What does your avatar say about you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Re: What does your avatar say about you?

I do agree that the avatar you choose does say something aobut you, even if you're not sure what.  I know there are some images I would never use.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: What does your avatar say about you?:
    [QUOTE]Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but the only way your avatar might say completely nothing about you is if you enlist a stranger to pick your avatar.  Even then, it's not quite random - they know your gender, how you dress, a place you frequent, and that you are bold enough to go up to a stranger and ask for such a favor.  Hm, how could come come up with an avatar that says nothing about them...? ETA:  I'm not intending to be cantakerous, by the way - it just truly intrigues me. 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Smile
    Bottom  line:  I come here to discuss music.    That is what this forum is for, and I like keeping to that topic.  

yogi / peace / out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I never asserted it had to be the key to the person's heart and soul. Wink

I think the truth lies somewhere in between.  It can't say everything about you, but neither can it say nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does your avatar say about you? :  Men are so much cooler than women. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I have found that to be untrue.

I will now list some very "cool" women:

Whoopi Goldberg
    Tracy Chapman
    Joni Mitchell
    Racquel Welch
    Grace Slick
    Nichelle Nichols ( aka Lt. Uhura)
    Barbara Bain
    Lesley Ann Warren

Men and women can be equally "cool", however, large reptiles with big teeth would be much cooler, 9 times out of 10.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

Mine indicates that I like to ride bikes. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Only other one used being a screenshot from a youtube post of a concert w/ Layne Staley.

I dunno; perhaps it refers to some remnants of youthful defiance: I'm going to do this life thing my way. 

"I wanna get have my kicks before the whole sh*thouse goes up in flames, allright!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I certainly agree that in most cases the avatar will reveal something about you.  Of course you could deliberately choose something at random.

Getting back to the poster analogy, if a guy has some posters of women on his wall, what does this reveal about him?  Assuming that this is a 'normal' situation, does it say anything more than 'I like girls and these are some I like to look at?'  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If it's a calendar, sure, that's what it means.  If it's a poster that someone flipped through a bin and chose to put on the wall, it probably has at least slightly more significance than that, but maybe not.  There are lots of guys I could have found sexy and put on my wall in college, but Sting was that AND I admired him as a musician.  It's not much, but something a little more significant than just his physical features made me choose him.  Maybe liking a girl in a movie and finding her hot, for instance.

How would you choose a picture at complete random unless you went to a photo source blindfolded and threw a dart (or moused around and clicked when the mood struck)?   Being a math geek, words like "random" and how people use them intrigue me more than it should, I wholeheartedly admit.  I'm not being argumentative, per se, just curious how you'd go about it.  I can't think of a way, actually, to make it totally random.  You'd have to choose a collection of photos to throw a dart at, and collections are never put together randomly...?

Interesting dilemma...at least in my crazy mind it is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I certainly agree that in most cases the avatar will reveal something about you.  Of course you could deliberately choose something at random. Getting back to the poster analogy, if a guy has some posters of women on his wall, what does this reveal about him?  Assuming that this is a 'normal' situation, does it say anything more than 'I like girls and these are some I like to look at?'  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Hfx,
    Since I was the one who referenced the thread ... ha ha! 

If it's a guy of a certain age (up through college), yes, I think it's eye candy.  I can't see any reason to look at  it more seriously than that, can you?    Girls have eye candy posters on their walls, too ... so why can't guys? Even in our parents' day, they escaped into this sort of thing.  If a person feels it's not "PC" then that's certainly their opinion.  Sometimes I thnk that's just a little uptight. 

The thread I mentioned, was just in fun, as I said, and I found it hilarious!!  I won't say who participated, but some of the guys post in the music forum (guess who?!!)

