VH1's new Greatest List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

VH1's new Greatest List

They sent out ballots to over 200 artists and industry insiders to come up with a new list. Major cahnges from the last vote many years back.

Are you watching and what is your opinion so far?

And if Michael Jackson is number 1, I am storming VH 1 headquarters.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: VH1's new Greatest List

Here's how the voting went in 1998 (Top 10):

1 - The Beatles
    2 -
    Rolling Stones
    3 -
    Jimi Hendrix
    4 -
    Led Zeppelin
    5 -
    Bob Dylan
    6 -
    James Brown
    7 -
    David Bowie
    8 -
    Elvis Presley
    9 -
    The Who
    10 -
    The Police

The Police, I don't know how they got to #10 in that last poll.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: VH1's new Greatest List:
    [QUOTE]Here's how the voting went in 1998 (Top 10): 1 - The Beatles 2 - Rolling Stones 3 - Jimi Hendrix 4 - Led Zeppelin 5 - Bob Dylan 6 - James Brown 7 - David Bowie 8 - Elvis Presley 9 - The Who 10 - The Police The Police, I don't know how they got to #10 in that last poll.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

So far only the Police have dropped. There are definitely some strange selections. I have no problem with the Hip-Hop choices (I do, but I understand that representation), but Justin Timberlake making the top 100 is absolutely insane.

I have this fear that MJ is going to be number 1. It seems that Bruce will not make the top 20 so I am trying to figure out who will be there.

As of yet, no Motown bands have been named and the Temps, 4 Tops, Supremes, Jackson 5 and Smokey and the Miracles should have been in the top 100. I am guessing all 5 bands make it, but one or two might not.

The obvious seem to be and this is in no special order.

The Who, Zep, Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Hendrix, Nirvana, Queen, Beach Boys, David Bowie, Elvis, James Brown. So that is 12, then you add in the 5 Motown bands and that brings us to 17. Then rounding off the list would be Michael Jackson, Madonna which leaves one last spot.

Now they have not named Buddy Holly or Bo Didley so it could be one of them. Alice Cooper was not named and although he should be in the top 100, I doubt he will be in the top 20, therefore he does not appear at all. Since Johnny Cash made the list, it is always possible that Hank Williams makes the list, but I doubt it. Another missing band is C, S, N, & Y. I think they get that final spot in the top 20. However, since Hip Hop does count for 10 % of this list, it is possible that Grandmaster Flash takes that last spot. And then there is the influence of the Sex Pistols. Maybe they get it. And the wild card is Frank Sinatra. You just never know.

But if MJ even cracks the top 5, I will lose all faith in mankind.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

An interesting list...I've been watching, but I don't take it too seriously.

When Pearl Jam showed up in the mid-90s(!), and when Beyonce and George Michael actually made the cut, how could I...??

To me, heavy metal artists were given short shrift in favor of hip-hop artists (no Iron Maiden or Deep Purple?), but I guess them's the breaks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I know the Beatles and Stones were always considered #1 and #2 by many but really shouldn't they be #1A and #1B?

IS THIS GREATEST ROCK OR GREATEST MUSIC ACT?

Bob Dylan easily is #1 on greatest folk act...but as a rock act he likely doesn't make the top ten. His strength is as a songwriter not a musician or singer.

The Police don't belong in top ten of anything. Not knocking them , I have all their albums and Synchronicity is awesome, but there are so many much, much better acts out there.

I don't think VH-1 should annoint themselves and the "experts that vote as authorities on this subject. If anything look at longevity, sales, and fan reaction to artists and use that as a guide to who is the best. I think maybe , longevity is the best measuring stick. If you take an artist like Tom Petty and see that he has remained popular and active and still makes great music , you have in a nutshell what makes a great artist great.

Just a few random thoughts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I agree with Z on Dylan and The Police. Personally, I don't like The Police or Sting very much but can appreciate their talent, so maybe there's a bit of bias involved. 

On the list of from 1998, I'd flip Elvis an Hendrix simply because of Elvis' impact and aura. And while Elvis wasn't a songwriter, he had an amazing voice and a stage presence that few can match.

Hendrix was great, but his career was much too short to be ranked so high IMO. He's what I called an overrated all-time great, meaning he's as great as everyone says but overrated at the same time if that makes sense.

