs

I can not begin to count the number of times I made that very same mistake myself at work, when for some reason the "classic" rock stations picked this putrid piece of musical waste up and ran with it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, this could be a very long list if I was to think about it for very long . . . but then again, "hate" is a pretty strong word, and right now, the song that leaps to mind is that one by Kid Rock that isn't Werewolves of London or Sweet Home Alabama . I don't know the name of it, but I can honestly say that I hate that song.
    Posted by p-mike

I didn't know that crappy song was by Kid Rock till now...now I really hate it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : I didn't know that crappy song was by Kid Rock till now...now I really hate it.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I still don't know what song we're talking about here...did I miss something? The only Kid Rock I know besides his Sweet Home Alabama cover is Cowboy. Didn't know he did Werewolves of London but I'm fairly certain I don't want to hear it. I'm also not a fan of hip hop or whatever category he falls into, but I did happen to see him playing with Sheryl Crow and Keith Urban doing Lean on Me for that Haitian Relief concert and it was pretty good. Or at least better than I would have expected, his voice isn't bad when he actually sings.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

That horrible song by the Cranberries where the girl singer yodels or whatever she does ( it ain't singing!!!)
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zombie by the Cranberries might be the song you mean ... it's horrible!!

Also,  the Pet Shop Boys are brilliant ... no, they don't mix with heavy metal (!!!), but if you have varied taste, that's to your credit. 

Another really horrible song:  China Girl - David Bowie  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate :  That horrible song by the Cranberries where the girl singer yodels or whatever she does ( it ain't singing!!!) Posted by ZILLAGOD
    Zombie by the Cranberries might be the song you mean ... it's horrible!! Also,  the Pet Shop Boys are brilliant ... no, they don't mix with heavy metal (!!!), but if you have varied taste, that's to your credit.  Another really horrible song:  China Girl - David Bowie  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Agreed - China Girl is not one of my fav Bowie tracks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Posted by jesseyeric

Not mine either, but IIRC that song, or maybe it was the Let's Dance album as a whole put Stevie Ray on the map.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : I still don't know what song we're talking about here...did I miss something? The only Kid Rock I know besides his Sweet Home Alabama cover is Cowboy.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

I just looked it up and the song is called 'All Summer Long'...it's either a fond tribute to Sweet Home Alabama or a cheesy ripoff of it, however you look at it...I'm going with the latter.  Most of the the melody is directly lifted from SHA.  Here's part of the lyrics:

And we were trying different things
    We were smoking funny things
    Making love out by the lake to our favorite song
    Sipping whiskey out the bottle, not thinking 'bout tomorrow
    Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : I just looked it up and the song is called 'All Summer Long'...it's either a fond tribute to Sweet Home Alabama or a cheesy ripoff of it, however you look at it...I'm going with the latter.  Most of the the melody is directly lifted from SHA.  Here's part of the lyrics: And we were trying different things We were smoking funny things Making love out by the lake to our favorite song Sipping whiskey out the bottle, not thinking 'bout tomorrow Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

It is an ode to L.S. and that generation. Kid Rock is a huge fan of theirs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

As I got in the shower this afternoon, "Addicted to Love" came on the shower radio. I nearly whiped out trying frantically to change the station.
    Also, as much as I like Clapton, I freakin' hate "Cocaine."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : It is an ode to L.S. and that generation. Kid Rock is a huge fan of theirs.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Thanks to both of you for clearing that up. I forsee another topic in the future here...cover tunes that aren't, and the use of sampling classic rock in pop music. What bothers me about this one is that Kid Rock probably made more money with that one song than Skynyrd has over 35 years. I hope I'm wrong. Werewolves is of course the same chord progression...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : Thanks to both of you for clearing that up. I forsee another topic in the future here...cover tunes that aren't, and the use of sampling classic rock in pop music. What bothers me about this one is that Kid Rock probably made more money with that one song than Skynyrd has over 35 years. I hope I'm wrong. Werewolves is of course the same chord progression...  
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

Music in a way has always been about ripping someone else off. I remember the first time I heard Shania Twain's "Feel Like A Woman", on some music awards show. I racked my brain for a minute or two because it sounded so familiar. Then it hit me - Uncle Salty by Aerosmith.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It took me a while to figure out where I'd heard the guitar riff in 'La Grange'  before.  Finally I realized I'd heard it in two other songs-'On the Road Again' by Canned Heat, and 'Spirit in the Sky' by Norman Greenbaum.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : Music in a way has always been about ripping someone else off. I remember the first time I heard Shania Twain's "Feel Like A Woman", on some music awards show. I racked my brain for a minute or two because it sounded so familiar. Then it hit me - Uncle Salty by Aerosmith.
    Posted by jesseyeric

