"'Trane was the Father, Pharoah was the Son, and I am the Holy Ghost"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"'Trane was the Father, Pharoah was the Son, and I am the Holy Ghost"

If you're familiar with that quote, then you know more about jazz than you've let on.    

This looked so interesting to me, thought I'd pass it on as a FYI:  

"Swedish filmmaker Kasper Collin's documentary "My Name is Albert Ayler" is a fascinating look at one of the most enigmatic figures in modern jazz.    Albert Ayler's aggressive, raw, ecstatic free jazz took music even further out than his friend, mentor and admirer John Coltrane had.   Ayler famously said, 'Trane was the father, Pharoah (Sanders) was the Son, and I am the Holy Ghost.   

Ayler regarded his screaming, squawking, deeply spiritual form of jazz as "the healing force of the universe" and wanted to impart his listeners "wisdom through music."   His wildly aggressive saxophone improvisations blew the doors off all else going on at the time, although he never attained much more than a cult following during his lifetime, or in the years since his (presumed) suicide in 1970 at the age of 34. "

Check it out further:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/my_name_is_albert_ayler_trane_was_the_father_pharoah_was_the_son_i_am_the_h

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re:

I wasn't familiar with the quote, but I knew it was about jazz. I have a John Coltrane boxed set but I never really got into free jazz that much. I prefer music (even jazz) with some semblance of structure. I had also heard of Pharoah Sanders and Albert Ayler. My favorite jazz performer/composer/band leader is Duke Ellington. The quality and quantity of his work is amazing.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley