The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say

With all the attention John Lennon always gets this time of year, I couldn't help but indulge the guy I was talking to yesterday who said, "You know . . .   getting assasinated is a pretty good career move."

Am I the only person who thinks Lennon gets way too much credit for the success of the Beatles simply because he managed to die first?

Are Paul and Ringo marginalized because they had the bad taste to survive?

Am I setting myself up for a cyber-beating for daring to mention such a thing?

I'm just gonna say it:

I think John is overrated.

(ducks and covers)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say

In Response to The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say:
    [QUOTE]With all the attention John Lennon always gets this time of year, I couldn't help but indulge the guy I was talking to yesterday who said, "You know . . .   getting assasinated is a pretty good career move." Am I the only person who thinks Lennon gets way too much credit for the success of the Beatles simply because he managed to die first? Are Paul and Ringo marginalized because they had the bad taste to survive? Am I setting myself up for a cyber-beating for daring to mention such a thing? I'm just gonna say it: I think John is overrated. (ducks and covers)
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

You are certainly not the first person to say this. I do believe that all the Beatles were annointed as Gods and it is an image that is hard to lose in RnR. Was John a hypocrite at times - yes! Was he always "Give Peace a Chance" - no! Was he bigger than life - absolutely!

But the rest of what you say seems a bit simplistic. No one can deny John's genius as an artist and songwriter. He certainly had the courage to try new things after the break-up. How much credit Yoko should get for that is still debated. Was it all good - no! But as I continue to listen to music, nothing since his death still comes close to John at his best. As for his death just adding to his legend, I cannot even comment on that.

For me - he was my music idol growing up. I wept like a baby for days after he died. Who knows what he would have created musically these last 30 years if he was still around. But I wouldn't have bet against him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think JFK is an earlier example of what you are talking about.

To be sure dying young does wonders for fame. Doesn't necessarily have to be assassination.

I give you all , Anna Nicole Smith and Heath Ledger. They have become almost legendary, but really B.B.King and Eric Clapton have loads of talent also, problem here, they are still alive.

Dying young did wonders for the careers of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison, also. I think maybe if comedians got the same attention as Rock stars, we could also include Lenny Bruce, but the problem here is he never quite reached the level of fame necessary ( even people my age say "who?")

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

As a huge John Lennon and Beatles fan, I agree with you, p-mike. After John died, it became fashionable to consider him the brains and real talent of the band. And to dismiss Paul as the cute one and George and Ringo as the supporting cast. And those who came to worship John, particularly after his death, came to loathe Paul. (Some of his god-awful solo work contributed to that, but I digress).

John was a remarkable talent and song-writer, but he was not the only member of the band.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I didn't even bring up the other memebrs of the Beatles because I never put much validity into any statement that says that John was this and Paul, George and Ringo weren't. That is just a stupid comment to start with and doesn't even deserve a response.

There was a reason they were called the Fab Four.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

George is still my favorite Beatle, and I don't care who knows it.

The problem is that The Beatles were an impossible act to follow for ANY of the individual band members.  That they tried should not be discounted, but the purpose of art is not to revel in past glories.  In other words, it's not wrong to re-visit what made one famous, but it's a bad idea to go back and live there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think dying young has given some a status they don't deserve, but I don't think that was the case with Lennon. I really don't think Paul has been marginalized. I think by the late '70s, they already pretty much had their ID's cemented. John was always a bit more political than Paul, but their contributions to the Beatles were considered equal and above George and Ringo, at least as far as songwriting.

I think whatever added status John got came in the early '70s with his struggles with the Nixon administration, and Paul's work solo and with Wings in the '70 added to his reputation.

George might have actually benefitted from "living" -- hate that expression but couldn't think of another way of phrasing it -- because of his later work with the Travelin' Wilburys. It allowed people to take another look at his work.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Zilla, I know who Lenny Bruce is...and he was before my time!  And it's not because of the REM song.

Paul was my fave, with John a close second...

..then I discovered the Ramones and all hell broke loose. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I can see Yoshimi now in her jeans, leather jacket and leather boots screaming Gaba Gaba Hey!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

In Response to Re: The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say:
    [QUOTE]I can see Yoshimi now in her jeans, leather jacket and leather boots screaming Gaba Gaba Hey!
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Trade the jeans for a tight black skirt and you'd be pretty spot on...oddly enough, I never did like to wear jeans. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

You just didn't need to tell me that Yoshimi.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

[QUOTE]You just didn't need to tell me that Yoshimi.

lol!  Well, just remember I'm old now, and a mom.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say : lol!  Well, just remember I'm old now, and a mom.....
    Posted by Yoshimi25[/QUOTE]

Yeah - whatever. Probably still have the boots, leather and mini-skirt, and I don't mean just hanging in the closet either. I would bet on it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say : Yeah - whatever. Probably still have the boots, leather and mini-skirt, and I don't mean just hanging in the closet either. I would bet on it

*blush*...yeah.....I do.  Er.  Old punks never die, they just confuse other moms in the mall when one does not look like one is supposed to. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say : *blush*...yeah.....I do.  Er.  Old punks never die, they just confuse other moms in the mall when one does not look like one is supposed to. 