If you're going to leave Dylan in, fine, but The Who needs to be moved up right behind Led Zeppelin, followed by Pink Floyd. I'd knock David Bowie out of the top 10 and replace The Police at 10 with Buddy Holly. He needs to be in the top 10. Not only did he have some great music, he foreshadowed what rock became in the 1960s where groups performed their own music, instead of having songs written for them.

As the '60s went on, groups that could write their own music survived and groups that couldn't were the ones that faded away.

If not Buddy Holly, then Queen. Make then 10-11 in some order. Both deserve to be ranked higher than David Bowie and The Police. Elton John is another performer who I would put ahead of Bowie and The Police.

I can understand Bowie's appeal to a point but to be ranked No. 7 ahead Elvis, The Who, Buddy Holly, Queen and Elton John -- no, not in my opinion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I doubt anybody at VH-1 would consider my opinion worthy but Elvis and Buddy Holly always seem to be the main 50's artists that get mentioned on a "greatest" list.

Consider that Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard were tremendous influences on almost every rock act from the 60's and many from the 70's.

Little Richard songs "Lucille" and "Good Golly Miss Molly" were covered by just about every garage band and some later bands (Creedence covered "Good Golly Miss Molly" and I have a live Deep Purple show where they do a great version of "Lucille")

Jerry Lee Lewis is not called "the Killer" for nothing....this was the original punk and the guy who put the defiant attitude into rock music....much more the rebel than Elvis.

Chuck Berry had songs covered by the Stones and the Beatles , he is without a doubt the most prolific of the early rockers, his output of great songs far eclipsed any of the others. His duckwalk was likely one of the earliest attempts to "liven up" the live show....even many 60's groups when seen on Ed Sullivan stand like statues on the stage...almost looking like they are frozen in place.

My top ten would certainly have Chuck Berry and Eric Clapton. But that is my opinion and really there are just too many great ones to reduce "the greatest" into the ten great artists. I am very fond of Alvin Lee and Ten Years After , but most people wouldn't place them in a top 100. Why? They are known by most people as a "one hit wonder" with 'I'd Love to Change the World'...that is so far from true, Alvin Lee along with Robin Trower just might be two of the most under-rated singer,songwriter, guitarists of all time. This is really very sad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I doubt anybody at VH-1 would consider my opinion worthy but Elvis and Buddy Holly always seem to be the main 50's artists that get mentioned on a "greatest" list. Consider that Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard were tremendous influences on almost every rock act from the 60's and many from the 70's. Little Richard songs "Lucille" and "Good Golly Miss Molly" were covered by just about every garage band and some later bands (Creedence covered "Good Golly Miss Molly" and I have a live Deep Purple show where they do a great version of "Lucille") Jerry Lee Lewis is not called "the Killer" for nothing....this was the original punk and the guy who put the defiant attitude into rock music....much more the rebel than Elvis. Chuck Berry had songs covered by the Stones and the Beatles , he is without a doubt the most prolific of the early rockers, his output of great songs far eclipsed any of the others. His duckwalk was likely one of the earliest attempts to "liven up" the live show....even many 60's groups when seen on Ed Sullivan stand like statues on the stage...almost looking like they are frozen in place. My top ten would certainly have Chuck Berry and Eric Clapton. But that is my opinion and really there are just too many great ones to reduce "the greatest" into the ten great artists. I am very fond of Alvin Lee and Ten Years After , but most people wouldn't place them in a top 100. Why? They are known by most people as a "one hit wonder" with 'I'd Love to Change the World'...that is so far from true, Alvin Lee along with Robin Trower just might be two of the most under-rated singer,songwriter, guitarists of all time. This is really very sad.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Chuck Berry and Clapton are definitely top 10 worthy. I really have to rethink this list, but The Police and Bowie are definitely gone. Maybe I'll replace James Brown with Chuck Berry and rethink where to put Clapton.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: VH1's new Greatest List : Chuck Berry and Clapton are definitely top 10 worthy. I really have to rethink this list, but The Police and Bowie are definitely gone. Maybe I'll replace James Brown with Chuck Berry and rethink where to put Clapton.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I wish I could add more , but I have to go.

