The Songs You Hate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Re: The Songs You Hate

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate:
                    I love the Beatles but they did a poor rendition of "Shout" on one of their early albums. I'm not talking about "Twist and Shout" but the song: "Shout" that was made a hit by the Isely Brothers and also popularized by Otis Day and the Knights in the "Animal House" movie. The Beatles had very high standards, so it amazed me they would include a below average arrangement even in an album. I like the song "Shout" when it is performed the right way. All of this is only my opinion, someone else may hear things differently.                                                    
    Posted by cavaliersfan
            I retract, partially, what I said above. After not hearing the Beatles do their rendition of Shout for many decades I went on You Tube and listened to 2 or 3 different performances. Now I think they did a credible job. Even though they left out some parts of the original arrangement, the tones and harmonies of the vocals and instrumentation were very good. Also they played the song with good feeling. It's funny how musical tastes can change over a number of years. When I was younger I did not like Jim Croce but now I do like most of his music. I still do not like: "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown". 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Anybody who wants to throw stones at the Beatles and Def Leppard needs to listen to the 70 's or 80's Beatles rip-off attempts that failed miserably.

Namely the Bay City Rollers and the Knack.

They both hit it big with songs 'Saturday Night' and 'My Sharona'

Two of the all-time most annoying songs you'll ever hear. If played repeatedly , these two songs have been proven to cause insane reactions in laboratory mice or middle class white American males ( like me).

Def Leppard is pure genius when compared to these groups and the Beatles are Gods when compared to anyone else in 1963.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Anybody who wants to throw stones at the Beatles and Def Leppard needs to listen to the 70 's or 80's Beatles rip-off attempts that failed miserably. Namely the Bay City Rollers and the Knack. They both hit it big with songs 'Saturday Night' and 'My Sharona' Two of the all-time most annoying songs you'll ever hear. If played repeatedly , these two songs have been proven to cause insane reactions in laboratory mice or middle class white American males ( like me). Def Leppard is pure genius when compared to these groups and the Beatles are Gods when compared to anyone else in 1963.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Thanks a lot Z. You had to bring up "My Sharona." I thought I finally successfully blocked that song out of my head. I truly hate that song.

Oh god, now that beat is playing in my head. Thanks a whole hellavalot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate :         I retract, partially, what I said above. After not hearing the Beatles do their rendition of Shout for many decades I went on You Tube and listened to 2 or 3 different performances. Now I think they did a credible job. Even though they left out some parts of the original arrangement, the tones and harmonies of the vocals and instrumentation were very good. Also they played the song with good feeling. It's funny how musical tastes can change over a number of years. When I was younger I did not like Jim Croce but now I do like most of his music. I still do not like: "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown". 
    Posted by cavaliersfan

Bad, Bad Leroy Brown is Croce's worst song.

It is kind of like Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark.

W-T-F were they thinking?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : Thanks a lot Z. You had to bring up "My Sharona." I thought I finally successfully blocked that song out of my head. I truly hate that song. Oh god, now that beat is playing in my head. Thanks a whole hellavalot.
    Posted by royf19

If it makes you feel any better the lead singer of the group recently passed away.

So there will be no more reunions.

Sorry, that was kind of cruel. Honestly I had the first two albums by the Knack ( I think I bought the first one,I know I pirated the second off radio for free - don't tell anyone!!!)....they kind of hooked you with the sound then as you played it over and over  you just knew you made a mistake. But as surprisingly as this might be to you mortal men, I was young and foolish back around the late 70's. But I got smart and started listening to The Smiths, XTC and the Hoodoo Gurus and threw my Knack tapes away.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I was in the eighth grade when The Knack were big. My Sharona was a song I actually liked at first then was so overplayed that now, it's like fingers on a chalkboard. And I can remember when The Knack were supposed to be the next Beatles. I knew cr@p aobut music then but even then I knew that was a joke.

About other posts:
    I don't mind Jim Croce's Bad LeRoy Brown. Not my favorite song of his, but is's OK. I was in a big singer-songwriter phase this one year or so in college and was listening to a lot of Croce, Harry Nillson, Harry Chapin and Cat Stevens. Love their stuff even today.

