They started with a bang.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

They started with a bang.

yoga's thread got me thinking about a subject that was on my mind earlier today and got lost amongst all the other info that is crammed in my skull.

Remember all those great groups that debuted in the 70s?

Think of how many released an album that became an "instant" classic. I mean this album was a "must have" only days after it's release...it was that good. {But let's not restrict our choices to the 70s ( I added this after slim's first response)}.

I can compile an impressive list , but I am sure there are many others.

Elvis Costello- My Aim Is True

Van Halen- Van Halen

The Cars- The Cars

Boston-Boston

( yes many of these are not very imaginative titles...the band's name)

Dire Straits- Dire Straits

Foreigner- Foreigner

Heart- Dreamboat Annie

This was not the case with all Rock artists, Yes, Grateful Dead, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Airplane, The Rolling Stones, to name a few didn't exactly start their careers with an "instant classic." All produced strong debuts but not albums where every track is a killer. The ones I list are at least 80% chock full of great songs , some are 100%.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: They started with a bang.

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

Pearl Jam's 'Ten'.

I can't tell if you were looking for strictly 70's, since rattled off a bunch of 60's bands later in your post.

Not really, just menioned 70s because this is the decade that most "classic" albums came from, and the decade where that killer debut was most common. At least I think so.

But, not to get off the subject, the 60s bands I mentioned had a strong presence in the 70s and many beyond into the 80s.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]

The Pretenders were also fast out of the blocks with their debut.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's another good one.

I knew I could count on you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Steely Dan - Can't buy a thrill

George Harrison - All things must pass

Meatloaf - Bat out of hell

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Aerosmith - Aerosmith

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Steely Dan - Can't buy a thrill

George Harrison - All things must pass

Meatloaf - Bat out of hell

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Aerosmith - Aerosmith

[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Good ones, mojo.

I'll add another quick one because I better get back to real work:

The Doors - The Doors

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority

The Clash - The Clash

Stone Roses - Stone Roses

The Band - Music From Big Pink

Alice In Chains - Facelift

Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead

REM - Murmur

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Led Zeppelin

Talking Heads - '77

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Blue - Joni Mitchell (not her debut, but an "instant classic" in every way -- from the 70's)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Guns and Roses - Appetite for destruction 

MC5 - Kick out the jams

Blind Faith - Blind Faith

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - I love rock and roll

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

The Ramones - The Ramaones

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill

The B52's - The B52's

The Police - Outlandos d' Amour

Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park

The Beatles - Please Please Me

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Did he put out any studio work before that? I know he was with the Small Faces, but I honestly don't know.

Humble Pie, the Herd, Frampton's Camel... but  not the Small Faces.

I think you are confused with Steve Marriott , the other guitar player from Humble Pie who was from the Small Faces. And yes, although Frampton Comes Alive was indeed an "instant classic" , it is not what I was looking for, I think maybe I didn't make it clear that I was asking for DEBUT albums...sorry if I was unclear.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blue - Joni Mitchell (not her debut, but an "instant classic" in every way -- from the 70's)

[/QUOTE]

I love that album. I used to listen to Joni Mitchell alot around 1977 or so, Carey is just a great song....also I loved the Miles Of Aisles "live" LP and wore out the vinyl on my favorite Joni Mitchell LP, Court And Spark.....not a bad track among the 11. Check out the list of musicians on that LP.....Tom Scott, Larry Carlton, David Crosby and Graham Nash, Robbie Robertson, Jose Feliciano ( yes, the Feliz Navida guy!), even Cheech and Chong lend vocals to Twisted.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

Crosby Stills & Nash  I still listen to that album beautiful harmonies.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

Eagles burst on the scene in the summer of 72 with their debut.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did he put out any studio work before that? I know he was with the Small Faces, but I honestly don't know.

[/QUOTE] I seem to remember his first solo effort was released in the early seventies.I have also heard a studio version of ''Do You Feel Like We Do"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to bombah's comment:

I think I wore out my vinyl copy of that one too.