Damn, these breaktimes go by so fast when you get on an interesting thread!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If the following don't get in the top 100 (Jazz, Classical, Blues, Pure Country, Adult Contemporary/Pre '50s excepted), it's a farce:

Black Sabbath
    VU
    Carl Perkins
    Little Richard
    Sam Cooke
    Bob Marley
    Arethra
    Allman Bros
    Ray Charles
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Pink Floyd
    Chuck Berry

Borderline essential:

Metallica
    Otis Redding
    Bo Diddley
    Fats Domino
    Animals
    Jeff Beck
    Brian Eno
    Yardbirds
    Cream
    Doors
    Radiohead
    Airplane
    Buddy Holly
    Queen
    Johnny Cash
    Bill Haley

Others worthy of consideration:

Iron Maiden
    Clash
    Ramones
    REM
    ELP
    King Crimson
    Joy Division
    Soundgarden
    Sonic Youth
    Talking Heads
    Stooges
    Alice 'N Chains
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Guns 'N Roses
    Paul Butterfield
    Nick Drake
    Beastie Boys
    Leonard Cohen
    Neil Young
    Fairport Convention
    Simon & Garfunkel
    Joni Mitchell
    CCR
    Skynyrd
    Dick Dale
    AC/DC
    Eagles
    Faces
    Rush
    Yes
    Aerosmith
    Pearl Jam
    Bee Gees
    Joe Turner
    Genesis
    Carole King
    Neil Diamond & Sedaka
    Paul Anka
    Bobby Rydell
    Dion
    4 Seasons
    Platters
    Little Anthony
    Bee Gees
    Stevie Wonder
    Billy Joel
    LL Cool J
    Ice T
    Public Enemy & Spinoffs
    NWA
    Eric B & Rakim
    Smiths
    Joplin
    Ruth Brown

I'm sure I forgot a few.

Note: I tried to avoid the slam dunks (Hendrix, Beatles, E John, Elvis, RS, Boss, Dylan, Motown Icons, Zep, Dead, Beach Boys, Nirvana, Who, etc)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

nhsteven, nice list, but indeed you left out "quite" a few....of my favorites...which, of course, points up the lunacy of these type lists.

As Earth humans with emotion and so many different DNA combinations, we are all in possession of a great thing called "our opinion."

With literally thousands of artists to choose from no two "TOP 100 best of" lists can ever be the same.

I don't see Tom Petty, Deep Purple or the Scorpions on your list, either by design or not.  These would be very high on my list and many others,too.

This does not make one of us right and one of us wrong, it just means we are the same in the types of music we like, but we differ on the artists we like best, as I am sure can be said of all posters here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Again, I think they sacrificed quite a few heavy metal bands (as well as jam bands - no grateful dead...??) in favor of hip-hop artists.  I like certain rap and hip-hop artists just fine, but even my faves De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest didn't even make the cut.

That's the crime in limiting it to only 100, I suppose.  I think those of us here who are music lovers would have a bit of trouble even coming up with our own '100 best' list.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]nhsteven, nice list, but indeed you left out "quite" a few....of my favorites...which, of course, points up the lunacy of these type lists. As Earth humans with emotion and so many different DNA combinations, we are all in possession of a great thing called "our opinion." With literally thousands of artists to choose from no two "TOP 100 best of" lists can ever be the same. I don't see Tom Petty, Deep Purple or the Scorpions on your list, either by design or not.  These would be very high on my list and many others,too. This does not make one of us right and one of us wrong, it just means we are the same in the types of music we like, but we differ on the artists we like best, as I am sure can be said of all posters here.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I agree about DP; Petty's borderline; I don't know Scorpions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

U2, anyone? No one can deny this bands popularity and importance to the music industry. They have put out some exceptional albums, continue to be among the most popular acts in music history and actually write good music. While some folks seem to be put off by Bono's political rants, one has to agree that they deserve at least top 20 consideration..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]U2, anyone? No one can deny this bands popularity and importance to the music industry. They have put out some exceptional albums, continue to be among the most popular acts in music history and actually write good music. While some folks seem to be put off by Bono's political rants, one has to agree that they deserve at least top 20 consideration..
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]
    U2 is definitely a top band. They have also stood the test of time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Yes, I forgot U2.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Guess Who, Buffalo Springfield, Moody Blues, Jethro Tull.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I hope p-mike doesn't read this one!!!

He hates U2.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Did anyone notice that not one Motown group hit the top 100 on that VH 1 farce?

Now someone explain that to me?

Zappa and the Mothers did not make the list. Now that is just wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Forgot Zappa; liked the Guess Who; great songs, but I don't think they're top 100; Tull is pseudo-prog, although they did have a couple of good songs; loved the Moody Blues; they had a ton of terrific arty songs just under the radar; I'm on the fence about them. Although Poppy, I liked 3DogNight if you make a top 200 list; I forgot Sly also.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This is the list. Now here are my comments. And I will try and respect the fact that Hip-Hop is part of the culture and has been since the late 70's and has a place on the list.

