Who is your favorite Boston musician and why?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

Re: Who is your favorite Boston musician and why?

Forgot about the Lyres.  Should be high on the list.  Again, very Boston.
    Missing Persons doesn't count.  They're an LA band.
    And while Throwing Muses is really a Newport band, including Springfield (or Amherst) bands requires you include Newport.  In that case Throwing Muses really has to be top 5.  Way more influential than the Pixies, but not quite as much as Burma or Modern Lovers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

In Response to Re: Who is your favorite Boston musician and why?:
    [QUOTE]How about Billy Squire, wasn't he from Wellesley? And wasn't Terry Bozio from Missing Persons from the area? MAN, I can almost get a rush now thinking about ALL these bands.....
    Posted by RazzMattazz[/QUOTE]

Billy Squire had one record and he's actually on the list.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

Surprised (and thankful) no one has said GG Allin or Sleep Chamber.

Ah, a few HSR requests, but the Zulus are to HSR what the Lyres is to DMZ.  Zulus belong on this list mid-way, but near the top of the list of the would have should haves.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbsmallberries. Show jbsmallberries's posts

I voted for the Cars because of they had an edge to their music yet they still sold tons of records during their brief career (plus I saw them perform a bunch of times and once sat with Ben Orr at an Ultravox show at the Paradise).

If I had voted based on length of career and sales I would have voted for either Aerosmith or James Taylor.  Mission of Burma and the Pixies are my personal faves.  I never knew Dick Dale was from Quincy and he may be the most influential of all, but on the left coast.

I think Willie Alexander and Seatrain (who were Marblehead based for a while) should have made the list.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from irrelevant88. Show irrelevant88's posts

I guess I came here to say how much I dislike aerosmith and that seeing them voted as number one band out of boston is a huge oversight of the real talent that comes out of boston, but I suppose I must consider the community that follows the boston globe, which is mostly baby boomers...

Anyways, I was hoping to see more current acts like Piebald or Converge at least mentioned, but I can see this is just a pony show for you old folks so I'll let you have your fun. Also, I didn't vote for anyone but it would have been either for James Taylore, Dinosaur Jr., Mission of Burma, The Cars or Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbsmallberries. Show jbsmallberries's posts

Bonnie Raitt grew up in California but she started performing while she was living in Cambridge in the late '60's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devoeted2RON. Show devoeted2RON's posts

Favorite Boston group is New Edition! They were all I had as a teenager growing up the were the new "Jackson 5" and they represented very well. I still follow them today and attend concerts everytime I can.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devoeted2RON. Show devoeted2RON's posts

New Edition 100% they were the new "Jackson 5" for our time in the 80's New Edition was the rising boy band and we loved them. Today I still go to their concerts whenever they are close to Nashville. I LOVE New Edition!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Justinboot. Show Justinboot's posts

Justin boots and music

Look closely and you’ll find your favorite celebrities in Justin Boots. George Strait, Tracy Byrd and Terri Clark take the stage in their favorite style, while Nolan Ryan and Randy White wear Justin Boots off the field.

These days some of the brightest stars on the country music scene can be seen in Justin Boots-Terri Clark, Tracy Byrd, and George Strait to name just a few. Justin Boots have long been affiliated with music and the Western lifestyle. Terri Clark–Born in Quebec, Canada, but with strong roots from her childhood home of Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada writing and singing country music just comes naturally for Terri Clark.

A multi-talented musician, Terri not only sings, she also plays the guitar, drums, piano, and cowbell. She is known for high-energy performances and songs from the heart, which have earned her gold and platinum albums. Terri says that her new album “Fearless” has led her full circle – and helped her grow as a musician. An evolution in her career, “Fearless” has helped Terri realize “what she wants to be when she grows up.”

Favorite Justin Boots: Style #L8933 – Black Full Quill Ostrich Western—Tracy Byrd–His recognizable rich baritone and hit singles like “Holdin’ Heaven” and “The Keeper of the Stars” have sold more than five million albums over the course of his career. A native Texan, Tracy Byrd enjoys giving back to the community that gave so much to him. The annual Tracy Byrd Homecoming Weekend has raised over $350,000 for his hometown of Beaumont, Texas since 1994. An avid interest in the outdoors led to Tracy’s role as a spokesperson for the TNN Outdoors Program and the release of a charity album called the “Wonders of Wildlife” to help protect various native animals and their natural habitats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmersh. Show rmersh's posts

Re: No Sheila Divine?

In Response to No Sheila Divine?:
    [QUOTE]What about O-Positive, Tribe???  Hello!
    Posted by Joshtheteacher[/QUOTE]

Yes, where are they?  Late 80s/early 90s they were huge.  I still pull out Abort and Sleeper on occasion.  A shame Tribe didn't stick together; had Sleeper not been so over-produced and had they hung together I think they would have gone very far.

