What bands / artists / music grew on you over time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

What bands / artists / music grew on you over time?

Here's a follow-up question that lines up with some comments about being receptive to new music:

Can you pinpoint any bands or artists that, after listening to them and being "luke warm" at first, found yourself truly liking them and realized that they had grown on you?

Do any of those bands or music stack up alongside those that you liked right away (or maybe even surpassed them) ? 

Any thoughts?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Re: What bands / artists / music grew on you over time?

A couple leap to mind for me.

First, something of a shocker,  but Led Zeppelin.  In my youth they were just too popular and I was (still am to some extent) into obscure stuff.  And, something of a contradiction perhaps,  I didn't like the way they re-worked the old blues numbers.  I wanted note-for-note replicas. 

Silly, stupid boy.  Took quite a while to recognize that those reworking were their strength.  But at the time I was thinking "anyone can be cool listening to Zeppelin.  Try listening to bluegrass and country in suburban Boston in the early 70's." That took some nerve.

Flash forward a couple of decades and Pearl Jam did nothing for me.  I'd only catch the hits on the Car Radio. That might've been part of the problem, low fidelity.  The Seattle label didn't help either, as I considered Nirvana vastly overrated (still do!),  and bands like Screaming Trees to be unlistenable noise.  It was only a couple of years ago I started getting into them.

Some things never change I guess.  It's always nice to catch a band when they're still in their peak.  And I did, with some (J Geils, Allmans).  Wish I caught  both of these sooner. Makes me wonder what I'm missing at this very moment too!

And oh yeah, almost forgot, for yogafriend - Journey!  File that one under guilty pleasures.  Namaste.  Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

sigur ros. once i had the time to invest in them, it was well worth it.

neutral milk hotel.

band of horses definitely grew on me after infinite arms was the only cd in my car.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

One of the artists that comes to mind is Alison Krauss.  I was drawn to her voice, but a part of me was rebelling, asking myself, "what am I doing listening to bluegrass music?"  

If anything, I think Krauss is partly responsible for bringing a renewed interest in bluegrass to the collective ears of many of us.  She is so much more than "just bluegrass", and I totally grew to love her music. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I hated U2 when they were first being played.

I grew to like them around the time of 'Rattle and Hum.' I became a big fan and then ,about the time of 'Pop', I began to think they have never really been as great as all that.

Originally , I disliked Bruce Springsteen. The "Born to Run" song was overplayed so much, I just wanted to hate the guy because I was just so sick of it. The Nebraska album sold me and now I just skip over 'Born to Run' because just like Fleetwood Mac's 'Go Your Own Way' I have heard this song enough times for a lifetime.

Interestingly, I was not really a Stones fan growing up. I always loved the Beatles but I didn't really start listening to the Stones until around 1978 when I was a year or two out of high school. I was listening to WBRU, and they played the best 20 LPS of all time, or something like that, and the Stones 'Let it Bleed' LP was one of them. After hearing the entire album, I was hooked and could not get enough of the Rolling Stones. To this day, I can't understand why I didn't catch on sooner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: What bands / artists / music grew on you over time?:
    [QUOTE]One of the artists that comes to mind is Alison Krauss.  I was drawn to her voice, but a part of me was rebelling, asking myself, "what am I doing listening to bluegrass music?"   If anything, I think Krauss is partly responsible for bringing a renewed interest in bluegrass to the collective ears of many of us.  She is so much more than "just bluegrass", and I totally grew to love her music. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]You have to give in to your dark side. What other music has songs about betrayal, murder and death applied to such joyful melodies as bluegrass? One artist that grew on me over time is Carole King. When I first heard her I thought she was just too pop musicy, but as I really listened to her songs I kind of fell in love with them. Lou Reed too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Ditto on Springsteen.  I loathed most of Born in the USA and his 80s output, but then I discovered his earliest work and then Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Nebraska.  While I still dislike some of his more bombastic arrangements, he was and is a brilliant, highly literate songwriter in the mode of Dylan, Young, Cohen, Costello, et al. 

