The Songs You Hate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Re: The Songs You Hate

Anything by Bon Jovi.

Rod Stewart after about 1978, he was really great before disco killed him.

Forget any song Zepplin stole from a old blues guy and didnt give him credit or money.

He is an idea for a music post people who didnt get the credit they should have for great music,  I would start it with John Haitt.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

If You Think I'm Sexy by Rod Stewart.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate:
    Some bang-on observations about radio, folks.  I'll just add one thing that might be amusing to zillagod.  I have 2 classic rock stations in my area.  The second one started up just a few years ago and promoted themselves as being some sort of alternative to the original one.  But it's basically Tweedledum and Tweedledee. The only upgrade I noticed was that the old channel plays just 2 BOC songs while the new channel plays 3-they added Godzilla to The Reaper and Burnin' for You.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Those are generally the only BOC songs you'll ever hear on radio. 

My other half works at home on her PC and has a classic rock station from Cape Cod on the radio while she works. She absolutley hates the Rolling Stones...her biggest complaint is that they play the same 1/2 dozen or so songs all the time. Mind you , this is a group that has been around since the early sixties and they continue to play "H*nky Tonk Women", "Satisfaction", "Paint It Black", " Only Rock 'n Roll , but I like it", " Get Off of My Cloud" , Brown Sugar", "Miss You" and a  couple others from the early days , they completely ignore the entire Steel Wheels LP, which I think is one of their best.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I actually hate Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Posted by jesseyeric

But ...please tell me you love "Green-Eyed Lady" by Sugarloaf.

I love the bass and keyboards , this song drips of late 60's early 70's nostalgia. I always return ( in my mind , of course) to that time period when songs like this are played, including "Ride, Captain, Ride" and "Vehicle". I have this infatuation with the early post-Woodstock era( 1970-73) in music. I just think many groups came along on the heels of the Beatles and Woodstock, trying to fill a great void. And many did a respectable job.

No that this is all I ever want to listen to, it just is one of my favorite periods in Rock history.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Horse with no name It is bad on all levels.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Posted by shumirules

Really? It's been overplayed for sure. But it is a classic song and was a very big hit in it's time.

I doubt your displeasure with this song is shared by the world at large. But if you hate , you hate it.

So what can I say?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : Really? It's been overplayed for sure. But it is a classic song and was a very big hit in it's time. I doubt your displeasure with this song is shared by the world at large. But if you hate , you hate it. So what can I say?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Yeah, I agree with you here. It is a classic song and deservingly so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : Classic rock stations are just background music for people who are working on a computer or contractors and painters to play on the Dewalt radio (when the generator and compressor aren't running they can actually hear it). Nobody listens to radio intently anymore, it is a bygone media , it exists only as a calming source of something familiar that won't distract peolple from a job while local used car dealers and insurance companies throw in the 20 minutes or more of commercials every hour. I saw this coming many years ago and started  a massive collection of my favorite CD's. Now when I want to listen to good classic rock , I do not depend upon some programmer to play what I want to hear, I use the program mode on the CD changer and "program" my own. Sometimes I listen to complete albums , sometimes not. Life is great , I don't need radio anymore. I haven't needed it for about 20 years. The advertisers and programmers call the shots, play music that is not familiar to the audience or is too "radical" and they pull out. There are no real DJ's anymore, just robots. It stinks.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

This is true to a large part. The only radio I listen to is in my car and I don't always have CDs with me. If a job opportunity I'm looking into works out -- I should know within the next month -- I'll likely buy a new car and have something with an iPod adapter. (I could get something now, but I have to watch my money.).

I'm sure I don't have nearly the number of CDs (or downloads) as you from the sound of it. All the CDs I have is on my iTunes and it's just 3,228 songs, including single-song downloads, albums and boxed sets. I have maybe 10-20 cassettes from the old days that aren't doubled on CDs and maybe 15 to 25 albums that I never got CDs for, and haven't listened to in years.

So I channel surf in the car a lot between two or three classic rock stations, a soft rock station, an easy-listening station, one music station that I can't figure out what to call it, three call-in sports stations and one news-talk radio.