Great reminiscing though...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GElligan. Show GElligan's posts

J Geils Band seems to be the best of the lot, although I'm not too high on them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I guess I came here to say how much I dislike aerosmith and that seeing them voted as number one band out of boston is a huge oversight of the real talent that comes out of boston, but I suppose I must consider the community that follows the boston globe, which is mostly baby boomers... Anyways, I was hoping to see more current acts like Piebald or Converge at least mentioned, but I can see this is just a pony show for you old folks so I'll let you have your fun. Also, I didn't vote for anyone but it would have been either for James Taylore, Dinosaur Jr., Mission of Burma, The Cars or Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
    Posted by irrelevant88[/QUOTE]

If you dislike Aerosmith, that is probably because you only know the 80's - 2010 version. Their first 5 albums were serious.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]New Edition 100% they were the new "Jackson 5" for our time in the 80's New Edition was the rising boy band and we loved them. Today I still go to their concerts whenever they are close to Nashville. I LOVE New Edition!
    Posted by devoeted2RON[/QUOTE]

This makes me very sad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bupkisboy. Show bupkisboy's posts

The Pilgrims, with Lennie Baker.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Larrygcmt. Show Larrygcmt's posts

Galaxie 500 and Amanda Palmer over the Del Fuegos? Puh-leeez.
    Stompers, Face to Face, Fools, Barence Whitfield and the Savages, Dispatch.

J.Giel's Band over all the others. The best live shows ever. I thought the
    Boston Garden was going to crack at one of thier Christmas shows and
    did'nt they used to play Walpole State every year?
     Seems like this town is buried in  whiney, over serious, self absorbed
    white guys who don't have a clue how to ROCK!
     It's supposed to be FUN people....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonMusiclover. Show BostonMusiclover's posts

MASS!!!!!!!!!! Wiith over 25 years of Rockin Boston & 7 Major release's to date! MASS should have been a Major consideration! The band is still Rocking today with the brand new Awesome 2010 Relase called "Sea Of Black" which is being considered by critics around the world as the best melodic hard rock CD of the year! And while not resting on there past success with there MTV & radio hit
     "Do you love me" MASS Still Rocks today!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from drummerboy74. Show drummerboy74's posts

[QUOTE]Extreme, hands down.  I love their diversity.  They're a rock band, but are capable of so much more than just rock.  Someone once asked me why I get so excited when a new Extreme record comes out.  My reply: "It's like opening a Christmas present.  You never know what you're going to get."  They push the envelope and test the waters and I LOVE that.  They're not afraid to try something new and different.  Case in point, Nuno touring with Rihanna.  He's going to bring back things from that experience that will only enhance whatever Extreme decides to do next. They're true to who they are as artists and musicians and they write from their hearts and their souls.  It gives the music a depth, for me, that no one else's music has.  I relate to it on deep and profound levels.  They're uber talented, and live they are one of the best bands out there.  The chemistry is amazing.  They're always on.  They rock my face off, every single time, with just their instruments and their voices.  No outrageous costumes, no pyrotechnics, no laser light shows, no special effects.  Just the guys and their instruments and voices...plus some amps and microphones. They're amazing and I can't WAIT for the next record.  It's going to be awesome!
    Posted by buddingnovelist[/QUOTE]

Thank GOD someone finally mentioned the best band on the face of the planet (nevermind Boston)- EXTREME!!!  Do yourselves a favor and pick up "III Sides to Every Story"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougHamilt. Show DougHamilt's posts

My favorite Boston musician is the Heavy Rock Band MASS with Louis St. August as lead singer.  Their current CD release "Sea Of Black" is the best rock and roll recording of the year.  MASS's Live Concerts are #1 in the Music Industry!  MASS started in 1979, and they keep getting better each year!!  At least a GRAMMY 2010 for MASS!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aristonice. Show aristonice's posts

If you're keeping this list strictly to "pop music," as the title suggests, then I have to question why a good chunk of the bands are on here (Mission to Burma?!). Don't get me wrong, I love the Pixies, but they are not a pop act.

It's criminal that you forgot The Neighborhoods.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]  MASS!!!!!!!!!! Wiith over 25 years of Rockin Boston & 7 Major release's to date! MASS should have been a Major consideration! The band is still Rocking today with the brand new Awesome 2010 Relase called "Sea Of Black" which is being considered by critics around the world as the best melodic hard rock CD of the year! And while not resting on there past success with there MTV & radio hit  "Do you love me" MASS Still Rocks today!!!
    Posted by BostonMusiclover[/QUOTE]

I think I remember this band. I tried to find them on Youtube but couldn't. They had a song/video that had some airlpay on MTV. I don't remember the song, but the video had a couple of roadies setting things up and some pretty hot chicks. If you happen to know this song, I would really appreciate it if you could leave that information here. My friend Walter played one of the roadies in the video.

Thanks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

1. Pixies
    2. Mission of Burma
    3. O Positive