But after a certain age ... not so sure.   Let's not go there ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

my avatar just says that i like beer and dogs. which isnt necessarily always true.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does your avatar say about you? : Hfx, Since I was the one who referenced the thread ... ha ha!  If it's a guy of a certain age (up through college), yes, I think it's eye candy.  I can't see any reason to look at  it more seriously than that, can you?    Girls have eye candy posters on their walls, too ... so why can't guys? Even in our parents' day, they escaped into this sort of thing.  If a person feels it's not "PC" then that's certainly their opinion.  Sometimes I thnk that's just a little uptight.  The thread I mentioned, was just in fun, as I said, and I found it hilarious!!  I won't say who participated, but some of the guys post in the music forum (guess who?!!)  But after a certain age ... not so sure.   Let's not go there ...

I know the thread you mean.  If I'm not mistaken one of the first pictures someone put up was the famous poster of Farrah Fawcett, the one that sold something like 12 million copies.  I'll use that poster to help me with the point I'm fumbling toward here.

Let's say that back in the day I was one of the guys who had that poster of Farrah Fawcett on my wall.  What would that say about me as an individual?

Not very much, in my opinion, because 12 million other people had the same poster.  Kind of a lowest common denominator thing.

If on the other hand you found a poster of, say, Catherine Deneuve in my room, maybe it would you tell you more about me.  Maybe it would show a little more of my real self because I made a choice that was more out of the ordinary.

On the other hand, I might have chosen the Deneuve poster because I was a pretentious poseur trying to look more worldly and sophisticated than the guy next door with the Farrah poster.

We control the image so it might tell the truth about us or it might be a lie. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

bob marley, radiohead, biggie smalls, and george carlin are on my wall. for the women, i have the wonderful world wide web :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does your avatar say about you? : I know the thread you mean.  If I'm not mistaken one of the first pictures someone put up was the famous poster of Farrah Fawcett, the one that sold something like 12 million copies.  I'll use that poster to help me with the point I'm fumbling toward here. Let's say that back in the day I was one of the guys who had that poster of Farrah Fawcett on my wall.  What would that say about me as an individual? Not very much, in my opinion, because 12 million other people had the same poster.  Kind of a lowest common denominator thing. If on the other hand you found a poster of, say, Catherine Deneuve in my room, maybe it would you tell you more about me.  Maybe it would show a little more of my real self because I made a choice that was more out of the ordinary. On the other hand, I might have chosen the Deneuve poster because I was a pretentious poseur trying to look more worldly and sophisticated than the guy next door with the Farrah poster. We control the image so it might tell the truth about us or it might be a lie. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I had that same poster of Farrah ..... but i think I used it for something completely different ..... but that's just me

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does your avatar say about you? : Hfx, Since I was the one who referenced the thread ... ha ha!  If it's a guy of a certain age (up through college), yes, I think it's eye candy.  I can't see any reason to look at  it more seriously than that, can you?    Girls have eye candy posters on their walls, too ... so why can't guys? Even in our parents' day, they escaped into this sort of thing.  If a person feels it's not "PC" then that's certainly their opinion.  Sometimes I thnk that's just a little uptight.  The thread I mentioned, was just in fun, as I said, and I found it hilarious!!  I won't say who participated, but some of the guys post in the music forum (guess who?!!)  But after a certain age ... not so sure.   Let's not go there ...

???????????????????????????????????????????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does your avatar say about you? : I had that same poster of Farrah ..... but i think I used it for something completely different ..... but that's just me
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

LOL I was actually trying to avoid going down that road...but since you went there, I will admit to having a good collection of certain magazines in those days.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

My avatar says nothing about me except that I'm a lifetime Red Sox fan and some posters here really pi##ed me off when they were dissing papi last April.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]My avatar is my own original artwork - first digital art I did (and I did it freehand using only a mouse..no stylus, no drawing pad).  I just started using it for everything - my Facebook Avi, my linkedin Avi, my twitter avi...the countless forums I belong to (BDC is the only one I visit regularly, actually, as this is my fun forum..the rest are all "work" forums...and lately I've been working too much to pop on every day...) I guess it says "I like purple." Which is true.  I do.
    Posted by Yoshimi25[/QUOTE]

I think a samurai in your hand would have been an excellent touch.