On The Beatles, two things. To really appreciate them fully understand their impact, you have to understand what the music industry was like and especially see how their music changed and grew throughout the 1960s. You can see their impact making the album important, which really ushered in a new era of rock, as well as making bands more complete as their own songwriters and playing their own instruments instead of being simpy the creation of some record producer. Other groups like Buddy Holly, the BEach Boys, The Stones and The Who were also important, but The Beatles were at the vanguard of it all.

Some of their stuff does sound dated  but a lot of it is timeless (and even the dated stuff is great.) There are some Beatles songs -- most anything with the sitar -- that might rank on my list of most hated. And if I were to list my top 25 songs, there might be just one Beatles song. But at some point on the list of favorites, there will be a whole bunch of Beatles song all clumped together.

Sorry for the threadjack.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

"Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes. Or damn near anything by Yes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ashleykate. Show Ashleykate's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : Are you the anti-Christ Ashleykate? RIP Bon   AC/DC is everything good old fashioned, hip swaying, arms flaying, lil boys playing, lil girls saying, heart aching & teen hormones baying Rock and Roll should be.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I don't consider myself to be the anti-Christ.  I was born on Christmas Eve, though, and until I disappointed her with my inability to perfectly follow every single rule of the Catholic church, I think my grandmother thought I might have been the second coming.  No wonder I turned into a dispassionate, cynical, mostly-atheist.

I think I'm younger than you, and that probably plays a part in my tendency towards the 90's and alternative rock.  I never wanted to be a person who said this, but I'm starting to think that there hasn't been any good music since I was in college.  My ipod has only a few songs from the last 10 years, and most of those are ones I like today but will lose interest in eventually. 

Tonight's losers:
    Journey
    Anything released by a grunge-era band after breakups, rehab, and makeups (think STP's awful new single)
    solo Ozzy (the arrogant lyrics bother me again here)
    and of course, AC/DC

:)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

"Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes. Or damn near anything by Yes.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Agree. Not a big Yes fan. Don't like the vocals. 

On that note, most anything by U2, The Police (Sting). Both (or all three including Sting's solo stuff) are very talented, but I simply can't stand the sound of the vocals.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Pretty much anything by Pink Floyd has me reaching for the dial for a new station. Ditto for an Aerosmith ballad.

And anything I've heard a thousand times already.  An artist like Van Morrison has an extensive catalogue going back 40 years,  yet a visitor from outer space listening in would think the guy only knows 3 songs.   I can change the station in 2 notes when 'Brown Eyed Girl' comes on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Pretty much anything by Pink Floyd has me reaching for the dial for a new station. Ditto for an Aerosmith ballad. And anything I've heard a thousand times already.  An artist like Van Morrison has an extensive catalogue going back 40 years,  yet a visitor from outer space listening in would think the guy only knows 3 songs.   I can change the station in 2 notes when 'Brown Eyed Girl' comes on.
    Posted by SlimPickensII

This is a very good point.

Van Morrison is awesome, but I can no longer abide Moondance or Brown-Eyed Girl.

This is what I call "Stairway to Heaven Syndrome," outlined in greater detail in the  "Songs That Have Been Done to Death" (or something like that) thread.

Oddly enough, I hated Wavelength when it came out and was all over the radio -- but I love it now.

Foot in mouth

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sheesh!!

Two people don't like Yes.

One doesn't like Pink Floyd.

And the non-anti Christ person doesn't like Ozzy or AC/DC.

This is Rock'n'Roll treason. I sentence the offenders to listen to KC and the Sunshine Band for 10 hours in a row or until you start singing "Roundabout" or "Another Brick in the Wall" without a lyric sheet in front of you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : This is a very good point. Van Morrison is awesome, but I can no longer abide Moondance or Brown-Eyed Girl . This is what I call "Stairway to Heaven Syndrome," outlined in greater detail in the  "Songs That Have Been Done to Death" (or something like that) thread. Oddly enough, I hated Wavelength when it came out and was all over the radio -- but I love it now.
    Posted by p-mike

I was just talking to a friend at work about this the other day. I'll still listen to Classic Rock stations but I'm more apt now to make sure I have some CDs with me or listen to sports talk because only the same handful of songs for every group/artist are played.