100 Alecia Keyes (she is good - maybe in 10 years she deserves)
    99 Hall & Oates (okay)
    98 Depeche Mode (okay)
    97 Pretenders (okay)
    96 Journey (maybe - if not top 100 - close)
    95 OutKast (no - -but I do like them)
    94 Mariah Carey (okay)
    93 Pearl Jam (Okay)
    92 LL Cool J (Not really - even in hip hop - where is Grandmaster Flash)
    91 Green Day - (Pistols are more important - maybe top 175)
    90 Elvis Costello (okay - maybe top 70)
    89 Beastie Boys (okay)
    88 Bee Gees (Top 100 for sure)
    87 George Michael (Just stop it)
    86 N.W.A. (Important in hip-hop for sure)
    85 The Band (Agree)
    84 Curtis Mayfield (No - but is important; maybe to 150)
    83 Earth, Wind and Fire (Agree)
    82 Steely Dan (top 100 for sure)
    81 ABBA (no - maybe to 150)
    80 Mary J. Blige (no)
    79 Eminem (Okay)
    78 Judas Priest (I don't agree - maybe top 200 - Motorhead far more important)
    77 Lynyrd Skynyrd (Agree)
    76 Run-D.M.C. (Agree - should be top rated Rap group)
    75 Rush (Agree)
    74 The Cure (Agree)
    73 Van Morrison (I don't think so - top 150)
    72 Janis Joplin (Agree  - how did Joni Mitchell get more votes?)
    71 R.E.M. (Agree - maybe top 60)
    70 Def Leppard (Surprised by this - but okay with it - maybe top 90)
    69 Tupac Shakur (Okay with this)
    68 Otis Redding (Agree - maybe higher)
    67 Coldplay (Another ridiculous choice)
    66 Justin Timberlke (Really - what were they smoking when they voted this)
    65 The Doors (Agree)
    64 Talking Heads (One of the most over-rated bands ever)
    63 Notorious B.I.G. (important to hip -hop, but not higher than Tupac)
    62 Genesis (top 80)
    61 Cream (Do the voters even understand music - top 25)
    60 Whitney Houston (definitely before Beyonce - top 100 for sure)
    59 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers ( too low - should be top 30)
    58 Cheap Trick (I agree)
    57 Iggy & The Stooges (This they got right)
    56 KISS (Begrudgingly)
    55 Peter Gabriel (solo career not top 100 - maybe top 175))
    54 Public Enemy (Not this high - but they are important in hip-hop)
    53 Little Richard (Top 15 - he is the architect)
    52 Beyoncé (No - maybe 20 years from now - but not yet - hello - Supremes)
    51 Billy Joel (agree)
    50 Sade (Love Sade - but no)
    49 Parliament-Funkadelic (top 75)
    48 Rage Against The Machine (Stop this silliness)
    47 Jay-Z (One hip-hop artist who has no place on this list)
    46 Ramones (Agree)
    45 Al Green ( too high - top 100)
    44 Joni Mitchell (Stop this)
    43 Ray Charles (Way too low - should be top 25)
    42 Metallica (maybe top 55 - Deep Purple is more important and not on list)
    41 Van Halen (agreed)
    40 The Police (too high - between 90 - 100)
    39 The Kinks (Way too low - top 15)
    38 Sly & The Family Stone (agreed)
    37 Fleetwood Mac (top 65)
    36 Paul McCartney (See John Lennon solo - top 100)
    35 Johnny Cash (He is special - top 75)
    34 Tina Turner (Agree)
    33 Guns N’ Roses (Top 40)
    32 Black Sabbath (Should be top 20)
    31 John Lennon (My idol - but solo career should not rate this high - top 100)
    30 Aerosmith (if no 80's  shlock - definitely top 25)
    29 Radiohead (Way too high, but understand - top 80)
    28 Elton John (agree)
    27 Aretha Franklin (Top 20)
    26 Neil Young (agreed)
    25 Chuck Berry (Should be top 15)
    24 The Velvet Underground - (too high - top 75)
    23 AC/DC (Too high - top 75)
    22 The Clash - (agree)
    21 Bruce Springsteen (No-most over-rated recording artist - see Michael Jackson)
    20 Marvin Gaye - (agree)
    19 U2 ( I understand - top 75 in my book)
    18 Pink Floyd (Agree)
    17 Queen (Begrudgingly - personally - top 15)
    16 Madonna (I understand - maybe top 50)
    15 The Beach Boys (Agree)
    14 Nirvana (Disagree - maybe in the top 90)
    13 The Who (Should be top 4)
    12 David Bowie (Should be top 10)
    11 Bob Marley (definitely top 40)
    10 Stevie Wonder (Definitely top 20)
    09 James Brown (Agree)
    08 Elvis Presley (understand and agree)
    07 Prince (Definitely top 20)
    06 Jimi Hendrix (Agree)
    05 Bob Dylan (definitely top 5)
    04 Rolling Stones (Agree )
    03 Led Zeppelin (Agree)
    02 Michael Jackson (I understand his place in pop culture - top 80)
    01 The Beatle (shocking - if they were not #1, then these people should never be allowed to vote again)

