What's in heavy rotation? Anything in particular?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

What's in heavy rotation? Anything in particular?

Have you landed on any albums or artists that have stayed in heavy rotation lately?

Also, any new(ish) releases / purchases (the purchases don't have to be "new" -- just new to your collection) that you're especially pleased with?   

Any and all mentions are welcome.   

Two for me:

I'm having a love fest with Band of Horses.     Very heavy rotation for several weeks now. I've had to fight with myself not to fill in the albums that I don't (yet) own.    They're a mid-2000's band; alt / Americana, or indie / Southern rock, which ever way you may see them.   They're on my favorite label, Sub Pop.    

I don't know if this is accurate, but I recently read a quote that said something along the lines, "if Gram Parsons had lived and ultimately joined the Eagles, they might have ended up sounding like Band of Horses."    After reading that, even though Band of Horses were not influenced by the Eagles,  BoH does have an uncannily similar alt / indie way of harmonizing that's similar to vintage Eagles.   But BoH is much, much, sweeter --  and less polished.    Love them.   (BTW, my yoga instructor used a BoH song on a recent playlist). :)

Also: Lykke Li's "Wounded Rhyme"  is also in heavy rotation for my ears.   Also, from mid-2000's -- Swedish, young, and (my usual) indie dream pop.   Hypnotic, and well produced album.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: What's in heavy rotation? Anything in particular?

I'm still listening to some of the CD's I bought myself for Christmas quite heavily:

Black Keys - El Camino

Jack White - Blunderbuss

Joe Bonamassa - Dust Bowl

Pixies - Doolittle

And when I need to just space out in the car I have two CD's I made up from early Tangerine Dream albums.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Richard Thompson

Jim James

Stanley Jordan

Lucero

Umphrey's McGee

Air Traffic Controller

Flaming Lips

Dispatch

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

While spending around 5 hours mowing the lawn on Sunday I listened to two CD's from "Have a Nice Decade: The 70's Pop Culture Box". Here is one song from that collection that really had me groovin'.

I'll Take You There - The Staple Singers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY3vgBzgYn4

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I'm still listening to some of the CD's I bought myself for Christmas quite heavily:

Black Keys - El Camino

Jack White - Blunderbuss

Joe Bonamassa - Dust Bowl

Pixies - Doolittle

And when I need to just space out in the car I have two CD's I made up from early Tangerine Dream albums.

Glad you're happy with the albums, esp. the ones that were "forum inspired", if you know what I mean.  :)    

(BTW, cute about your daughter's singing voice.   ("Time After Time" is classic for the ages.)  Judging from some comments on a youtube of that song, there was a recent performance of it by someone on a reality singing contest (The Voice); there are many younger teens who had never heard it prior to that.   How funny that the reality singing shows feature so many old classics, giving so many great songs exposure to younger listeners.   :)   

And while you're here, a big announcement was made re: a McCartney and Wings DVD release.   Not sure if this is something you, or anyone else, would rush out to buy, or put on the back burner, but either way, consider this a FYI.  

Paul McCartney's "Rockshow" was finally released on DVD

Released today (June 10th) on DVD and Blu-ray is Paul McCartney & Wings' one and only concert film, Rockshow. The movie, which captures a full 30-song set from McCartney's 1976 Wings Over America tour, features performances filmed in New York City, Los Angeles, and Seattle. The disc's release date falls on the 37th anniversary of the Seattle Kingdome date.

Rockshow kicks off with quite possibly McCartney's hottest opening number -- a 10-minute medley of "Venus And Mars/Rock Show" coupled with Wings' 1973 Top 10 smash "Jet." For years, the story going around was that "Jet" was actually inspired by the McCartney's Labrador puppy -- but McCartney explains it was another of the family's pets that sparked off his legendary whimsical imagination: "Yeah, we had a little pony for the kids in Scotland, it was called, 'Jet.' And, y'know, the truth is that's just a starting point. That's what I often do and I think that does often puzzle people a bit."

