What was the first blues song you heard that really turned your crank?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

What was the first blues song you heard that really turned your crank?

So I'm probably blow my rep as a rootsy down home music afficianado right now, but as much as I love Muddy Waters, Wolf, Little Walter, Robert Johnson and Etta James, I have to confess that the first blues song I heard that really turned me on was Before You Accuse Me on Cosmo's Factory. Are there ay other confessions out there?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: What was the first blues song you heard that really turned your crank?

Would love to see some examples of your blues songs.  This is a genre where I am lagging behind in terms of my exposure and experimentation.   

Does Aretha (R-E-S-P-E-C-T) (sock it to me) count?    :)

How about "CC Rider" ?   Hot, hot song -- blues?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: What was the first blues song you heard that really turned your crank?:
    [QUOTE]Would love to see some examples of your blues songs.  This is a genre where I am lagging behind in terms of my exposure and experimentation.    Does Aretha (R-E-S-P-E-C-T) (sock it to me) count?    :) How about "CC Rider" ?   Hot, hot song -- blues?  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]CC Rider is definitely a blues tune.  Respect I think falls more into the soul genre.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Chronologically speaking I would say it was 'House of the Rising Sun' by the Animals.

Then Hendrix's 'Red House' turned it up a notch.

And Zeppelin's 'Since I've Been Loving You' was the clincher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

I've always had a decent taste for the straight up blues, but after a bit the monotony sets in for me. One of the reasons I listen to the bands that I do is the way the songs are different from each other...in more ways than just the key.  The vast majority of blues songs are 12 bar blues, generally with a 1-4-5 chord progression (even if you don't know your scales, it is immediately recognizable).  

I recognize that most, if not all of the music i listen today was spawned or at least has some significant roots in the blues, and I have the utmost respect for the greats...but the only blues I listen to is usually some type of hybrid, i.e. The Black Keys.

I think it has to do with that when I started listening to music, it wasn't really prevalent and my father played more jazz/classic rock not rooted in the blues.  It doesn't have that sort of down-home, nostalgic affect on me for that reason, I think. 

Another reason is that whenever I jam with someone who tends to lean towards the blues, there's only so much you can do before you start to get bored...especially on bass.  In closing, it wasn't the blues that really got to me, it was always just sort of there.  For me, it's like asking which floppy disc computer game for MS DOS really got me into video games (none of them did).

edit: I never thought of House of the Rising Sun as a blues song, more of a folk song with bluesy vocals.  I definitely dig that song though, and if that falls into the vein then that's what got me going.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Well carnie, my soul brother, you knew I'd be drawn to this thread. Funny thing is though, I can't remember if there was a single song that turned me on to the blues.

What I can remember is that I started to get into the blues before there were CD's and all the great blues re-issues. I was disparately searching for McKinley Morganfield aka Muddy Waters on vinyl and had no luck. I think the first blues I managed to purchase was a T-Bone Walker collection. Now he is not the same kind of blues as the down home variety, he is more uptown in his sound with the bigger band and horns and all. But I liked his stuff and kept on my quest for the down home blues. I finally did mange to dig up some records from Muddy, the Wolf, and the rest of the gang at Chess records and of course I was hooked.

For those who don't dig the pure blues, take a look at the the variety of performers who fall under that umbrella. More modern practitioners like Buddy Guy really can rock out and had a big influence on many rock players. T-Bone Walker and B.B. King bring a more lively uptempo sound to the blues.

Now I admit, I've been known to say that the blues is just one song, but what a great song it is. Each artist brings himself to that song and that's where the variety comes in. And don't forget a rule breaker like John Lee H00ker who doesn't strictly adhere to the blues format.

I guess it's hard to explain, but easier to feel. When I hear the blues, it just makes sense. The blues is the musical home I always come back to for some down home comfort.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Note quite sure...

...but I'll cast another vote for "Statesboro Blues".  Of the thousands of times I've heard it, it never gets old...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You don't "hear" the Blues, you "feel" the Blues.

I can't pinpoint a particular time when I started "feeling" the Blues.

I know a song by Eric Clapton called 'Blues Power' that is a Rock song but it is one of the songs that uses the term 'Blues' and I always loved that song. I became a fan of Rory Gallagher back aroung 1977 and I was hooked on Blues rock. I think B.B. King was the first true Blues artist I could say I really liked.

I know there are plenty of Bluesy Rock songs that I heard way back when, 'Since I've Been Loving You', 'Mistreated', 'Red House', 'Crossroads' etc.

Like Rock music, I have a lifetime of exposure to Blues and somewhere along the way I figured out I was a Blues fan.

When I heard the Yardbirds,the Butterfield Blues Band, Ten Years After and the original Fleetwood Mac, I knew Blues was great, I then started listening to the likes of Muddy Waters, Lightning Hopkins, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Son House, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Guy, Sonny Boy Williamson, Albert Collins, Robert Cray....etc., etc.,etc.,

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Muddy Waters... Mannish Boy when I was a freshman in high school over Joe kelly's house had never heard anything like it and was totally blown away....

WOOOOOOOOOO YAH.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: What was the first blues song you heard that really turned your crank?:
    [QUOTE]I never thought of House of the Rising Sun as a blues song, more of a folk song with bluesy vocals.  I definitely dig that song though, and if that falls into the vein then that's what got me going.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

My cursory research shows that House of the Rising Sun is defined as a folk blues song, so I guess it's one of those happy occasions where we're both right...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Somewhere in the late 80's there was a little of series of albums put out called 'Houserockin' Blues' that featured some great stuff by Johnny Winter, Albert Collins, Albert King, Buddy Guy etc.  If you're like me and you like your blues with some really scorching guitar this was a goldmine.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Smokestack Lightning is up there, too...

...along with John Lee's Boom Boom in The Blues Bros.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Somewhere in the late 80's there was a little of series of albums put out called 'Houserockin' Blues' that featured some great stuff by Johnny Winter, Albert Collins, Albert King, Buddy Guy etc.  If you're like me and you like your blues with some really scorching guitar this was a goldmine.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]I remember that series. It was on Alligator Records, and was great stuff indeed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Here's a couple of Blues artists I really enjoy:

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin.

17. This post has been removed.