The album contains one of my favorite songs ( all right, I say this a lot, but I have lots of favorites!), Wooden Ships. The song is unique in Rock history because it was recorded by two major groups, yet neither is a cover. How can this be?....Wooden Ships was written by David Crosby and Stephen Stills along with Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane. It was released by both groups around the same time , so because the song was co-written by members of both , neither can be called a "cover."

It would be like 'Badge' by Cream being recorded by the Beatles and released on Abbey Road. The song was co-written by George Harrison and Eric Clapton ( with credit to Ringo for one line in the lyrics). If the Beatles had recorded it and included it on a LP , it wouldn't be considered a "cover."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I love that album. I used to listen to Joni Mitchell alot around 1977 or so, Carey is just a great song....also I loved the Miles Of Aisles "live" LP and wore out the vinyl on my favorite Joni Mitchell LP, Court And Spark.....not a bad track among the 11. Check out the list of musicians on that LP.....Tom Scott, Larry Carlton, David Crosby and Graham Nash, Robbie Robertson, Jose Feliciano ( yes, the Feliz Navida guy!), even Cheech and Chong lend vocals to Twisted.

[/QUOTE]

"Court and Spark" is another one of her instant classics, but I don't know the full album as well as I know "Blue" -- so I'll have to check out the full "Court and Spark." (NOTE: I got Blue as a CD when Border's liquidated a few years ago, dirt cheap).   

I'm not sure, but it seems that Joni Mitchell's following now is more of a cult following among younger listeners, as she's not in the public eye much.   She's inimitable.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bombah's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think I wore out my vinyl copy of that one too.

The album contains one of my favorite songs ( all right, I say this a lot, but I have lots of favorites!), Wooden Ships. The song is unique in Rock history because it was recorded by two major groups, yet neither is a cover. How can this be?....Wooden Ships was written by David Crosby and Stephen Stills along with Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane. It was released by both groups around the same time , so because the song was co-written by members of both , neither can be called a "cover."

It would be like 'Badge' by Cream being recorded by the Beatles and released on Abbey Road. The song was co-written by George Harrison and Eric Clapton ( with credit to Ringo for one line in the lyrics). If the Beatles had recorded it and included it on a LP , it wouldn't be considered a "cover."

[/QUOTE]

If you can track it down, check out the bootleg that is probably out there on the interwebs for free download, called the PERRO Sessions from December 1970/January 1971. It was around the time Crosby was putting out his solo album.  It's incredbile quality and really cool. Kantner, Slick, Crosby, Garcia and Nash are on it. It has Jerry working through the beginnings of "Loser" and this song called Mountain Song which was apparently never finished, but well worth the listen in its various forms.

Finally, do you know why that Cream song Badge was called Badge? It's sort of a funny story.

[/QUOTE]
    Clapton misread the word "bridge" as BADGE.

I used to wonder what the name had to do with the song. So, I looked this up and and this is what I found....true?...who knows? , but it does kind of make sense.

Also Ringo gets songwrting credit for the line about the swans that live in the park, or so I've heard.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
    The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
    Jay Reatard - Blood Visions
    Arcade Fire - Funeral

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

The Pretenders were also fast out of the blocks with their debut.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, one of the greatest debut albums evah.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Clapton was addicted to heroin.

There is no doubt of that.

It messed up his life for a while, and he lucky to have kicked it before it killed him.

I don't believe it had anything to do with "Badge" , more likely George Harrison scribbled "Bridge" ( as songwriters will do on their song sheets).

Clapton did not write Cocaine....J.J.Cale also covered it. Many people chant out the word "Cocaine" when the song is played and it sounds like a song that glorifies drug abuse. It is not, it is a song with a warning and a message.....she don't lie. It is an anti-drug song as is That Smell , The Needle And The Spoon by Lynryrd Skynyrd.