What's your favorite music video?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EmilyRose21. Show EmilyRose21's posts

What's your favorite music video?

Today marks the 32d anniversary of MTV's launch, so we're wondering: what's your favorite music video you've ever seen? If you need a refresher on some of the throwbacks, check out our round-up of the first 15 videos ever played on the network. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bartor. Show bartor's posts

Re: What's your favorite music video?

Money for Nothing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bartor. Show bartor's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

No particular one video.

That's a pretty good list - gotta put The Perfect Drug by NIN over Closer though.

I'd say Tool's videos were always great, as was "Closer" (NIN). I also generally really enjoyed Alice in Chain's video.

All shared twisted graphics. The rock/grunge/metal videos of the early 90s were generally like that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I used to enjoy many of the videos in the early days of MTV. I know of a few that I can't even remember the name of the group or artist. But, I do recall that DEVO, INXS, Adam Ant, Thompson Twins and all those 80's groups really got lots of exposure that they may not have had on radio. This , I think, was a good thing, Like it or hate it, early MTV provided and outlet for so many new artists to get noticed by people ( like me) who may have ignored them in favor of the older guard ( Bad Company, ZZTOP ....who had a extensive presence on MTV ...Rolling Stones, Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac, etc.)

By the way, I get nostalgic for the 80s sound every now and again, and this is when I bring out me Best Of Howard Jones and my Psychedlic Furs CDs and go back to a simpler time.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlPeach. Show AlPeach's posts

In response to EmilyRose21's comment:

Today marks the 32d anniversary of MTV's launch, so we're wondering: what's your favorite music video you've ever seen? If you need a refresher on some of the throwbacks, check out our round-up of the first 15 videos ever played on the network. 

"Once in a Lifetime" Talking Heads

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joey G. Show Joey G's posts

Hard to say favorite music videos. But odd to celebrate a channel with "15 music videos" considering that they have not shown a music video since the 90's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from iwanttogohome. Show iwanttogohome's posts

I was watching the minute MTV began....Video Killed the Radio Star will always be #1.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

And there was this one Aphex Twins video....

Come to Daddy?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-9UvrLyj3k

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

"Learn To Fly," Foo Fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQ_3sBZEm0

"The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead," XTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYupSHWEJxA

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmafb. Show gmafb's posts

Girls, Girls, Girls by Motley Crue. No explanation needed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Ah Ha - Take On Me

Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

+1 on Sledgehammer and Once in a Lifetime, but my top choice is MJ's Thriller

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

GNR - Welcome to the jungle

Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit

Run DMA - Walk this way

Metallica - One

Warrent - Cherry pie (Bobbi Brown yum)

Whitesnake - Here I go again

Men without hats - Safety dance

Nena - 99 Luftballons

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Promises in the Dark - P. Benatar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

John Fogerty "Centerfield" I like the old time baseball clips together with the music. Even today if I hear it, my mind goes right to the video. 

Guns And Roses "Welcome To The Jungle" I always loved videos of the band playing the song with their instruments more than I did the obscure/artsy videos. That original line up and that song were just so raw for the time, and amazing. Great video!

The Bangles "Walk Like An Egyptian" Girls playing Rock & Roll and Suzanna Hoffs fronting...enough said.

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers "Don't Come Around Here No More" Tom as the Mad Hatter in Alice In Wonderland, great idea for the creepy kind of song it is.

Too many.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

New Order - "True Faith"  (Everything about the 80s seems captured here, but the video itself defies explanation...which is why I love it.)

The Cars - "Shake It Up"  (Extraordinarily silly and fun.  It never gets old.)

Rolling Stones - "Waiting On A Friend" (as casual and easy as a video gets; a delicious conceit but a satisfying one)

And it must be said:

U2 - "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (from the live video at Red Rocks; it's rare that a band is captured in the moment right as it becomes a supernova; this is one of those times.)

to be continued...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'm finding it very tough to narrow my videos down to 1 or 2 choices.There's been some great ones mentioned already.So,here's a fewof mine (not including Weird Al videos),which are subject to change:

Sabatoge - Beastie Boys 

http://www.mtv.com/videos/beastie-boys/18186/sabotage.jhtml

Dani California - Red Hot Chili Peppers 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb5aq5HcS1A

Pretty fly (for a white guy) - Offspring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzY2Qcu5i2A  

Rock the cradle of love - Billy Idol  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCZuYS-9qaw  

Hell in a bucket - Grateful Dead  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH7I6ibA-SM      

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoryFromMeffa. Show GregoryFromMeffa's posts

Thriller and Take on Me (Ah Ha)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Add:

Crowded House - "Don't Dream It's Over"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie

Once in a lifetime - Talking Heads

she blinded me with science - Thomas Dolby

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I should probably preface this answer by stating that I've never cared much for music videos and rarely watched them even in MTV's heyday. I much prefer the videos that play in my head when I listen to the music. Call me crazy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if the musicians can't get their point across through the music, I'm not likely to gain very much by looking at the random images they (well . . .   most of them at any rate) throw together to make their little song into a movie.

I suppose I'm just cynical, but all that said -- and with the benefit of good ol' 20/20 hindsight, my favorite music video has become Bruce Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark.

Now, I'll have to admit that much of my current disdain for a guy who was once one of my great heroes is mostly political -- which we're not going to get into here -- you've got to admit that Bruce really chanelled his inner deuschebag in that video.

It probably says more about me than it does about Springsteen, but it's been some three decades since that video began eating away at my teenage illusions and the fact that it was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the title of this thread would seem to suggest some significance.

Okay, maybe "favorite" isn't the right word, but the only other one I could think of was whatever video the boys were watching when Butthead said, "Beavis, Poison is chicks!"

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

Fight For Your Right To Party Beastie Boys  Dumb Fun
    Boys of Summer   Don Henley
    This Notes For You  Neil Young

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Four great recent ones:

Here we go magic - "How Do I Know" (The song may scream indie rock 2012 but the video is wonderful and I actually like the song).

Justice - "New Lands" (looks like it costs a million bucks to make and you can never have enough Snake Pliskin referances in life)

Shakira - "Rabiosa" in spanish (Maybe you don't like listening to modern disco but looking at her dance to it is outstanding and the songs pretty good if you have an open mind).

Tame Impala - "Mind Mischief" (pretty R rated, you will not be seeing it on MTV)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Miss You - Rolling Stones (memories of my church clothes I once had like Jagger has in this video).