Your Concert "Bucket List"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Your Concert "Bucket List"

Yes, I'm still down in the dumps over the loss of Lou Reed this past weekend.  It's a difficult sorrow to express, but a very real one for me personally.  One aspect to this is the fact that I never got to see him live.  (That's what I get for procrastinating!)

On the other hand, I recently got to see Robert Hunter - one of my all-time favorite songwriters/lyricists - on stage, and it was an experience I'll always treasure.  Robert had been seriously ill for a few years, so opportunities were scarce.

Same goes for Levon Helm, whom I was lucky enough to catch at GOTV in 2011.  Though I've never seen The Band, his show was uplifting and fulfilling enough.

Such is the struggle of being too young to see so many of my favorite classic acts in their primes (or intact for that matter).

So, which artists are on your high priority list to see in your (or their) lifetime...?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Re: Your Concert

Well, I'd like to see the Keys if they come around.

I'd like to see the Stones, but I'll never shell out that much for them. If you had a time machine and could whisk me back to the late 60s or early 70s to catch them at their peak, I could see dropping some serious cash...but...     not now.

Zeppelin would be nice if they ever change their minds, but again, it just wouldn't be the same ......and would likely be obscenely expensive.

I'll be happy if J.Geils and Slash continue to periodically come around... 

I might consider seeing the new iteration of AIC, but I just don't know. Every time I try to give them a chance, I just don't like the singing.

Layne was perfect with Cantrell. The new guy is (1) too much like Cantrell, and (2) too 'soft'/'smooth' for the same harmonies and non-harmonies to work.

On the other hand, Cantrell often seems even more 'metal' with his riffs.....ie, the video for "Stone" up on youtube, from the most recent album.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

So many of the good ones are already gone, with more departing all the time, that it might be more appropriate for me now to list the artists I want to see in the afterlife. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I was at the Daytona 500 in 1993 and saw Dale Jarrett beat out Dale Earnhardt by a whisker....the most thrilling event I have ever seen live.

I've been to Fenway Park when Yastrzemski was in his prime.

Watched Don Cherry's Bruins beat the Montreal Canadiens 7-3 in a regular season game in the 70s.

I saw Neil Young and Stephen Stills in 1976 in Providence. A great show.

I saw Raiders Of The Lost Ark twice on the big screen.

My bucket list has been complete for a long time.

I never saw Deep Purple live. With no Ritchie and Jon dead, it's not ever going to be the same. I've accepted that.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I've never seen the peak lineup of Fleetwood Mac, but I agree that price can be a hindrance...especially for some of the nostalgia acts.  I would gladly settle for Lindsay Buckingham solo, though.

Robin Trower would be cool...not a huge fan, but I like what I've heard.

Richard Thompson was pretty big 'get' for me this year.

Jethro Tull is on the list.  As are Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears.  Yes would be interesting, too.  These also generally fall into the high price bracket.

Joni Mitchell would have been great too, but I understand why she doesn't tour any more.

My biggest dream is seeing a reformed Talking Heads.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

That one will really sting,  but I've had a long series of passing that have made me feel really old.    The first of those that really stung wasn't even musical.  I had a well worn copy of "Electric Koolaid Acid Test", and when Ken Kesey passed it was huge, he took an entire era with him.  More so than Garcia's passing. 

Ken Kesey's passing saddened me as well.  One of the great characters of the Sixties, and a brilliant novelist.  Cuckoo's Nest is one of my favorite books.  As is the Koolaid Acid Test. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Robin Trower 'Living Out of Time' concert DVD recorded in 2005 is outstanding. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Robin Trower 'Living Out of Time' concert DVD recorded in 2005 is outstanding. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  I'll check it out.  

I came to his stuff late in life, but from what I hear, he hasn't really lost a step.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Not sure I believe in bucket lists (sort of a bummer), so I'll paraphrase a line from John Lennon which is more my philosophy: "Life is what happens, while you're busy making other plans."

It's good to have goals and lists of what you want to accomplish, don't get me wrong; I make lists all the time.    But living in the moment is just as important, and going back to the OP, one goal in general, should simply be to try not to procrastinate.   If you have an opportunity to see a band, and you can afford it, grab it.   

My "goal" list for acts I'd like to see is a moving target, but the main, steadfast musician is Loreena McKennitt, a Celtic hybrid, and a ticket to see her would be a dream.   

Fleetwood Mac, for classics, is another one.   I mentioned that John McVie's newly diagnosed cancer has sadly come into view, and they cancelled their world tour.   They are STILL touring the world.  But if anything happens to McVie ... so maybe time is of the essence.   

I'd love to see Heart, too, thanks in part to the forum turning me on to their greatness.   The Pet Shop Boys would be a blast, too.   Roxy Music, in their day, I would have jumped at the chance to see.    Waddup now?   Bryan Ferry solo?  

A few years ago, I would have said Coachella.  Now, I would not go out of my way.  

I'd love, however, to attend Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit Concert.   

Keep the eyes and ears open for opportunities.  I saw Allison Krauss free last summer.  Now *that* was a steal.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Just the Mummies, have seen all the others I know I want to.  The last time the Mummies were in Europe they played the day my little daughter was born so at least I knew months in advance I couldn't go.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Ive been very fortunate to see so many concerts over the years and almost everyone I eve wanted... A few bands out today that I would like to catch though are No Age, Arcade Fire, and Palma Violets