Full 30-song setlist:

"Venus And Mars/Rock Show/Jet" 

"Let Me Roll It" 

"Spirits Of Ancient Egypt" 

"Medicine Jar" 

"Maybe I'm Amazed" 

"Call Me Back Again" 

"Lady Madonna" 

"The Long And Winding Road" 

"Live And Let Die" 

"Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)" 

"Richard Cory"

"Bluebird" 

"Blackbird" 

"Yesterday" 

"You Gave Me The Answer" 

"Magneto And Titanium Man" 

"Go Now" 

"My Love" 

"Listen To What The Man Said" 

"Let 'Em In" 

"Time To Hide" 

"Silly Love Songs" 

"Beware My Love" 

"Letting Go" 

"Band On The Run" 

"Hi, Hi, Hi" 

"Soily"

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=1981770

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Richard Thompson

Jim James

Stanley Jordan

Lucero

Umphrey's McGee

Air Traffic Controller

Flaming Lips

Dispatch

I went through a huge Richard Thompson phase in the late 80's, early 90's. Shoot Out the Lights is one of my all-time favorite albums. I love his guitar work on the title track. Blows me away every time I listen to it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

And while you're here, a big announcement was made re: a McCartney and Wings DVD release.   Not sure if this is something you, or anyone else, would rush out to buy, or put on the back burner, but either way, consider this a FYI.  

I actually have a bootleg copy of this, but the quality is awful, so this is good news.  Definitely on the list of possible future purchases.  Thanks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

A few newer releases I'm listening to:

Phosphoreresent - Los Angeles(Thanks to Yoga)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsZiKSCAwY0

Ghost Loft - So High

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLSBmDk_x7w

Crowded House  - Saturday Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXzXxxfVrcA

Mazzy Star  - Common Burn(New Album)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ayH09psxc

Silent Rider Radiohead Mix - Nude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hPQHZ2JoJw 

Blur - Out of time(oldie, but goodie)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E-ndeuo4PY

Editing on this site is becoming difficult again....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Ive listend to The National "Trouble Wil Find Me" Continuously now for a couple of weeks. A brilliant album.. They are so talented...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

I actually have a bootleg copy of this, but the quality is awful, so this is good news.  Definitely on the list of possible future purchases.  Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

It was splattered all over the music news.  I read that this is the first time it's been commercially available in 30 years, so it will be nice to upgrade the old bootleg copy.   

Sir Paul still makes the headlines -- absolutely incredible.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Air Traffic Controller

Dispatch

Not sure you'd agree with this, but in a write-up of the recent Dispatch / Guster concert, the reviewer seemed to think, while both bands were excellent, Guster has stayed the course for a longer period of time, and more steadfastly, and it shows in their depth and delivery.   He didn't say it in so many words, but I got the impression that he inferred that Guster could just as easily headlined  (Guster played for an hour; Dispatch, for two hours).   He was laudatory about both bands, don't get me wrong.   Guster = depth.   Dispatch = feel good energy -- something like that.   

Were you there by any chance?  I only know the Dispatch songs I've heard in WERS and a few youtube videos I've checked out.    Do they have a thing for jamming?    

Same with ATC re: songs I've heard on WERS.   Meanwhile, WERS has been doing an excellent job lately, with so many excellent segues from old to new and back again.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

[QUOTE]

Richard Thompson

Jim James

Stanley Jordan

Lucero

Umphrey's McGee

Air Traffic Controller

Flaming Lips

Dispatch

I went through a huge Richard Thompson phase in the late 80's, early 90's. Shoot Out the Lights is one of my all-time favorite albums. I love his guitar work on the title track. Blows me away every time I listen to it.

[/QUOTE]

I was re-inspired by his show earlier this spring to check out some of the more 'recent' works, like Mock Tudor and The Old Kit Bag.

The man is an otherworldly player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Air Traffic Controller

Dispatch

Not sure you'd agree with this, but in a write-up of the recent Dispatch / Guster concert, the reviewer seemed to think, while both bands were excellent, Guster has stayed the course for a longer period of time, and more steadfastly, and it shows in their depth and delivery.   He didn't say it in so many words, but I got the impression that he inferred that Guster could just as easily headlined  (Guster played for an hour; Dispatch, for two hours).   He was laudatory about both bands, don't get me wrong.   Guster = depth.   Dispatch = feel good energy -- something like that.   

Were you there by any chance?  I only know the Dispatch songs I've heard in WERS and a few youtube videos I've checked out.    Do they have a thing for jamming?    

Same with ATC re: songs I've heard on WERS.   Meanwhile, WERS has been doing an excellent job lately, with so many excellent segues from old to new and back again.   

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.  I didn't read the review (paywalled), and no, I wasn't there...(I opted for Dark Star Orchestra at the beach instead.)...though I have friends who were.

To me, they're just different bands from the same era/place if not the same cloth.  Personally, I don't care who opens or closes...that's between the bands...but I heard that a few Guster fans were a bit irked....they ARE a devoted lot.  (I'm seeing Guster again @ Tanglewood in July, fwiw.)