I will never understand why Deep Purple and the Alice Cooper Band do not receive the respect that they should.

Where the h*ll are the Yardbirds? Seriously, does anyone not understand their importance and if not, why?

Simon and Garfunkel - how are they not on this list?

If you have Hip-Hop, how is Grandmaster Flash not here?

The Temps, Supremes, 4 Tops and Smokey Robinson. Do the R&B artists of today not know where their roots are? Dumb-azzes!

Bo Didley and Buddy Holly - there missing makes this whole endeavor worthless.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Jessey

I agree with a lot of your take. Disagree with comment about Bowie and Springsteen, but that's just personal taste, I guess.

I agree 100 percent about Yardbirds, Simon and Garfunkel, definitely the Motown groups you mentioned and Buddy Holly -- all these ommisions makes the endeavor worthless along with the ommision of:

Crosby Stills and Nash (and Young)
    Moody Blues
    Jethro Tull
    Even Bob Seger.

Including Journey, for one, over any of these groups is a crime. Heck, I'd take Styx, Foreigner, Kansas or REO Speedwagon over Journey and but I wouldn't push them on this list.

I like Def Leppard and don't have a problem with them being in the top 100, but I'd take your groups and my additions over them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Jessey I agree with a lot of your take. Disagree with comment about Bowie and Springsteen, but that's just personal taste, I guess. I agree 100 percent about Yardbirds, Simon and Garfunkel, definitely the Motown groups you mentioned and Buddy Holly -- all these ommisions makes the endeavor worthless along with the ommision of: Crosby Stills and Nash (and Young) Moody Blues Jethro Tull Even Bob Seger. Including Journey, for one, over any of these groups is a crime. Heck, I'd take Styx, Foreigner, Kansas or REO Speedwagon over Journey and but I wouldn't push them on this list. I like Def Leppard and don't have a problem with them being in the top 100, but I'd take your groups and my additions over them.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

These lists are hard. I pick Bowie top 10 because of his influence across so many different genres. And although I agree that Bruce has to be in top 100, I don't see him being that special of a recording artist. Now if you wanted to create a list of live performers, then I would list Bruce very high. But when you listen to the music that came after Bruce, you do not hear his influence all that much.

I like that Def Lep were recognized and was quite surprised that they made the top 70. I think I would of had them around 85 - 90.

CSNY and Tull would make my personal top 100, or even a true RnR list, but I understand that when incorporating Pop and Hip-Hop in, that there would be some left off. This is why I can live with ELP not being on the list.

Besides the ones I listed, I give you one band that is not there and should be. They were a major influence/impact on 3 specific genres of Rock and Roll.

Some say that Punk started with them. Some call it the NYC Club scene. Then there was their impact on Hard Rock and what was to become Glam Rock and then the Hair Metal genre.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the

NY Dolls

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

NY Dolls? Ugh. (LOL)

You know -- the more I think about it, the more ticked I get when I look at:

Journey In and Temps, Supremes, 4 Tops and Smokey Robinson Out. That is so wrong.

That does make the list worthless. It goes way beyond other preferences like the Moody Blues or Simon and Garfunkel.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Michael Jackson number 2 makes the list a total joke.

Springsteen is important and needs to be on the list, but that is personal taste.
    No Buddy Holly is a joke.
    Madonna, how the heck is she on this list.
    IF its a rock and roll list why rap and hip hop and tech stars.
    If its the best artist of the last 50 60 years, only Cash from country makes no sense.  If you include Cash why not a great like George Jones.