Yet another.........LIST!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Yet another.........LIST!

LED ZEPPELIN - THE MOST INFLUENTIAL BAND OF ALL TIME!

Listeners of the award winning radio station Planet Rock have named Led Zeppelin as the most influential rock band of all time.

Planet Rock asked listeners to vote for the artist or band that they thought were the most influential in the world of rock. With thousands of votes cast over the first three weeks of February, Led Zeppelin topped the poll, taking a massive one fifth of all the votes. In second place was Queen, with Black Sabbath taking up third position.

Planet Rock will be paying homage to these groundbreaking influential heroes on Saturday 23rd February at 7pm with Darren Redick.

Here’s the top ten:

1. Led Zeppelin
    2. Queen
    3. Black Sabbath
    4. Pink Floyd
    5. Deep Purple
    6. Jimi Hendrix
    7. The Rolling Stones
    8. The Who
    9. AC/DC
    10. David Bowie

I know, I know everyone has a list BUT do you think the state of music as it is today is in anyway as good as it was back in the 60's-70's? Do you think the musical landscape would have changed in any way if one of these artist's listed - didn't exist?

NOTE: The abscence of the Beatles negates the validity of the list - IMHO.

Thoughts????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Yet another.........LIST!

No Beatles...that's a bit shocking.  I voted for the Beatles BTW

Sabbath at 3 and Purple at 5...looks like a classic hard rock audience there.  Good list except for the shocking omission of the Beatles.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

There must be a reason for why the Beatles aren't listed...even if the focus is "rock" instead of "pop". (I've seen some lists omitting them out of a perceived 'fairness'.)

Cream and The Kinks would likely have made my list (from that era).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The most influential rockers of all time ( I agree with my friend Hf) ...has got to be the Beatles.

My list would be like this ( and unlike many of the people who probab;y voted on this poll, I have lived through just about the entire History of Rock Music):

1. Beatles

1A.  Elvis Presley

2. Rolling Stones

2A. Bob Dylan

3. Chuck Berry

4. The Who

5. Eric Clapton/ Cream

6. Jimi Hendrix

7. The Animals

8. Black Sabbath

9. Neil Young

10. The Velvet Underground

I love Bowie, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Queen , and I count Deep Purple as possibly my favorite group...but I don't see any of those as being particularly "influential."

Perhaps these people misunderstood the question and just voted for their favorite bands?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Does Zepp even make the most influential list?

I mean... it's not like they were the only contemporanous proto-metal/hard rock band.

Love their stuff, but they strike me as more influenced than influential. 

I think the major influence of Zepp on other bands is the light-and-shade/soft-and-heavy aspect of their sound, along with the 'Lord of the Rings' type imagery.  You can start with Queen and go from there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

No Beatles...that's a bit shocking.  I voted for the Beatles BTW

Sabbath at 3 and Purple at 5...looks like a classic hard rock audience there.  Good list except for the shocking omission of the Beatles.

I have no opinion on this, and didn't vote, but I looked at the website per Roger's link, and they have a list of artists that they play on the station; it's quite extensive, and they specifically state that all of the artists they play are listed.  

Well ...  guess who's missing?  The Beatles.  

The possible reason that the Beatles did not make the influential list may be because Planet Rock does not play them on their station.  From that standpoint, I'd call the voting somewhat rigged, b/c the Beatles would not be on the average listener's radar.  Can't say for sure, but it's a possibility.  What classic rock station doesn't play the Beatles?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

What classic rock station doesn't play the Beatles?  

Maybe one that isn't licensed to do so...?  e.g. iTunes not too long ago.

I guess some radio websites have some holes in their programming....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

No Beatles - no list. Kind of silly to me. I was recently listening to Motley Crue's "Dr. Feelgood" album and you can hear almost a pure rip from the Beatles on one particular song.

That being said - love that Queen is mentioned at #2. personally, I believe that The Who are more influential than Zep, but Zep certainly has a place in the top 10.

Zila - where is Cheap Trick on your list?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

No Beatles - no list. Kind of silly to me. I was recently listening to Motley Crue's "Dr. Feelgood" album and you can hear almost a pure rip from the Beatles on one particular song.

Yes.  The song is 'Slice of Your Pie', and the rip isn't almost, it's total - it's the supercool guitar line from 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)'.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Y'know who's missing? All of the acts that inspired these bands. Where is Chuck Berry? Elvis? Little Richard? C'mon people! Rock and roll wasn't invented in the 60's!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Zila - where is Cheap Trick on your list?

Oh snap, and what about Milli Vanilli?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Y'know who's missing? All of the acts that inspired these bands. Where is Chuck Berry? Elvis? Little Richard? C'mon people! Rock and roll wasn't invented in the 60's!

Agreed, but we have discussed that all music is derivative here. It seems each decade takes the baton and runs with it in terms of making music. 50's started it, 60's got influenced by drugs & war, 70's more guitar driven RnR, the 80's brought us "synthesizer overload" - 90's more of the same. And from about 2000 on Auto Tune/Over Produced/Manufactured "crap" pushed by marketing executives....and that is the evolution of RnR music. ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

It may not have been invented in the 60's and the 50's certainly influenced what was to come. But in the end, what came out between 1963 and 1977 was clearly the golden age of Rock and Roll.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't think it is a stretch to say that the most influential music acts in relation to Rock are not Rock acts. Folk, Blues and to some extent Jazz and Classical all had a part in influencing our favorite rock acts. Folk artists like Woody Guthrie influenced Bob Dylan, Neil Young and much of the California artists of the 70s ( Warren Zevon, Jackson Browne, Grateful Dead, etc.), these Rock artists went on to influence others. Jazz had it's influence on Chicago, Steely Dan and to some extent Springsteen and Bowie ( who use saxophone frequently in many tracks). Classical influenced ELP, Deep Purple , Rainbow ...closing title track of the LP Difficult To Cure is subtitled 'Beethoven's Ninth.' The Blues influenced everybody from ZZTop to Clapton to Ten Years After to the Yardbirds to Rory Gallagher to Robin Trower....and on and on and on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I don't think it is a stretch to say that the most influential music acts in relation to Rock are not Rock acts. Folk, Blues and to some extent Jazz and Classical all had a part in influencing our favorite rock acts. Folk artists like Woody Guthrie influenced Bob Dylan, Neil Young and much of the California artists of the 70s ( Warren Zevon, Jackson Browne, Grateful Dead, etc.), these Rock artists went on to influence others. Jazz had it's influence on Chicago, Steely Dan and to some extent Springsteen and Bowie ( who use saxophone frequently in many tracks). Classical influenced ELP, Deep Purple , Rainbow ...closing title track of the LP Difficult To Cure is subtitled 'Beethoven's Ninth.' The Blues influenced everybody from ZZTop to Clapton to Ten Years After to the Yardbirds to Rory Gallagher to Robin Trower....and on and on and on.

Agreed!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I will use another's quote on this. They are a band called OK Go - They cite everything that came after the Beatles were influenced by the Beatles and they go on to say that the Beatles even influenced the bands and artists that came before them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Echoing others, no Beatles makes the list almost irreverent. Also, the Clash has to be  in there. They were  the most  influential band on the so-called  punk scene. I'm not necessarily against Queen's presence,  but at No.  2 seems a bit  absurd. Sabbath and Deep Purple (?) being ahead of Hendrix,  the Stones and the Who is also kind of nuts.

In summary: The list is out of whack.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I guess this is where the great I&I conversation always appears. Getting past the Beatles and dealing with everything else. If you were to draw a family tree, we can probably say that because of the Stones, Who, Kinks, Purple, Zep and Sabbath, we can generate most of the branches in RnR. As for Hendrix, his influence has more to do with the guitar than the actual music. Not saying that the musical direction he took wasn't influential, it just wasn't as great as the other bands listed.

I put Hendrix in the same category as the Yardbirds as far as influence is concerned. if Hendrix had lived, then I believe his musical influence would have been just as great as his guitar influence.

As for Queen, I love that they are listed. I think they were an extremely influential band who were very much at the top of the innovation game as well. I put Queen in the same category as David Bowie & Pink Floyd.

Last band - The Clash - yes, estremely influential during the punk scene and loved the hybid music they did with reggae. But you can draw a very distinct line on the family tree from the Who to the Clash. Same as Kinks to the Jam and then Oasis.