I just think that when he uses spare accompaniment like just his voice and a guitar is when he is at his best. "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" also opened my eyes to the man's talent and integrity as an artist and should be counted as among his best, IMO. (Rage Against The Machine does an intensely brilliant cover of the title track.)  That a song like "Across The Border" (or, for that matter, "Mansion On The Hill") can still have such relevance today is a tribute to quality songsmithing.  And like Dylan, few other artists' work lend themselves so readily to other interpretations.  Overrated?  Maybe, but he has so far put up an impressive, prolific body of work and entertained hundreds of millions of concertgoers (disclosure: I've never seen the boss live). 

Add: Tom Waits.  It took me a while, a few travels around the country and a keener interest in different types of jazz to really understand what Tom was saying (no easy feat) and where he is coming from.  Talk about your literate songwriters, it seems like there's nothing this guy hasn't seen, done, read or heard about.  Discovering, listening and then finally understanding Tom Waits made me feel like a member of some obscure club.  The man is a true artist (and a not-so-bad actor) in every sense of the word...just on a whole different level of performing musician and one that absolutely rewards the repeat listener.  Nighthawks At The Diner, Rain Dogs, and Mule Variations are all excellent discs, and "Tom Traubert's Blues" is one of my funerary dirges.  He's so good, he can make the worst-sounding places seem humorous:

""The jukebox has to take a leak/And the carpet needs a haircut, and the spotlight looks like a prison break/And the telephone's out of cigarettes/And the balcony is on the make/And the piano has been drinking, the piano has been drinking...(not me)...."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]The man is a true artist (and a not-so-bad actor) in every sense of the word.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]I really loved him in Down By Law. Have you seen it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What bands / artists / music grew on you over time? : I really loved him in Down By Law. Have you seen it?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah...he was great...Jim Jarmusch is a creative hero of mine.  Waits seems to get the plum parts and even though you know it's him, there's a lot of nuance to his performances.  I even liked him in the recent "Dr. Parnassus" curio.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What bands / artists / music grew on you over time? : Oh yeah...he was great...Jim Jarmusch is a creative hero of mine.  Waits seems to get the plum parts and even though you know it's him, there's a lot of nuance to his performances.  I even liked him in the recent "Dr. Parnassus" curio.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]He just seems to have that kind of face that screams character.As for Jim Jarmusch, I really loved Down By Law and Ghost Dog, but Dead Man was just a little too bizarre for me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I didn't like Creedence at first.  Something rubbed me the wrong way.  Eventually I came to not only like them but hold them in reverence.  But it didn't really happen until Cosmo's Factory, when they were almost done.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't like Creedence at first.  Something rubbed me the wrong way.  Eventually I came to not only like them but hold them in reverence.  But it didn't really happen until Cosmo's Factory, when they were almost done.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]Cosmo's Factory might have been the greatest rock and roll album of all time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Also I was never a big fan of Three Dog Night. I didn't mind them, but never was a big fan. Later on in the mid 90's , I started getting nostalgic for early 70's music that I might have missed , and rediscovered Three Dog Night. 'Celebrate' is really one of the excellent songs of that time. I never knew how much I missed these guys until I bought the 2 disc greatest hits CD and relived the early 70's.

I could say the same for Badfinger or Uriah Heep, two more groups from the same period that had a bunch of really good Lps. I never really fully appreciated them until the 90's. Uriah Heep were still together as late as 2007, pretty amazing in that not many groups of that era are still with us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What bands / artists / music grew on you over time? : Cosmo's Factory might have been the greatest rock and roll album of all time.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Definitely a contender.    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

i was never a fan of country, but my then 13 yo daughter was and i was forced to listen to it driving to and from quebec city one week to ski
    i dont know if it grew on me or wore me down but i kinda like it now

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 11isagoodyear. Show 11isagoodyear's posts

Stan Rodgers.
    I know some are like "who the hell is that"? My father used to torture me with Stan Rodgers 'Between the Breaks' live album. Now, I can't get enough of it.

