Was there a band in the 60's or 70's that really could have used MTV

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Was there a band in the 60's or 70's that really could have used MTV

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Was there a band in the 60's or 70's that really could have used MTV

No, video killed the radio star.....NO pun intended!

'60's and 70's had TV shows to promote the music Soul Train, Solid Gold, Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin, Johnny Carson.......

Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Was there a band in the 60's or 70's that really could have used MTV:
    [QUOTE]
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I suppose a couple of Tawny Kitaen videos wouldn't have hurt them...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think many of the 60's bands were entertaining to watch on the Ed Sullivan Show, so these bands would have made good videos, provided they kept them to filmed footage of the bands playing their better songs (not making Devoesque or Talking Heads type short comedic films).

The Beatles made movies and the Monkees were mostly made for T.V. , so I would say both would have been big in videos...not that they "needed" them at all. I have a DVD of Rolling Stones music videos, they are quite entertaining ( mostly 80's hits , though, still I think Mick was a natural as a visual performer). Jim Morrison as a video star would have been too much...probably x-rated too. If you've ever seen the video of Hendrix Woodstock performance, it is probably my favorite music dvd, he was fun to watch.

In the 70's I think Cheap Trick would have been a natural for music videos. I am not just saying this to make you happy. Rick Nielson and his Huntz Hall impersonation is ( IMHO ) more fun to watch than to listen to.

I think music videos would have taken alot away from most of the psychedlic, Heavy Metal and Progressive Rock that was all the rage in those years. These types of music expand the imagination, and this is one of the things that drew me to these styles as I grew up as a very imaginative young man....only differeace now is I am not so young anymore, but I feel as if I will always retain a youthful imagination. This is something I would never want to lose.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I agree with Cheap Trick although they had their share with the Dream Police Album.

Zilla - do you remember Angel and Starz?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Was there a band in the 60's or 70's that really could have used MTV:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Cheap Trick although they had their share with the Dream Police Album. Zilla - do you remember Angel and Starz?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I remember the names, can't say any of the music stuck in my consciousness.

I had three phases in my life when I spent more time listening to college and alternative type radio and very little time listening to mainstream rock. One was in the mid 70's (discovered most of the punk  Iggy Pop ,Clash, Ramones...before they were popular, new wave groups like Boomtown Rats and XTC and groups like Greg Kihn, Johnny Guitar Watson and Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers), the 2nd was in the late 80's ( discovered the Alternative explosion with the Smiths, Psychedlic Furs, Hoodoo Gurus , The The and so many others) and the 3rd was in the 90's ( when I really got hooked on the groups such as Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots , Stan Ridgway, Bad Religion , and so many others).

I think through many of those phases alot of the groups you really like were not on my radar. I spent many years in search of music that was "left of center" or off the beaten path. During the 80's most of the Metal and Hard Rock bands I was listening to were groups that I had loved since the 70's , Preist, Ozzie, Scorpions, Whitesnake, B.O.C. and of course Deep Purple. When I would listen to something new it was usually in the Alternative, Post-Punk or Industrial genres.