I used to love "Carry on My Wayward Son" but it's overplayed and is the only Kansas song you hear. Kansas has some great songs that you never hear. For Pat Benatar, they only play "Heartbreaker." For Heart, it's "Magic Man" and "Crazy on You" and sometimes "Barracuda", etc.

It's like that will every group/artist. They just don't play the variety you used to hear from these stations back when they were called Album Rock stations.

Even Pink Floyd and Led Zep, they seem to play the same few songs, except with Led Zep, the Classic Rock stations around here will play a Zeppelin block around 10 p.m. and at least then you will hear deep cuts.

I don't really understand it because I think most of the people who listen to these stations would want to hear deeper cuts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Yet more (so much to hate, so little time...) musical d-baggery:

Counting Blue Cars - Dishwalla
    Closing Time - Semisonic
    Hanging by a Moment - Lifehouse
    Everything You Want - Vertical Horizon
    If You Can Only See - Tonic
    Missing You - John Waite

Anything by Train, Toad The Wet Sprocket, or Live (so very bad for you...)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Sheesh!! Two people don't like Yes. One doesn't like Pink Floyd. And the non-anti Christ person doesn't like Ozzy or AC/DC. This is Rock'n'Roll treason. I sentence the offenders to listen to KC and the Sunshine Band for 10 hours in a row or until you start singing "Roundabout" or "Another Brick in the Wall" without a lyric sheet in front of you.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Better make that three who don't like Yes.  Sorry Z, but their pap barely qualifies as rock to my ears so I didn't think I needed to mention them in my earlier post.  And Ozzy *does* rock.  If you're 12 years old. 

Listening to even 30 minutes of Roundabout or Brick would kill me. I'd go down in a blaze of gunfire before I let you take me in for that.   Plus this is still America and I'm sure that's considered cruel and unusual punishment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : I was just talking to a friend at work about this the other day. I'll still listen to Classic Rock stations but I'm more apt now to make sure I have some CDs with me or listen to sports talk because only the same handful of songs for every group/artist are played. I used to love "Carry on My Wayward Son" but it's overplayed and is the only Kansas song you hear. Kansas has some great songs that you never hear. For Pat Benatar, they only play "Heartbreaker." For Heart, it's "Magic Man" and "Crazy on You" and sometimes "Barracuda", etc. It's like that will every group/artist. They just don't play the variety you used to hear from these stations back when they were called Album Rock stations. Even Pink Floyd and Led Zep, they seem to play the same few songs, except with Led Zep, the Classic Rock stations around here will play a Zeppelin block around 10 p.m. and at least then you will hear deep cuts. I don't really understand it because I think most of the people who listen to these stations would want to hear deeper cuts.
    Posted by royf19

I feel your pain, bro...(I aired the same sentiments re: Lynyrd Skynyrd.) ... especially with the advent of satellite radio, which has much more logical genre divisions and you can actually hear deep tracks, live cuts, etc.

My question, too, has always been this:  if it's Classic Rock, then why have they been playing the same music for the past 10-15 years?  Wouldn't you think the playlists would get updated every now and then??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yet more (so much to hate, so little time...) musical d-baggery: Counting Blue Cars - Dishwalla Closing Time - Semisonic Hanging by a Moment - Lifehouse Everything You Want - Vertical Horizon If You Can Only See - Tonic Missing You - John Waite Anything by Train, Toad The Wet Sprocket, or Live (so very bad for you...)
    Posted by Mattyhorn

For some strange reason, I really like that song. I think the line "tell me all your thoughts on God, cause I really like to meet her" just sits with me in a good way.

I always figured that if there is a God, it is a she and she is hot!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Sheesh!! Two people don't like Yes. One doesn't like Pink Floyd. And the non-anti Christ person doesn't like Ozzy or AC/DC. This is Rock'n'Roll treason. I sentence the offenders to listen to KC and the Sunshine Band for 10 hours in a row or until you start singing "Roundabout" or "Another Brick in the Wall" without a lyric sheet in front of you.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Zil, I will take that punishment as I enjoy KC and the Sunshine Band. I do like some Pink Floyd, and Yes as well, but I think I would rather listen to disco than most of Floyd or Yes.