For those with no clue. He was a late 70's folk singer from Nova Scotia. He ended up dying in the height of his prime (like so many others) in a plane crash. A very strong baritone voice and sung blue collar working songs from history. From whaling and fishing in the mid-late 19th century to farming and other songs about everyday life and death.

I swear one day it just clicked with me....

Bluegrass was another that I couldn't understand now can't get enough of.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Stan Rodgers. I know some are like "who the hell is that"? My father used to torture me with Stan Rodgers 'Between the Breaks' live album. Now, I can't get enough of it. For those with no clue. He was a late 70's folk singer from Nova Scotia. He ended up dying in the height of his prime (like so many others) in a plane crash. A very strong baritone voice and sung blue collar working songs from history. From whaling and fishing in the mid-late 19th century to farming and other songs about everyday life and death. I swear one day it just clicked with me.... Bluegrass was another that I couldn't understand now can't get enough of.
    Posted by 11isagoodyear[/QUOTE]If you love bluegrass I love you. Your post got me thinking about a buddy of mine who passed on a couple of years ago. He was a roadie for the Stones and Lynyrd Skynyrd among others. Tommy Decker. He always said that Rock and Roll and airplanes don't mix.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]One of the artists that comes to mind is Alison Krauss.  I was drawn to her voice, but a part of me was rebelling, asking myself, "what am I doing listening to bluegrass music?"   If anything, I think Krauss is partly responsible for bringing a renewed interest in bluegrass to the collective ears of many of us.  She is so much more than "just bluegrass", and I totally grew to love her music. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I knew there was a reason I like you! I love Alison Kraus. I actually didn't have to grow into liking her either, so she isn't one that fits the question you asked. I heard her cover of Shawn Colvin's "I Don't Know Why" on the radio but at first I didn't catch who was performing it. This is a good example of enjoying music with no preconceptions and without knowing who the artist was. I kept listening to the same radio station until finally I caught that it was Alison Kraus,. I went out and bought the album Every Time You Say Goodbye. After listeming to that wonderful album, I went about buying (almost) her entire catalogue. She is the only musical performer that I was able to turn my wife onto. (She can't stand most of the music I like). IMO, Alison Kraus is a true artist who performs the music she likes without any thought of selling it or becoming popular. Even the album with Robert Plant can't be called a sell-out because it is so low key and it is the type of music she has always played.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Bands that grew over time for me were:

1. Led Zeppelin: I started moving on to album rock stations when I was around 15-16 ('79-'80), so going from '70s pop and disco to a band like Zeppelin was a huge leap. But as my music tastes matured and started learning more about the evalution of rock, especially its blues roots, I started to appreciate and enjoy blues. The more I heard, Zeppelin, the more I liked them until they moved up among my top five bands.

2. Lynyrd Skynyrd: I wasn't real big on Skynyrd or Southern Rock at first, but over time, both became favorites -- Skynyrd especially, as I don't like all Southern Rock bands, but I do enjoy a lot of it now.

3. Rush: For some reason, I never really liked Rush when I was in high school. But without me knowing it, it reached a point when a Rush song came on the radio and instead of changing it or ignoring it, I though, "Cool -- Rush." And I'd crank it up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Makes me wonder what I'm missing at this very moment too! And oh yeah, almost forgot, for yogafriend - Journey!  File that one under guilty pleasures.  Namaste. 
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE] So Slim, does this mean that Journey "grew on you" and it wasn't as though you loved them the very first time you heard, "Don't Stop Believing" ?  By coincidence, I was talking to a 19-year old guy friend of mine recently, he and his 17 year old GF both love Journey!  He said he pretty much grew up with them (via his uncle) and they are one of the only classic rock bands he really loves.  As American as apple pie. 

As for yoga ... next time I do a head stand, I will do so in your honor.  Being upside down is absolute bliss, you should try it some time.           Or maybe not.