Recently, I had found a Dispatch double-live album in my stacks that I only vaguely remember having.  I was only slightly familiar with them back in the day; then they were just gone.  Last year, I picked up their most recent disc off the strength of "Circles Round The Sun" and started exploring from there.  Good stuff, and highly original for their somewhat loaded genre.

Dispatch is more of a jam-type band, but with a rock/world edge (a harder O.A.R., maybe).  Guster is more lush, pop, songcraft and goofy.  The combo of the two wouldn't faze me at all.

One thing is that they both certainly take their sweet time recording new music....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hmmm.  I didn't read the review (paywalled), and no, I wasn't there...(I opted for Dark Star Orchestra at the beach instead.)...though I have friends who were.

To me, they're just different bands from the same era/place if not the same cloth.  Personally, I don't care who opens or closes...that's between the bands...but I heard that a few Guster fans were a bit irked....they ARE a devoted lot.  (I'm seeing Guster again @ Tanglewood in July, fwiw.)

Recently, I had found a Dispatch double-live album in my stacks that I only vaguely remember having.  I was only slightly familiar with them back in the day; then they were just gone.  Last year, I picked up their most recent disc off the strength of "Circles Round The Sun" and started exploring from there.  Good stuff, and highly original for their somewhat loaded genre.

Dispatch is more of a jam-type band, but with a rock/world edge (a harder O.A.R., maybe).  Guster is more lush, pop, songcraft and goofy.  The combo of the two wouldn't faze me at all.

One thing is that they both certainly take their sweet time recording new music....

While it may seem superficial re: opening or closing -- the headliner gets 2/3 of the concert time, warm up band got (in this case) 1/3.    So that might be why the Guster fans were irked.   That, and maybe thinking that Guster shouldn't play unless they headline?   It's to their credit that they're not hung up, IMO, as the review indicated  they fully delivered.   

A Dispatch track I listened to on youtube, was older, from a live concert, about 7-8 minutes, called "Passerby"  -- a considerably short jam -- but really nice.   Guster at Tanglewood sounds like fun; nice venue.  Didn't know they had bands such as that as part of the summer program --  that's a nice surprise.    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Bump

Good thread idea. This is new to me, Fleet Foxes  album "Sun Giant," another forum inspired band mentioned by Matty. I have been listening to it all weekend.

Fleet Foxes- Mykonos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSB74LZDNr0

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

For me there's only one record this year (until we release our next couple  ;-))   Thee Spivs "The Crowds and the Sounds".  I have no interest in it other than being mates with the band.  To me, the Clash were the sound of 1970s London (I didn't move here until 1989) and Thee Spivs are the sound of contemporary London.  They are brilliant, IMO.  Here is a lovely, surreal video from their first LP:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62h0BLD3DKI

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

More Spivs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6RtiAmyoT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p6rOnszg1g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71znNk1q_RA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP3U22u1hKI

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Joe Bonnamassa. All recordings I have.

A blues genius, born with an old soul.

Right you are. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I don't like straight rock'n'roll at all, but there's a band from Rome called "Giuda" (jew-da) that are simply amazing.  If you like Glam, check them out immediately. One of the best live bands I've seen in years and I don't even like what they do very much.  Foot-on-the-floor excitement from start to finish.  I actually woke up the next morning with a fractured rib;  was not wasted at all - not "necessary" at proper gigs - it was just crazy.  http://giuda.net/

These videos don't do them justice, but you might get a sense of what they're about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvhNEAk5ZMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm-16zmqUfQ

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

I don't like straight rock'n'roll at all, but there's a band from Rome called "Giuda" (jew-da) that are simply amazing.  If you like Glam, check them out immediately. One of the best live bands I've seen in years and I don't even like what they do very much.  Foot-on-the-floor excitement from start to finish.  I actually woke up the next morning with a fractured rib;  was not wasted at all - not "necessary" at proper gigs - it was just crazy.  http://giuda.net/

These videos don't do them justice, but you might get a sense of what they're about.

Sound a bit like a band I saw at the  Paradise in Boston...can't remember which one....sound good

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE]

Sound a bit like a band I saw at the  Paradise in Boston...can't remember which one....sound good

[/QUOTE]

I was in Boston for a few weeks this month, saw a few gigs, and was very impressed with the continuing greatness of the Nervous Eaters.  Steve Cataldo can still sing and the band was tight.

Also saw the Cuban Heels the night before I left.  Gonna try to persuade JJ, Jeff, Paul, Rick and Peter to find a way to tour Europe.  Would be amazing.