Sometimes I get lucky and the Classic Rock station plays a block of songs that I like and aren't necessarily overplayed, but a lot of times I end up on one of the sports-talk stations.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : Really? It's been overplayed for sure. But it is a classic song and was a very big hit in it's time. I doubt your displeasure with this song is shared by the world at large. But if you hate , you hate it. So what can I say?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Actaully it was voted the 2nd worse song ever by rolling stone.  So I am not alone here.

And just because it was a hit does not mean it was good.  Culture club had hits.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Posted by shumirules

I love that song.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Generally anything by Survivor. "Don't stop" by Fleetwood Mac" One of my favorite all time songs happens to be "Hypnotized" by Fleetwood Mac. So many politicians Democrat and Republican use that(Don't stop) at their victory/defeat parties. I thought Clinton was a good president but it started with him so I think we have to blame him for starting that. Another one I hate is "These are days" by 10,000 Maniacs. And that is used by politicians at their parties. Ughh! hate it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Anything by Bon Jovi. Rod Stewart after about 1978, he was really great before disco killed him. Forget any song Zepplin stole from a old blues guy and didnt give him credit or money. He is an idea for a music post people who didnt get the credit they should have for great music,  I would start it with John Haitt.
    Posted by shumirules

I agree. When your mother who is now 80, gets Rod Stewart easy listening CD's you know he's done. I never got Bon Jovi. John Hiatt is great. Most underated and never got the credit: The Yardbirds, Buffalo Springfield,Buddy Holly of course and the Flying Burrito Brothers. I'm sure there are others I can't think of.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Posted by jesseyeric

Yes this is overplayed in every bar in this country. And of course "Sweet Caroline" Red sox fan or not I hate it. It's a shame because Van has some great stuff and so did early Niel 1966-1970. Great forum Eric thanks for the tip.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : Yes this is overplayed in every bar in this country. And of course "Sweet Caroline" Red sox fan or not I hate it. It's a shame because Van has some great stuff and so did early Niel 1966-1970. Great forum Eric thanks for the tip.
    Posted by jaytf25

This may be a sin - but I am tired of "Welcome Back My Friend to the Show that Never Ends - Karn Evil 9" It has become the only ELP song that is played.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : This may be a sin - but I am tired of "Welcome Back My Friend to the Show that Never Ends - Karn Evil 9" It has become the only ELP song that is played.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I might agree except around here, nothing from ELP is ever played.

That might a thread in itself. What good groups/performers are never played anymore on stations where they could be played?

Some nominees: ELP, Asia, Moody Blues. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

"Cocaine" by Clapton.
    Actually, for a guy who has done so much great stuff, he's done an awful lot of god-awful stuff.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

"Cocaine" by Clapton. Actually, for a guy who has done so much great stuff, he's done an awful lot of god-awful stuff.
    Posted by LloydDobler

I would say that Wonderful Tonight falls into this category, whether it's because I've heard it far too often or it just simply s*cks balls.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Posted by jesseyeric

Them's fightin' words. Just because a song is overplayed does not mean it isn't great.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : This may be a sin - but I am tired of "Welcome Back My Friend to the Show that Never Ends - Karn Evil 9" It has become the only ELP song that is played.
    Posted by jesseyeric

"Lucky Man" used to be overplayed, but Karn Evil 9 is much more overplayed. You don't hear "From the beginning" that much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: The Songs You Hate : "Lucky Man" used to be overplayed, but Karn Evil 9 is much more overplayed. You don't hear "From the beginning" that much.
    Posted by jaytf25

It's incredible, really, how these radio butchers will take a great artist with a great catalogue, chop them down to two songs and think that's cool and that's what the mindless masses want.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Hold all calls, I have a winner: "Hurts So Good" by John Mellencamp. Heard it in the shower this morning and screamed so loud my wife thought I had cut myself shaving again.
    Actually, just about anything by Mellencamp.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Good call on Mellencamp.

That guy just has not held up to the test of time.

Almost all of my killing rampages have been fueled by either "Jack and Diane" or Little Pink Houses."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I actually almost like 1 Melloncamp song."I need a lover" is listenable in long intervals.The rest of his music I can live without

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Good call on Mellencamp. That guy just has not held up to the test of time. Almost all of my killing rampages have been fueled by either "Jack and Diane" or Little Pink Houses."
    Posted by p-mike

I can't imagine a judge who wouldn't buy that.