Bowing to you, Slim.
    Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Journey was in their prime while I was in my teens.  I found the lyrical content to be sappy at that point in time.  There wasn't any denying Steve Perry's chops even back then, but it still was all, well,  girly. 

That was then, I'm much wiser now.  And that stuff has aged well,  much better than what I was listening to back then.  Alot of Southern Rock was on my playlists, and most of that I now find unlistenable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What bands / artists / music grew on you over time? : I knew there was a reason I like you! I love Alison Kraus. I actually didn't have to grow into liking her either, so she isn't one that fits the question you asked. I heard her cover of Shawn Colvin's "I Don't Know Why" on the radio but at first I didn't catch who was performing it. This is a good example of enjoying music with no preconceptions and without knowing who the artist was. I kept listening to the same radio station until finally I caught that it was Alison Kraus,. I went out and bought the album Every Time You Say Goodbye. After listeming to that wonderful album, I went about buying (almost) her entire catalogue. She is the only musical performer that I was able to turn my wife onto. (She can't stand most of the music I like).
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]   Love it!  Seems there are quite a few Alison Krauss fans in this forum (let alone her fan base at large), and it's nice to have you all as kindred spirits.  The album "Now That I've Found You" put her on the map for me.  I also went crazy buying a bunch of her CDs to catch up as well.

And yes, this is a great example of hearing music without recognition of the artist, thinking it's awesome, and pursuing it.   That's totally different from someone handing you a CD and saying, "check out Alison Krauss, I think you'll like her music"  with that recognition factored in.

BTW, I also love that Krauss is on the Rounder label.  Love Rounder.  (yes, I know they were sold last year, but am pretty sure that part of the business is still under Rounder and has not lost its integrity).

I have to admit that I have not explored bluegrass music to a great extent.  I need to explore more of it. 

Another fiddler that also grew on me is Natalie MacMaster, another native of Nova Scotia.   I discovered her when I got interested in "modern" Celtic music, as she plays music from Ireland, Scotland, as well as American bluegrass and her native Cape Breton as well.   A great musician.  And she's also on Rounder.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What bands / artists / music grew on you over time? : He just seems to have that kind of face that screams character.As for Jim Jarmusch, I really loved Down By Law and Ghost Dog, but Dead Man was just a little too bizarre for me.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Dead Man worked on many levels for me, not least of which was the haunting soundtrack by Neil Young and the main character's juxtaposition/nom de plume of William Blake.  This is heady stuff, philosophically and one of Jarmusch's most complete, fully realized films, IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What bands / artists / music grew on you over time? :    Love it!  Seems there are quite a few Alison Krauss fans in this forum (let alone her fan base at large), and it's nice to have you all as kindred spirits.  The album "Now That I've Found You" put her on the map for me.  I also went crazy buying a bunch of her CDs to catch up as well. And yes, this is a great example of hearing music without recognition of the artist, thinking it's awesome, and pursuing it.   That's totally different from someone handing you a CD and saying, "check out Alison Krauss, I think you'll like her music"  with that recognition factored in. BTW, I also love that Krauss is on the Rounder label.  Love Rounder.  (yes, I know they were sold last year, but am pretty sure that part of the business is still under Rounder and has not lost its integrity). I have to admit that I have not explored bluegrass music to a great extent.  I need to explore more of it.  Another fiddler that also grew on me is Natalie MacMaster , another native of Nova Scotia.   I began to hear her when I got interested in "modern" Celtic music, as she plays music from Ireland, Scotland, as well as American bluegrass and her native Cape Breton as well.   A great musician.  And she's also on Rounder.   :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I first heard Alison way back singing duet with Trey Anastasio on Phish's "If I Could"...the voice of an angel.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Devo is a group that I at first dismissed as a joke novelty act. My brother liked them and in that way I was exposed to them. Over time, I came to enjoy their quirky songs.

Also add my name to the fans of Tom Waits. And he didn't have to grow on me. But I suppose when Howlin' Wolf is your favorite artist, Tom Waits doesn't really sound so rough.