That's no accident, Mutt Lange is credited as co-author of Feel Like a Woman. But I guess it's different "enough" that it didn't warrant a lawsuit. Makes me think back to "Ice Ice Baby" (add this to my Hate list ;), when Vanilla Ice claimed he didn't rip off Under Pressure by Queen/Bowie. Yeah, sure. I don't remember what became of that, and I see nothing wrong with borrowing ideas, but give credit when deserved. Of course there is lots of overlap in music, especially pop -- there are only so many ways you can combine three chords. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, and in some cases, covers are better than the originals. And yes, as time goes by it gets harder and harder to come up with original ideas, clearly most rampant in pop music. So, does Skynyrd deserve royalties for All Summer Long? Or is the nod of recognition enough? I guess it depends on the original authors, or their record contract...

Once again I am straying from the original topic...but add copyright infringment to my previous suggestion for another discussion on covers and sampling.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Hotel California - I hate it the worst of any song in the world
    You Look Wonderful Tonight/Clapton - could it be any draggier
    Pretty much anything by Tom Petty except "American Girl" (they all sound the same)
    Anything Fleetwood Mac involving Buckingham/Nicks. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Hotel California - I hate it the worst of any song in the world You Look Wonderful Tonight/Clapton - could it be any draggier Pretty much anything by Tom Petty except "American Girl" (they all sound the same) Anything Fleetwood Mac involving Buckingham/Nicks. 
    Posted by cosmogirl

I can see we would have many arguments if we ever met.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Disagree totally!  I think we have much more in common than difference! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : Zombie by the Cranberries might be the song you mean ... it's horrible!! Also,  the Pet Shop Boys are brilliant ... no, they don't mix with heavy metal (!!!), but if you have varied taste, that's to your credit.  Another really horrible song:  China Girl - David Bowie   Posted by yogafriend
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you prefer the Iggy Pop version?

I am not sure what is not to like about many of the songs listed here, Cocaine ( not the pro-drugs song everyone thinks it is but more of a warning to the listener... it is a cover of a J.J.Cale original), China Girl features some great vocal by Bowie and some hot licks from SRV. "We Built this City" is a very "over the top pop" song which I think many of the old Jefferson Airplane/Starship fans don't want to be associated with, but it isn't really "choke on your own vomit" horrible, but certainly not one of their best.

What I dislike about the Kid Rock song is it basically is not so much a cover as a direct rip-off...I guess these days they refer to this as a "tribute".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Disagree totally!  I think we have much more in common than difference! 
    Posted by cosmogirl

Well, of course I exaggerate.

My friend and co-worker ( we'll call him Chuck, because that's his name and you folks don't know him anyway) is a knucklehead Yankees fan born in Queens, NYC. We share a great love of zany comedy , John Belushi, the Jerky Boys, The 3 Stooges and Rodney Dangerfield etc...oddly enough he doesn't like Woody Allen ( perhaps too complicated for his New York brain, LOL). We argue about sports all the time and he says I know nothing about baseball in particular.

But Chuck also loves Eric Clapton, the Stones and the Who...so as we've seen with our own jesseyeric...there is hope for anyone, even Yankees fans!!!

If you don't like more top 40 Fleetwood Mac of the 70's and 80's , surely you like the original Peter Green and Danny Kirwin line-up that was possibly ( other than Ten Years After) the best Blues band from England?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Sweet Caroline, Bye Bye Miss American Pie,

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sweet Caroline, Bye Bye Miss American Pie,
    Posted by leafswin27

I think 'American Pie' along with probably 'Stairway to Heaven' and maybe 'Hotel California' is one of those songs that would show up on a lot of lists of alltime greatest songs.  But it would also show op on a lot of lists of most hated, most boring etc....which probably has a lot to do with those songs being played to death on the radio.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I love the original "Bare Trees" Fleetwood Mac.  Ten Years After?  Check! 
    Along with Savoy Brown and Spencer Davis. 

I know he's from the U.S., but Jimi might be the best blues band out of England! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

"Sweet Caroline"!  Thank you leafswin!  I thought I was the only person in the world....

"She's Got a Way"--Billy Joel.  I'm actually a fan but I detest that song. 

Dislike all things by The Supremes. (Except for "Reflections".  I could listen to that all day!) 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

"American Pie" - so bad, it makes me want to emigrate.
    "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - this must be what they play in hell

"Come to My Window" - ...and throw me out of it
    "Drive" - The Cars - Great band, terrible song
    "Invisible Touch" - Genesis ('nuff said)
    "Jeremy - Pearl Jam - again, great band, terrible song

Anything by Goo Goo Dolls, Gin Blossoms, Creed, Nickleback, and most of "sober" Aerosmith.