Bless you Yoshimi. You serve as my humanity on this forum.

You should go check out the Favorite Posters thread on the Sox board. It has gotten good. I think I have been d*mned to hell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say : Bless you Yoshimi. You serve as my humanity on this forum. You should go check out the Favorite Posters thread on the Sox board. It has gotten good. I think I have been d*mned to hell.

Ah, the benefits of being a Buddhist! I get to keep trying until I finally get it right!

Yeah, I've been reading it off and on but haven't really made a post there yet...I know this may sound rather silly, but I always get a bit embarrassed when other posters mention me as a fave...the compliments are nice to read, and I always feel very flattered that someone as unremarkable as myself is memorable enough to mention.  

I haven't been over to the Front Burner as much..waiting for the "Trade Salty for Mauer" threads to die down...and the one that got me in the "Trade Matsuzaka" thread was the "his life won't be worth a nickel if he breaks his contract and goes back to Japan.  The Japanese will take care of him." ...I don't consider it racist, just ignorant.  I couldn't figure out a polite way to tell the Poster to stop getting his information on Japanese culture from WWII propaganda pamphlets...so I opted to say nothing. 

I'll check out the Poster Thread later on today.  I haven't read it since Jeter's girlfriend was mentioned, so I'll see what's been going on since then.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say : Ah, the benefits of being a Buddhist! I get to keep trying until I finally get it right! Yeah, I've been reading it off and on but haven't really made a post there yet...I know this may sound rather silly, but I always get a bit embarrassed when other posters mention me as a fave...the compliments are nice to read, and I always feel very flattered that someone as unremarkable as myself is memorable enough to mention.   I haven't been over to the Front Burner as much..waiting for the "Trade Salty for Mauer" threads to die down...and the one that got me in the "Trade Matsuzaka" thread was the "his life won't be worth a nickel if he breaks his contract and goes back to Japan.  The Japanese will take care of him." ...I don't consider it racist, just ignorant.  I couldn't figure out a polite way to tell the Poster to stop getting his information on Japanese culture from WWII propaganda pamphlets...so I opted to say nothing.  I'll check out the Poster Thread later on today.  I haven't read it since Jeter's girlfriend was mentioned, so I'll see what's been going on since then.

You get mentioned as a favorite because you are an intelligent and gracious poster. I like talking with you very much.

I occassionaly get mentioned as a favorite poster on front burner, even though I often get people riled up with saying anti Theo stuff they don't want to hear. The problem for me is I started out being very serious on the baseball boards , but soon found out that "serious" posters can just get aggravated because if your opinion is different from some wiseguy's , that person will drag you into an argument. I come here for a little relaxation from work, and the music board provides this. Meanwhile, I have just decided to not be too serious on Red Sox chats, but to have some fun with it...and let the others get aggravated. This works well for me, I stay within the rules, but am not always 100% serious with what I say there. ( My comments on this board are much more serious, as music means lots more to me than sports).

Sorry, for going off topic, guys. I can't say it'll never happen again, because it probably will.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The fav. Poster thread has turned into a Right Wing book burning, hallaleuhah thread.

And I have been d*mned to hell by one of the community.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Zill, I admit, there are a few things you and I don't agree on when it comes to the Sox, but you know what?  I really respect your opinion and love reading your stuff! Sometimes....(hold onto your hats!) I even learn something!!! Seeing the same thing from a different perspective is always a benefit to coming to a better understanding of everything as a whole. 

There is an old budo story (I've seen it retold with Bruce Lee as the sensei) about a student coming to seek training in Zen.  He sits down to tea with the Master and declares his intent to learn Zen.  The master asks if he'd like tea and the student replies, "yes."  The master pours the tea into the Student's cup and the cup overflows.  The Master keeps pouring.  The Student finally says, "Master, no more can fit into the cup." And the Master replies, "and how do you expect to learn Zen when no more can fit into your brain?"  

To know nothing is to know everything. 

Jessey, you probably are the most diplomatic person on the Sox board.  You are in enemy territory, yet manage to carve out a following of die-hards.  Loving the enemy, resisting temptation to boast and brag - I'm pretty sure your God will forgive you for finding girls attractive.   In fact, I'm pretty sure that the dude that's harassing you has not lived the Bible to the letter anyway.   Those who bark loudest have something to hide. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Zill, I admit, there are a few things you and I don't agree on when it comes to the Sox, but you know what?  I really respect your opinion and love reading your stuff! Sometimes....(hold onto your hats!) I even learn something!!! Seeing the same thing from a different perspective is always a benefit to coming to a better understanding of everything as a whole.  There is an old budo story (I've seen it retold with Bruce Lee as the sensei) about a student coming to seek training in Zen.  He sits down to tea with the Master and declares his intent to learn Zen.  The master asks if he'd like tea and the student replies, "yes."  The master pours the tea into the Student's cup and the cup overflows.  The Master keeps pouring.  The Student finally says, "Master, no more can fit into the cup." And the Master replies, "and how do you expect to learn Zen when no more can fit into your brain?"   To know nothing is to know everything.  Jessey, you probably are the most diplomatic person on the Sox board.  You are in enemy territory, yet manage to carve out a following of die-hards.  Loving the enemy, resisting temptation to boast and brag - I'm pretty sure your God will forgive you for finding girls attractive.   In fact, I'm pretty sure that the dude that's harassing you has not lived the Bible to the letter anyway.   Those who bark loudest have something to hide. 

