What song or songs by your favorite bands or any band really shock you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

What song or songs by your favorite bands or any band really shock you?

When I first heard Miss You by the Stones, I was somewhat taken aback. I don't know why, but I really wasn't expecting that. Also, Shiney, Happy People by REM.

Now I was actually happy with Miss You but I hated Shiney Happy People. I really wanted to go find the boys in REM and beat the cr ap out of them all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: What song or songs by your favorite bands or any band really shock you?

I don't know if "shock" is the correct term, but I can say I was certainly puzzled by Kiss' Beth when I was 12 or 13 (or whatever I was).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Revolution 9 Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't know about "shock" , but jessey, I share your dislike for "Shiny Happy People"...and cannot believe it is one of the most played R.E.M. songs. It S*CKS in the highest degree ( compared to the real good R.E.M. tunes).

I was surprised when I heard the Alice Cooper song, "Only Women Bleed" many, many years ago. This showed a softer, sensitive side to the guy that a few years earlier was singing about blowing up a school building or was singing , 'no more Mr. Nice Guy."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Starship "We Built This City"

Sad to see the once great psychedelic rock band stoop to that level!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: What song or songs by your favorite bands or any band really shock you?:
    [QUOTE]I don't know if "shock" is the correct term, but I can say I was certainly puzzled by Kiss' Beth when I was 12 or 13 (or whatever I was).
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    Yep, I agree ... very much unlike anything they ever did.

I'd also say "Patience" by GNR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

On Zeppelin 3 I was a bit taken aback by 'Hats off to Harper'.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

pretty much every radiohead album after the bends the first time through. 

although even the bends was shockingly better than pablo honey

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I was also taken by surprise by Robert Zimmerman in the late 70's when he wrote the great song , "You've Got To Serve Somebody", a sharp change in Dylan's somgwriting it was a very Christian song almost appropriate for Sunday in church...actually forget the 'almost' , it is a song that should and could be sung in church.

I am not a religious person, but I enjoy this song and think it's Dylan at his best. When you think of the guy who wrote songs about Hurricane Carter, and many other hard-hitting subjects , this song is reminescent of the Harrison songs from a few years earlier. A strange turn for Dylan that I did not anticipate at all. Kind of shocking, in a way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: What song or songs by your favorite bands or any band really shock you?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What song or songs by your favorite bands or any band really shock you? : Yep, I agree ... very much unlike anything they ever did. I'd also say "Patience" by GNR.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Considering Sweet Child of Mine, I was not so surprised by Patience.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know about "shock" , but jessey, I share your dislike for "Shiny Happy People"...and cannot believe it is one of the most played R.E.M. songs. It S*CKS in the highest degree ( compared to the real good R.E.M. tunes). I was surprised when I heard the Alice Cooper song, "Only Women Bleed" many, many years ago. This showed a softer, sensitive side to the guy that a few years earlier was singing about blowing up a school building or was singing , 'no more Mr. Nice Guy."
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Nice pick up on Only Women Bleed. And I thought this was a pleasant surprise.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What song or songs by your favorite bands or any band really shock you? : Considering Sweet Child of Mine, I was not so surprised by Patience.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    I don't see the comparison. "Patience" is completely an acoustic ballad. Sweet Child" is an electric rocker with Slash's famous intro.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Good call on Only women bleed and you've got to serve somebody.Both songs were out of character for them but still are pretty good songs.
     I think BTO's "Looking out for number one" falls into that category as well.It's a good tune,but just something I didn't really expect from them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As far as the Stones are concerned, I thought 'Miss You' worked as a change of pace for them, but 'Emotional Rescue' didn't. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Casual fan of the Foo Fighters but that song "Wheels" was downright awful.. sounds like somehting from 5 for Fighting or Nickelback or what one of those groups

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruj-QBgoxN8

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]pretty much every radiohead album after the bends the first time through.  although even the bends was shockingly better than pablo honey
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Knives Out. Bon Appetite!