Let me explain. Pink Floyd, starting with their classic Dark Side of the Moon, is very depressing stuff. Do I really need (or want) to be constantly reminded that life is short and painful and ultimately meaningless? I go to work every day to get that feeling. As for Yes, at least their lyrics don't amount to much. But their pretensions are second to none. Mixing classical riffs with rock riffs and adding in obscure lyrics does not automatically make you progressive.

Yes, I would rather be exhorted to shake my bootie and told that that's the way I like it uh huh uh huh uh huh. It's more fun.Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Posted by ZILLAGOD

I'm sorry, while Pink Floyd does rule (probably my third all-time favorite band), I loathe Yes. That girl's vocals are awful. (Kidding ... I know it's not a girl).
    The "Overkill Songs" would be a good thread ... if it's not  been done before.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Seriously, does anybody have any idea how the bubblegum song: "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy I Have Love In My Tummy" could have become a hit ?????   Not one of my favorite songs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Seriously, does anybody have any idea how the bubblegum song: "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy I Have Love In My Tummy" could have become a hit ?????   Not one of my favorite songs.
    Posted by cavaliersfan

There are about 16 people still alive that loved that song.

They are all in insane asylums.

Seriously, I think the era has a lot to do with it. I was around 12 years old when that song was released as a single. Back in those days there were these little vinyl records with a big hole in the middle called 45's. They retailed for around 80 cents each in the early 70's. I had about 30 or 40 of them ( not this song , though). A song like that appealed to youngsters (7-10 yr. olds) which may account for the sales , which was the basis for how a song got into the top 40.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

How to win enemies and influence mob reactions:

um..... Stairway to Heaven ...... 

Hate is a strong word, but dislike intensely will work. 

....sigh.......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : I was just talking to a friend at work about this the other day. I'll still listen to Classic Rock stations but I'm more apt now to make sure I have some CDs with me or listen to sports talk because only the same handful of songs for every group/artist are played. I used to love "Carry on My Wayward Son" but it's overplayed and is the only Kansas song you hear. Kansas has some great songs that you never hear. For Pat Benatar, they only play "Heartbreaker." For Heart, it's "Magic Man" and "Crazy on You" and sometimes "Barracuda", etc. It's like that will every group/artist. They just don't play the variety you used to hear from these stations back when they were called Album Rock stations. Even Pink Floyd and Led Zep, they seem to play the same few songs, except with Led Zep, the Classic Rock stations around here will play a Zeppelin block around 10 p.m. and at least then you will hear deep cuts. I don't really understand it because I think most of the people who listen to these stations would want to hear deeper cuts.
    Posted by royf19

Classic rock stations are just background music for people who are working on a computer or contractors and painters to play on the Dewalt radio (when the generator and compressor aren't running they can actually hear it). Nobody listens to radio intently anymore, it is a bygone media , it exists only as a calming source of something familiar that won't distract peolple from a job while local used car dealers and insurance companies throw in the 20 minutes or more of commercials every hour.

I saw this coming many years ago and started  a massive collection of my favorite CD's. Now when I want to listen to good classic rock , I do not depend upon some programmer to play what I want to hear, I use the program mode on the CD changer and "program" my own. Sometimes I listen to complete albums , sometimes not.

Life is great , I don't need radio anymore. I haven't needed it for about 20 years.

The advertisers and programmers call the shots, play music that is not familiar to the audience or is too "radical" and they pull out. There are no real DJ's anymore, just robots. It stinks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Some bang-on observations about radio, folks.  I'll just add one thing that might be amusing to zillagod.  I have 2 classic rock stations in my area.  The second one started up just a few years ago and promoted themselves as being some sort of alternative to the original one.  But it's basically Tweedledum and Tweedledee. The only upgrade I noticed was that the old channel plays just 2 BOC songs while the new channel plays 3-they added Godzilla to The Reaper and Burnin' for You.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have not listened to radio in years.

One of the best things I ever bought was the USB turntable which allowed me to actually download the LP's which I didn't repeat purchase when CD's came out. I was then able to mix songs on to writeable disks.