I'll admit something to you also. As long as you promise not to advertise it on the Red Sox forums.

I have an inherited "mean streak" from my father's side. When I say "mean" what I really mean is "mischievious", I get a good laugh out of making a comment that I absolutley know will get me in trouble. I know it's probably wrong ( not against the rules, mind you) but I will get poor joebreidey's ( he sounds like a really good guy) goat by saying something anti-Red Sox or anti-Theo. I don't target anyone specifically , but joe seems determined to "fight the good fight." God bless him , he is a diehard believer, but he provides the "counter-point" to my "point." Just like jesseyeric with the Cheap Trick thumbs up to my thumbs down.

Mostly I am just having fun. It's no fun when too many people know this, though ,although some like BILL806 have figured it out, because he's a mischeivious sort too and too many people don't understand the man...he's a real riot!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Most of us have you figured out you big softy. Your just a mischievious lizard who hasn't trashed any big cities in awhile and need to bust chops here to make up for it.

Thank you for the kind words Yoshimi. I am just a big flirt. As for the happening on the other thread, sadly I let him get the best of me for about 3 minutes and should have known better.

As for my God, I am pretty sure he is a she and she is a leather clad dominatrix from either Eastern Europe or Asia. And whether they forgive me or not is just not my problem. Unless of course hell is really some firey place in the bowels of the earth. I don't think I would like that too much Tongue out

As Bush said -Everything Zen, everything zen - I don't think so!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Most of us have you figured out you big softy. Your just a mischievious lizard who hasn't trashed any big cities in awhile and need to bust chops here to make up for it. Thank you for the kind words Yoshimi. I am just a big flirt. As for the happening on the other thread, sadly I let him get the best of me for about 3 minutes and should have known better. As for my God, I am pretty sure he is a she and she is a leather clad dominatrix from either Eastern Europe or Asia. And whether they forgive me or not is just not my problem. Unless of course hell is really some firey place in the bowels of the earth. I don't think I would like that too much As Bush said -Everything Zen, everything zen - I don't think so!

That song by Bush was a big favorite of mine...wonder what ever became of them? I thought they had some real potential. But releasing a  great rock song like that in the midst of the "boy band era" is probably what did them in. Perhaps they should have done "Everything's pre-teen" or something that today's youth can understand....although I'd be hard pressed to know what that might be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

They were being blasted in the music rags as an English Pearl Jam wannabe. And their 2nd album was a bit slow on sales. And of course Gavin met Gwen Stefani from No Doubt and as you can imagine, his mind drifted.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Is this thread OT now?  Too late to talk about John and Yoko? 
    I checked to see what all the posts were about, thinking you were in a debate! I wanted to join in!  Fooled me on that! 

Or the "what I wore to bars when I was in my twenties" thread?
    Jeans
    Boots
    Tiny tee shirts
    That's what I wore to bars.  Boots even if it was 95 degrees in the shade.  Never wore skirts.  Oh, I did once.  And regretted it. 

ZILLA: it's called being a "button pusher" in my book.  If it's all in good fun, it's not mean at all.   

Ok, back to Sox OT, and whatever else you were discussing. 

Me --- />  OUT.    

PS Yoshimi ... these guys did not read that article in the Globe Magazine like I did,  so they don't know what was revealed there!    Wink  It's all safe with me. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Is this thread OT now?  Too late to talk about John and Yoko?  I checked to see what all the posts were about, thinking you were in a debate! I wanted to join in!  Fooled me on that!  Or the "what I wore to bars when I was in my twenties" thread? Jeans Boots Tiny tee shirts That's what I wore to bars.  Boots even if it was 95 degrees in the shade.  Never wore skirts.  Oh, I did once.  And regretted it.  ZILLA: it's called being a "button pusher" in my book.  If it's all in good fun, it's not mean at all.    Ok, back to Sox OT, and whatever else you were discussing.  Me --- />  OUT.     PS Yoshimi ... these guys did not read that article in the Globe Magazine like I did,  so they don't know what was revealed there!      It's all safe with me. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Ok Yoga - between Yoshi and her mini skirts and leathers and you in your jeans and tiny tee-shirts, I just really don't need to know anymore. I am easily distracted and I don't need two of my favorite posters (male or female), but in this case female making my mind wander when it shouldn't.

Now what Globe article are you discussing?